X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SteveRiley: colorless green ideas sleep furiously
    Yes, interesting. As is this correct sentence:
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

For this (and a diagram of it) and other such grammatically correct constructions, see
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffal...uffalo_buffalo
    For example,
    James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_...on_the_teacher
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I find this discussion to be counter-propaganda. Thread closed!

Comment

Not to worry folks, it's open again, alive and well
        Is it de-dogding, or de-bunking?
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          The ideas of Lee Smolin are a counter to such multiverse concepts, which appear to this layman as unscientific. And, hence, nonsense, not even wrong.

Regards, John Little
          I mis-wrote. I should have said "raisin bran theory", in line with apple pie and cabbage. My poor attempt at humor aside, I've read two of Lee Smolin's books (The Trouble With Physics & the Singular Universe.) I plan to read Time Reborn next.

He wrote a perfect description of physics as it is today: "When you know the history of physics you are painfully aware of how much each era overestimates the scope of its understanding. Science progresses well, but at each stage, we embrace metaphysical fantasies that seem motivated by the science but come to look silly when people come to know more in the future. As Brian Eno once said, “Nothing so dates an era as its conception of the When you know the history of physics you are painfully aware of how much each era overestimates the scope of its understanding. Science progresses well, but at each stage, we embrace metaphysical fantasies that seem motivated by the science but come to look silly when people come to know more in the future. As Brian Eno once said, “Nothing so dates an era as its conception of the future.”.”

In his 1987 book, A Brief History of Time, Hawking admits to a philosophical interpretation of the Cosmological Constant because he couldn't explain its necessity. With his version of the Matrix Brane Theory he explains away the philosophical component and declares that there is no need for a First Cause. They only problem, which Brane Theory believers gloss over, or overlook, is that the theory is not falsifiable, which puts it in the same category as religion.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 18, 2015, 08:28 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

is that the theory is not falsifiable,
            That's also, partly, what I meant to say.

Comment

Back on track, a little.
              Which one, I dunnno.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	ArchBaby.png
Views:	1
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	642908

wtf happened to attachments??

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                Back on track, a little.
                Which one, I dunnno.......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6100[/ATTACH]

wtf happened to attachments??
                Fixed (again). Sorry.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                X