This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The different types of Linux users based on their distributions

Scroll down to the bottom of the first page, where 10 types are featured.

http://www.itworld.com/article/28322...fessional.html

Isn't this the view we tend to have of distro types?! Except Mint. What's up with that profile? (I'm not a MInt user, but I know some.)

Tell me there is no such thing as profiling! (Actually, we know there is--CIA/FBI types earn their living analyzing such. Some uses are illegal. Fortunately, all distributions are legal )
    Last edited by Qqmike; Jun 12, 2015, 05:12 AM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Gentoo Sumo
    Boot Info Script

Comment

It pisses me off that *I* am not represented there! How come there's the assumption that only MALES use Linux? Ugh.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
        It pisses me off that *I* am not represented there! How come there's the assumption that only MALES use Linux? Ugh.
        ya I know ,,right

by the way I do not think this is a new graphic ,,,,I remember it from years ago ,,,,,,,I think.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You know, when I STARTED using *nix back in the mid-'80s, it was unusual for women to be in computing at all. As I became a system administrator and programmer, I knew I was in a VERY small minority. But 30 years later, the assumption STILL holds that men are the only ones who are geeks, or Linux geeks, or computing-in-general geeks, etc. And I don't like it.
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

by the way I do not think this is a new graphic ,,,,I remember it from years ago ,,,,,,,I think.

VINNY
            Right, me, too, but I couldn't remember if it was the same or better. Maybe NOW it makes more sense to me than when I first saw it.

DIY -- agree about the gender issue wrt computing. Maybe similar--but changing quickly--for math, science, and engineering. Way back, when I was teaching math in college--trig, algebra, calc, geometry--I enjoyed the female students more than most of the males. NO, not for that reason (although I did marry one of them), but they were serious, attentive, polite, respectful, and had a nice, focused perspective on the math, a fresh perspective, imo. A lot of males, let's face it, are straight-up a*holes with a strong need to stand atop the teacher's desk and pound their chest. It could be one problem--of many--this world has: we need more women leaders.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

The Diesel engine factory I worked in the early 1970's had some mainframe and ALL operators were female.
              Because I worked in the electrical maintenance dept. I had the joyful privilege to be allowed in that room.
              I can tell you there was nothing nerdy about those fine young ladies!

Comment

There are many stereotypes of various linux users

Gentoo "ricers", back in the day, who have sort of been replaced by Arch fanbois who can't seem to go anywhere without extolling the virtues, perfection, and superiority Arch at every opportunity and even make sure that there always is the opportunity to do so.

Click image for larger version

Name:	my_photo-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	642884

Here is what this Kubuntu user looks like.

He still has a couple of hairs left.

Yeah, I just got a new webcam, and haven't hat thr chance to use it for anything yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  DIY -- agree about the gender issue wrt computing. Maybe similar--but changing quickly--for math, science, and engineering. Way back, when I was teaching math in college--trig, algebra, calc, geometry--I enjoyed the female students more than most of the males. NO, not for that reason (although I did marry one of them), but they were serious, attentive, polite, respectful, and had a nice, focused perspective on the math, a fresh perspective, imo. A lot of males, let's face it, are straight-up a*holes with a strong need to stand atop the teacher's desk and pound their chest. It could be one problem--of many--this world has: we need more women leaders.
                  You've put that very well. When I was pre-med in college, I took five math courses: intermediate algebra, college algebra, trigonometry, analytic geometry, and calculus. In each of those classes, I had the highest grade of all students, all at least in the high 90s, with a couple of them at 100+ (thanks to bonus questions on tests). I have to admit it made me feel, I don't know, triumphant?, well, SOMETHING, to best the guys in the classes. They came in thinking they were it...only to be bested by a GIRL! (Yeah, woman, whatever. I didn't start college until I was 26. I waited until my daughter was in third grade before I returned to school.)

You know what's really funny? My father-in-law, whom I adored, and who treated me like his flesh and blood daughter, and vice versa, was a college math professor. He and two of his sons have the 'math gene'--but his third child, my husband, DOES NOT. But *I* do. So we'd have these conversations, like, um, HOW did this happen? The math gene skipped hubby but came to me...interesting... (I should note that my father, whom I had virtually no relationship with for most of my life, was an engineer, and my maternal uncle was a physician, so we're not exactly math slouches on this side of the family--but it was more fun figuring out how a gene could hop and skip!)

Comment

Here's this Kubuntu user:
                    Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

and this Kubuntu user

hunting windows boxes ,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

And...

Name:	image32.png
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	642886
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My God man ,,,,,,,,,,they all look like they could be the person of interest in a episode of "Criminal Minds"

RUN

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

Selfies? OK, here's mine.

Name:	selfie.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	642887
                            Sorry, that's the biggest camera I have.

Ken.
                            Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

This is becoming an interesting twist to the OP. Maybe it should be enhanced with, "I'll show mine if XYZ shows theirs"! One does get curious about what all the renegades look like, who owns the silver bullet.

Comment

Working...
                              X