This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    You can create a horizontal line in your post by typing [hr][/hr] on a line by itself. It will place a blank line below the horizontal line, but not above. For example, the following text:
    some stuff above
    [hr][/hr]
    some stuff below

produces:

some stuff above

some stuff below

Bonus points for the first person who figures out how I typed BB codes into a post without those codes getting parsed

some more strangeness ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I installed partitionmanager and kuser ,,,,,,,,,, but trying to start them from the menu as usual gets a pop up box asking for the ROOT password and will not except mine ,,,,,once entered a second box opens up and sugests the "wheel" group ,,,,,,,,,,,,using krunner (alt+F2) and kdesudo <program> gets the password dialog that will use my password to open either one .
    I think this is handled by PolicyKit. In Kubuntu, policykit-1, policykit-desktop-privileges, and polkit-kde-agent-1 are installed by default. Do these exist in Debian?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      You can create a horizontal line in your post by typing [hr][/hr] on a line by itself. It will place a blank line below the horizontal line, but not above. For example, the following text:
      some stuff above
      [hr][/hr]
      some stuff below

produces:

some stuff above

some stuff below

Bonus points for the first person who figures out how I typed BB codes into a post without those codes getting parsed

I think this is handled by PolicyKit. In Kubuntu, policykit-1, policykit-desktop-privileges, and polkit-kde-agent-1 are installed by default. Do these exist in Debian?
      you used [noparse] ,,,,,,,but I could see it in the quote ,,, so thats a cheat

as to policykit yes to "policykit-1" and no to the other 2 ,,,,, as far as an "apt search <program> goes ,,,,,

as for the password dialogs for root ,,,,I just added "kdesudo" to the command line in the menu for them and it's good.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

new screenshot ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

My only a non-significant issue in Jessie so far is that at any new start-up of my desktop, I must "modprobe b43" the driver for my boradcom wireless NIC in order to get connected. I have put "b43" in /etc/modules, which evidently seems not working.
          Anyone has any ideas how to get this resoved?
          Thanks!

Comment

...,if you read the page for setting the root password ....
            VINNY

What? Read directions? Who does that?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
              My only a non-significant issue in Jessie so far is that at any new start-up of my desktop, I must "modprobe b43" the driver for my boradcom wireless NIC in order to get connected. I have put "b43" in /etc/modules, which evidently seems not working.
              Anyone has any ideas how to get this resoved?
              Thanks!
              how did you install the driver ?

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

how did you install the driver ?

VINNY
                I have the driver in my saved files. After completion of installation, I copied the b43 folder which includes the drivers for various Brdcom NIC to /lib/firmware. This I usually do for any distro I test, since my nic is not usually detected during the installation. Usually, after coping b43 to /lib/firware, I modprobe it and bingo, the network card is picked up and then I enter the key for my Lan and it connects. I have done this for Kubuntu, Ubuntu and had never had any issues. Debian Jessie is the only one which requires modprobe at any start-up.
                BTW, b43 folder was built thru instructions for building the Linux driver for Broadcom NICs.

Comment

I would try doing an apt search for "b43"
                  Code:
                  vinny@debian:~$ apt search b43
                  Sorting... Done
                  Full Text Search... Done
                  b43-fwcutter/stable 1:019-2 amd64
                    utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware

firmware-b43-installer/stable 1:019-2 all
                    firmware installer for the b43 driver

firmware-b43legacy-installer/stable 1:019-2 all
                    firmware installer for the b43legacy driver
                  and install the appropriate packages after doing an "apt show <package> on each of them to see what you need

I had to install the "iwlwifi-firmware" and then " modprobe -r iwlwifi ; modprobe iwlwifi" to unlode the driver (that was not working cus the firmware was not installed yet) and then reload it thare by picking up the firmware ,,,,,,,for my wireless device.

VINNY
                  Last edited by vinnywright; Jun 08, 2015, 03:31 PM.
                  16GB RAM

Comment

I followed your instructions and installed the two appropriate packages. Before installing the packages, I removed my own b43 from /lib/firmware. After installaton of packages a new B43 folder was built and placed in /lib/firmware. Then I shut down the system and started up again. Unfortunately it again did not connect automatically, and network manager was not showing my router. I then modpeobe B43 and right away got connected. I tried shut-downs a few times, but every time after start-up, I had to modprobe B43 in order to have my wirles connected.
                    Thanks for your guidance!

Comment

I noticed B43 was black listed in /etc/broadcom-sta-dkms.conf. I cleaned up this
                      file by commenting out B43 nd a few other rquired broacom driver items. Powerd
                      off and back on again, this solved the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
                        I noticed B43 was black listed in /etc/broadcom-sta-dkms.conf. I cleaned up this
                        file by commenting out B43 nd a few other rquired broacom driver items. Powerd
                        off and back on again, this solved the issue.
                        thank you for coming back with the solution in case some one else with this prob comes across this thread .

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

I must say ,,,that after almost a week of using this Debian-KDE system I can find little difference between it and Kubuntu-14.04 (for me and my usage) after tweaking a few things as usual.
                          It dose use slightly less RAM over all ,,,,, Kubuntu will on average be using close to 2Gig's and Debian almost 1Gig ,,,,But with 16Gig available that is nominal .

web browsing (with a cold weasel ,,O iceweasel) seams a tad slower ,,,,as in page loading ,,,still getting around to looking into this one as it is not so slow to be bothersome to me , but slower none the less.

CPU usage seems to be a bit lighter as well over all ,,,like right now my conky load averages are 0.00 0.06 0.11 where doing the same web browsing in Kubuntu will be somthing like 0.45 ,,,,should actually do something the same in both systems for the same amount of time to check this proper I guess

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

OK so cold weasels dont do things to quick ,,,,,,,,Just installed google chrome and pages load like lightning

perhaps tweaking iceweasels settings would speed it up ?

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

OK so cold weasels dont do things to quick ,,,,,,,,Just installed google chrome and pages load like lightning

perhaps tweaking iceweasels settings would speed it up ?

VINNY
                              You do know that Iceweasel is Firefox that had been re-branded?

Comment

ice : weasel :: fire : fox

Comment

Working...
                                X