This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    I must say ,,,that after almost a week of using this Debian-KDE system I can find little difference between it and Kubuntu-14.04 (for me and my usage) after tweaking a few things as usual.
    It dose use slightly less RAM over all ,,,,, Kubuntu will on average be using close to 2Gig's and Debian almost 1Gig ,,,,But with 16Gig available that is nominal .

web browsing (with a cold weasel ,,O iceweasel) seams a tad slower ,,,,as in page loading ,,,still getting around to looking into this one as it is not so slow to be bothersome to me , but slower none the less.

CPU usage seems to be a bit lighter as well over all ,,,like right now my conky load averages are 0.00 0.06 0.11 where doing the same web browsing in Kubuntu will be somthing like 0.45 ,,,,should actually do something the same in both systems for the same amount of time to check this proper I guess

VINNY
    In my case, things are not as well as yours. I am having crashes every now and then. Ice weasel occasionally crashes during browsing and screen goes dark blank. After any crash, I have no access to logout, restart and shutdown, i.e. these on the luncher menu become non-responsive and I have to Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a terminal and power off the system from there. Overall, Debian 8.1, for me, has been unstable. It for sure, again for me, is not Kubuntu in terms of stability.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      I must say ,,,that after almost a week of using this Debian-KDE system I can find little difference between it and Kubuntu-14.04 (for me and my usage) after tweaking a few things as usual.
      It dose use slightly less RAM over all ,,,,, Kubuntu will on average be using close to 2Gig's and Debian almost 1Gig ,,,,But with 16Gig available that is nominal .

web browsing (with a cold weasel ,,O iceweasel) seams a tad slower ,,,,as in page loading ,,,

VINNY
      It was my observation as well that Debian 8 KDE and Kubuntu were almost indistinguishable. Iceweasel seemed as fast as FF, but I double the pipelining.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
        In my case, things are not as well as yours. I am having crashes every now and then. Ice weasel occasionally crashes during browsing and screen goes dark blank. After any crash, I have no access to logout, restart and shutdown, i.e. these on the luncher menu become non-responsive and I have to Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a terminal and power off the system from there. Overall, Debian 8.1, for me, has been unstable. It for sure, again for me, is not Kubuntu in terms of stability.
        If you don't have inxi installed, please (as root)

Code:
        apt-get update && apt-get install inxi
        Then (as user) in konsole run

Code:
        inxi -v3
        and paste that output into a reply here. Assuming stable hardware, you should not be having instability problems with Debian Jessie, so something must be mis-configured.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Iceweasel seemed as fast as FF, but I double the pipelining.
          could you instruct me in that procedure please.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
            You do know that Iceweasel is Firefox that had been re-branded?
            yes

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Enter "about:config" in the URL text of and press Enter.
              Search for "pipeline"
              Double-click on the http pipeline's false box to toggle it to true.
              Change the "4" to "8" as the default minimum.
              Close the tab and browse
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Enter "about:config" in the URL text of and press Enter.
                Search for "pipeline"
                Double-click on the http pipeline's false box to toggle it to true.
                Change the "4" to "8" as the default minimum.
                Close the tab and browse
                thank you Sir that sounds familiar ,,,,,I will give it a go in a few and report back

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Similar settings for Chrome...

chrome://flags/#max-tiles-for-interest-area

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    Similar settings for Chrome...

chrome://flags/#max-tiles-for-interest-area
                    interesting ,,,,,,,chrome is quite fast already,,,,,,,,,the "pipeline" did not change iceweasel however .

VINNY

16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
                      If you don't have inxi installed, please (as root)

Code:
                      apt-get update && apt-get install inxi
                      Then (as user) in konsole run

Code:
                      inxi -v3
                      and paste that output into a reply here. Assuming stable hardware, you should not be having instability problems with Debian Jessie, so something must be mis-configured.
                      Here it is:
                      Code:
                      marco@Lenovo:~$ inxi -v3
                      System:    Host: Lenovo Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4) 
                                 Desktop: KDE 4.14.2 (Qt 4.8.6) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8 
                      Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 6075A5U v: ThinkCentre M57
                                 Mobo: LENOVO model: LENOVO
                                 Bios: LENOVO v: 2RKT64AUS date: 11/24/2011
                      CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E6550 (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
                                 flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9309 
                                 Clock Speeds: 1: 2000 MHz 2: 2000 MHz
                      Graphics:  Card: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
                                 bus-ID: 00:02.0
                                 Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
                                 Resolution: 1280x1024@75.02hz
                                 GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q35
                                 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
                      Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
                                 driver: b43-pci-bridge bus-ID: 11:0a.0
                                 IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:90:4b:bd:75:e4
                                 Card-2: Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection
                                 driver: e1000e v: 2.3.2-k port: 1820 bus-ID: 00:19.0
                                 IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:1e:37:3b:54:7e
                      Drives:    HDD Total Size: 330.0GB (2.2% used) ID-1: model: WDC_WD800JD
                                 ID-2: model: WDC_WD2500JD
                      Info:      Processes: 147 Uptime: 37 min Memory: 740.1/2994.1MB 
                                 Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2 
                                 Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.1.28
                      Last edited by SteveRiley; Jun 12, 2015, 02:11 PM. Reason: added [ CODE ] tags for readability

