This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrSteve View Post
    from what i have read about 'jessie' if you do not put in a root password it locks the root account and the first user becomes admin using sudo
    very similar to kubuntu i believe ...
    It didn't lock up on me. It just returned the command prompt.
    https://www.linux.com/community/blog...n-introduction
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

i am reading the install instructions for 'jessie' here
      http://www.tecmint.com/debian-8-inst...ezy-to-jessie/

the part about root password and sudo is in section number 5.
      Hope this helps. Steve ...
      Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, except bad news.
      Shuttle XS35 - Intel Atom 1.6 - 4GB Ram - 500GB HDD - Linux Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by MrSteve View Post
        i am reading the install instructions for 'jessie' here
        http://www.tecmint.com/debian-8-inst...ezy-to-jessie/

the part about root password and sudo is in section number 5.
        That happens ONLY if you do not assign a password to root during the installation when setting up the root account.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 01, 2015, 01:58 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

if i install 'jessie' then that’s how i will install it, without a root password ...

from my first post ...
          from what i have read about 'jessie' if you do not put in a root password it locks the root account and the first user becomes admin using sudo
          very similar to kubuntu i believe ...
          Last edited by MrSteve; Jun 30, 2015, 10:45 PM.
          Hope this helps. Steve ...
          Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, except bad news.
          Shuttle XS35 - Intel Atom 1.6 - 4GB Ram - 500GB HDD - Linux Kubuntu

Comment

That's one way to do it, but you can also give root a password and then modify the installation later to make sudo work normally while still keeping the root password. Later you can undo that.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Watching you absorb Linux like a sponge is why I asked you to replace me as an administrator on this forum. And this forum has benefited immensely.
              Aww *blush*

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                After a while I decided to see how Btfs played under JessieKDE.
                After I installed Debian 8.1, I needed to edit /etc/fstab to mount my btrfs filesystem, which has all my data including all my "notes to self" about Linux configuration items including btrfs. I could not remember what the mount line in siduction looks like since, with compression options -- I hadn't seen it in years, so I just used /dev/sdd (it is actually on /dev/sdd and /dev/sde, but I already knew you only need to list one of the drives on a multi-device btrfs installation). Lo and behold it mounted flawlessly and let me go get the real mount line. I have had exactly zero issues with it. I symlinked my data folders into my new user's folder on Debian and I was done.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
                  so I just used /dev/sdd... Lo and behold it mounted flawlessly and let me go get the real mount line
                  Hold on... a Linux thingy was able to read your mind and figure out what you actually meant? I think this is some kind of new stage of evolution!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    Hold on... a Linux thingy was able to read your mind and figure out what you actually meant? I think this is some kind of new stage of evolution!

Actually it read his fingers when he typed the mount command to manually mount /dev/sdd to /mnt, allowing him to access the fstab file on his btrfs drives. Btrfs is so cool!!!

Comment

My first look at using Btrfs in Jessie:
                      When I created the partition I used the entire disk as "/". Unlike Kubuntu, which creates the subvolumes @/ and @/home which are respresented by "/" and "/home", the ONLY subvolume present in the formated partition on my Jessie installation is "/". All aother directories are just that, directories and not subvolumes.

If I want to make a snapshot of /home/jerry I have to first create the subvolume /home-temp and the subvolume /home-temp/jerry-temp. Then I have to use the cp command (with reflink) to copy the contents of /home to /home-temp and /home/jerry to /home/jerry-temp. Then chown /home-temp/jerry-temp to me, delete /home/jerry and /home, then mv /home-temp to /home and /home-temp-jerry-temp to /home/jerry. THEN I can make snapshots of /home or /home/jerry. However, links and sockets are always problematic wihen using cp.

