This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent.

Unless an error can be traced to a hardware issue, i.e. by finding dmesg or log entries from the kernel, I would not expect the booted kernel version to have any effect on it. It may have been only coincidental that the problem seemed solved by booting an earlier kernel.

Comment

I noticed the issue of non-functional leave buttons in my guest 0S, one one occasion. I opened a Konsole and used the halt command. The issue hasn't reoccurred.

I'm planning to install Jessie on my HD and use the btrfs. I just backed up all the data in my home account. Probably sometime in the next couple of weeks. When (not if) Kubuntu moves to a Debian base I'll reinstall it.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I noticed the issue of non-functional leave buttons in my guest 0S, one one occasion. I opened a Konsole and used the halt command. The issue hasn't reoccurred.
        So did I. But instead of "halt", I used shutdown -h now. This powered off the system properly. But on next boot-up the Leave menu items were not functional till today as I described in my last post.
        Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 16, 2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
          Excellent.

Unless an error can be traced to a hardware issue, i.e. by finding dmesg or log entries from the kernel, I would not expect the booted kernel version to have any effect on it. It may have been only coincidental that the problem seemed solved by booting an earlier kernel.
          I run demesg and try to attach a copy of it here using .txt file. But the attachment gives an error message. I could not solve it. What do I do wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
            But instead of "halt", I used shutdown -h now.
            With systemd initialization, you can (as root) issue

Code:
            systemctl poweroff
            to shutdown, or

Code:
            systemctl reboot

Comment

Systemd ... systemctl ...
              Take a vacation and one falls irretrievably behind progress...
              A person jumping in a time warp from RH 5 or SuSE 5.2 to Kubuntu 14.04 or most any other distro would be totally lost! Were it not for this forum I'd be a total
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Systemd ... systemctl ...
                Take a vacation and one falls irretrievably behind progress...
                A person jumping in a time warp from RH 5 or SuSE 5.2 to Kubuntu 14.04 or most any other distro would be totally lost! Were it not for this forum I'd be a total
                Very true, GG. Systemd has been a lot to digest, no question about it.

BTW, the official systemd command to shut down X is

Code:
                systemctl isolate multiuser.target
                But on my wired ethernet systems that kills networking too. I learned by experimentation that the command I gave several posts up does indeed kill all the user processes, but leaves networking intact. This is on siduction systems, I haven't tried it on a full Debian stable system.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
                  With systemd initialization, you can (as root) issue

Code:
                  systemctl poweroff
                  to shutdown, or

Code:
                  systemctl reboot
                  Thank you!!

Comment

Does every new version of KDE go to Debian?

By the way, interesting info:
                    http://forums.netrunner.com/showthread.php?tid=17531

https://github.com/netrunner-debian

Comment

Originally posted by gnomek View Post
                      Does every new version of KDE go to Debian?
                      Eventually. But not really quick.

Code:
                      don@debian-8-box:~$ inxi -v3
                      System:    Host: debian-8-box Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4) 
                                 Desktop: KDE 4.14.2 (Qt 4.8.6) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8

Comment

jesse gave me some issues with a laptop wifi during install, asked for some intel files, i make them available but it still does not work right...
                        Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Just to play around and get a sense of JesseKDE 8.1 I installed it as a guest OS using the default fs, EXT4. There were no supprises but some terminology differences. When the install app asked if I wanted to use a "Network Mirror" I assumed they were asking if I wanted a connection to the Debian repository for 8.1. After I clicked "Yes" that's what it turned out to be. I noticed that while my Kubuntu 14.04 installation was running KDE 4.13.3 the KDE in Jessie is running KDE 4.14.2

After a while I decided to see how Btfs played under JessieKDE. I started by deleting the old guest OS and installing a new one. The big difference between their install programs is the absence of an indicator arrow on the dropdown dialog boxes in Jessie, so they did not look like entry boxes of any kind or controls that could be modified. There was no clue that there was a choice available on any of the partition settings. On some screens you select one of several list options (which don't look like options as much as they look like lines of text) and then click the "Continue" button. The partition screen looked similar, except that there was a colon between the lable and its data. Double clicking on the lines caused options to pop up. I changed the default EXST4 to Btrfs, and left the mount point as "/". I changed the boot flag from "no" to "yes" and let "/" take all the virtual drive. Pressing "continue" I was prompted to write the partition configuration to the HD. I was asked where I wanted to write grub and I chose the HD, pressed "Continue" and then the installation started.

When It was done my first action was to oepn a console and see how the subvolume listed. I couldn't do it because Jessie, even when you choose the Btrfs, does not come with btrfs-tools installed. I opened the software manager, Aper, and installed that package.

Jessie uses "su" and during the install you are asked to enter a password for root. This is how the distros I used to use before I switched to Kubuntu. I'm not going to play around to get sudo working, or put myself on the list of sudo users. Su is fine with me I opened a console and entered su btrfs filesystem show / and was immediately rejected instead of being asked for the root password. I entered "su" and my password when asked and then as root entered the above command, sans "su". It presented the Btrfs information. Things look good. I tried the "list" command and several others. Then I entered mount /dev/sda1 /mnt and even though I am runnning live on /dev/sda1 I was able, just like in Kubuntu, to mount it and play around, then umount it. Later on I'm going to start making snapshots and more subvolumes.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            Su is fine with me I opened a console and entered su btrfs filesystem show / and was immediately rejected instead of being asked for the root password.
                            With that command format, su would think you're trying to switch to the user btrfs. Probably not what you intended

Either of these would work:
                            Code:
                            su -- -c btrfs filesystem show /

su -c 'btrfs filesystem show /'
                            But you will, of course, need to know the root password.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                              With that command format, su would think you're trying to switch to the user btrfs. Probably not what you intended

Either of these would work:
                              Code:
                              su -- -c btrfs filesystem show /

su -c 'btrfs filesystem show /'
                              But you will, of course, need to know the root password.
                              You're absolutely right! From 1998 to 2009 I used ditros that had a root password and used "su". Five years with sudo and I forgot entirely the su syntax. I've forgotten so much about Linux, and many other things I used to know and teach. It's sad. Watching you absorb Linux like a sponge is why I asked you to replace me as an administrator on this forum. And this forum has benefited immensely.
                              Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 30, 2015, 06:22 PM.

Comment

from what i have read about 'jessie' if you do not put in a root password it locks the root account and the first user becomes admin using sudo
                                very similar to kubuntu i believe ...
                                Hope this helps. Steve ...
                                Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, except bad news.
                                Shuttle XS35 - Intel Atom 1.6 - 4GB Ram - 500GB HDD - Linux Kubuntu

Comment

Working...
                                X