Comment

Attached Files
                        Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 16, 2015, 11:34 AM.
                        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
                          Here it is:
                          Code:
                          marco@Lenovo:~$ inxi -v3
                          System:    Host: Lenovo Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4) 
                                     Desktop: KDE 4.14.2 (Qt 4.8.6) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8 
                          Machine:   System: LENOVO product: 6075A5U v: ThinkCentre M57
                                     Mobo: LENOVO model: LENOVO
                                     Bios: LENOVO v: 2RKT64AUS date: 11/24/2011
                          CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E6550 (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
                                     flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9309 
                                     Clock Speeds: 1: 2000 MHz 2: 2000 MHz
                          Graphics:  Card: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
                                     bus-ID: 00:02.0
                                     Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
                                     Resolution: 1280x1024@75.02hz
                                     GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q35
                                     GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
                          Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
                                     driver: b43-pci-bridge bus-ID: 11:0a.0
                                     IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:90:4b:bd:75:e4
                                     Card-2: Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection
                                     driver: e1000e v: 2.3.2-k port: 1820 bus-ID: 00:19.0
                                     IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:1e:37:3b:54:7e
                          Drives:    HDD Total Size: 330.0GB (2.2% used) ID-1: model: WDC_WD800JD
                                     ID-2: model: WDC_WD2500JD
                          Info:      Processes: 147 Uptime: 37 min Memory: 740.1/2994.1MB 
                                     Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2 
                                     Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.1.28
                          OK thanks. It appears to be a totally supported hardware system, as far as Google can find for me. If it is certified for Ubuntu, which is Debian based, I can't imagine that there is a hardware issue running Debian Jessie.

So, your example problem mentioned Firefox. Have you seen problems with KDE packages? Have any of the crashes taken down the OS? Can you tell more about the issues that you have observed, how they were triggered, whether you are able to repeat them, etc.?

Comment

OK thanks. It appears to be a totally supported hardware system, as far as Google can find for me. If it is certified for Ubuntu, which is Debian based, I can't imagine that there is a hardware issue running Debian Jessie.

So, your example problem mentioned Firefox. Have you seen problems with KDE packages? Have any of the crashes taken down the OS? Can you tell more about the issues that you have observed, how they were triggered, whether you are able to repeat them, etc.?
                            Yes, I do not think the issues I experience are hardware related. I have both
                            ubuntu 14.04 and kubuntu 14.04 installed on different partitions on this desktop
                            with perfect performance without any issues at all.
                            The main issue I experience every now and then is that although the OS is
                            functional, for one or other reason, I lose the logout, restart, and shutdown
                            actions from the kde luncher "Leave" menu, i.e. these become non-responsive. The
                            iceweasel (Firefox) seems working OK now. Have not had any crashes since my last
                            post. As to how the issues are triggered, I have no clues at all, and do not
                            know at which point of work or time this happens. I cannot manually repeat
                            them. Though, I suspect they may occur after changes in configuration files as
                            a result of software installation or updates.
                            The thing is that after a reboot the issues still remain. The work around I
                            discovered is to start the system from grub menu by going to advanced action
                            for debian 8, and starting the original kernel (2nd one in list), which is
                            still the same version as first, or running the recovery system and from there
                            selecting the default system (Ctrl-D). Then the "Leave" items on the luncher
                            menu become functional and responsive again.
                            Sorry, for this to get long. I could not find a better way to describe the
                            problem.
                            Thanks!

Comment

In ~/.kde/share/config is a file named ksmserverrc. Google found some forum posts from late 2014 indicating that deletion and regeneration of this file solved the power buttons issue. Just for safety, I would advise copying the current file off to some other directory in your user's home folder, then delete the original, and either reboot or log out and then (as root) kill the X session from tty1 with

Code:
                              # systemctl stop lightdm
                              and then

Code:
                              # systemctl start lightdm && exit
                              and log back in and see whether it is fixed.

Comment

In ~/.kde/share/config is a file named ksmserverrc. Google found some forum posts from late 2014 indicating that deletion and regeneration of this file solved the power buttons issue. Just for safety, I would advise copying the current file off to some other directory in your user's home folder, then delete the original, and either reboot or log out and then (as root) kill the X session from tty1 with

Code:
                                # systemctl stop lightdm

and then

Code:
                                # systemctl start lightdm && exit
                                and log back in and see whether it is fixed.
                                Thanks!
                                Here is my situation right now.
                                Ever since the last occurrence of the issue, I have been starting up Debian Jessie from the grub menu by using the work around method I described in my last post. I did that today as well. In order to try your suggestion, I decided to restart the system thru normal grub menu in order at least not to lose the work around option, if things went awry. Lo and behold, the system menu became functional and all seemed to be OK. I checked the file ~/.kde/share/config/ksmserverrc, and noted that this file was last created today around the time I first started Jessie with work around option. So, the newly created ksmserverrc seems has solved the issue, I hope.
                                conclusion: I did not use your suggestion yet. But I took a note to use it next time if the issue occurs.
                                BTW, I also made a back-up of the newly created ksmserverrc file, for in case.
                                Thanks for your time and help so far. I will be in touch with this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X