Obviously I need to rethink the partition and reinstall Jessie using more like what Kubuntu does automatically when installing with Btrfs.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                        If I want to make a snapshot of /home/jerry I have to first create the subvolume /home-temp and the subvolume /home-temp/jerry-temp. Then I have to use the cp command (with reflink) to copy the contents of /home to /home-temp and /home/jerry to /home/jerry-temp. Then chown /home-temp/jerry-temp to me, delete /home/jerry and /home, then mv /home-temp to /home and /home-temp-jerry-temp to /home/jerry. THEN I can make snapshots of /home or /home/jerry. However, links and sockets are always problematic wihen using cp.
                        You are seriously saying it is that arduous? Oh, so you can only create snapshots of subvolumes and you want to turn them into subvolumes. And that's what you did here. How come you copied both /home and /home/jerry? Wouldn't that be double?

Obviously I need to rethink the partition and reinstall Jessie using more like what Kubuntu does automatically when installing with Btrfs.
                        Personally I am still not happy with Linux' data setup. There is /home but I prefer /home to be small, a hub of sorts. When I have a system, and work with a system, I want to use the entirety of the (addressing) space, not confine myself to /home/user, because, for one, the path is too long. /home/user/projects is fine as a symlink but not as a full path. Too arduous to type, to reference. So I will attempt to reduce it to /store/projects. In Windows it'd perhaps be D:/projects. Then there is /usr/local which is interesting from a custom-system pov. You could use it to place extra software (e.g. the Steam client and games). In Ubuntu Steam is installed in $HOME/.steam or $HOME/.local/Steam (depending on package, the Ubuntu package does the former, the Valve package the latter (which I prefer, more organisation)). But you can install games in an additional library (yay, user friendliness) and /usr/local goes pretty much unused. You can also store custom built apps there. But since I don't like the Linux directory structure and its naming, I symlink it to /store/local so I'll have /store/local/Steam or /store/local/games/Steam.

Then I'll have /store/audio and /store/video and possibly /store/download and /store/setup and it'll be like what I had when I used windows .

But then becomes the question of how to encrypt separate volumes and argh.

Comment

Unfortunately, I've come across no other installer that uses subvolumes automatically at install time except Kubuntu. My idea is to not only have the installer use subvolumes, but to also allow you to specify the subvolume name at install time. Then you can install numerous distros or versions to the same btrfs file system without any of the above shenanigans like Jerry is going through.

Please Read Me

Comment

Do you realise you are now asking distribution installers to obtain extra features based and meant solely for a single filesystem, even surpassing or shoving aside LVM? LVM is the appropriate thing to obtain support from installers and it sits in the right layer (above the filesystem, being filesystem agnostic). This is precisely the sort of fuss I was making about BTRFS, why should a FILESYSTEM be specifically catered to, replacing or displacing the support that would otherwise exist for LVM? Suddenly we get a call for functionality that centers solely around BTRFS because no other filesystem makes use of it. Why then design specifically for it? Meanwhile the graphical installer is so poor you can't do half the **** the Debian text mode installer can do for you. Why not make the graphical installer up to par or install through text mode in the first place? (Is faster too!).

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                              Unfortunately, I've come across no other installer that uses subvolumes automatically at install time except Kubuntu. My idea is to not only have the installer use subvolumes, but to also allow you to specify the subvolume name at install time. Then you can install numerous distros or versions to the same btrfs file system without any of the above shenanigans like Jerry is going through.
                              Have you tried calamares independent linux installer

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
                                LVM is the appropriate thing to obtain support from installers and it sits in the right layer (above the filesystem, being filesystem agnostic). This is precisely the sort of fuss I was making about BTRFS, why should a FILESYSTEM be specifically catered to, replacing or displacing the support that would otherwise exist for LVM? Suddenly we get a call for functionality that centers solely around BTRFS because no other filesystem makes use of it.
                                LVM had to exist because filesystems weren't smart enough to figure on their own how to span a single volume across multiple devices. Thankfully, Btrfs is smart enough and no other layers are necessary. BTW, guess what other file system can already do this: NTFS. So the idea isn't exactly new. Your protestations fall on deaf ears.

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
                                Meanwhile the graphical installer is so poor you can't do half the **** the Debian text mode installer can do for you. Why not make the graphical installer up to par or install through text mode in the first place? (Is faster too!).
                                So use the text installer then, just like I do. Choice is good.

Comment

Working...
                                X