This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debian-8-jessie-KDE

OK so as promised in this thread ,,,, https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...important-news I installed it to /dev/sda6 (one of the old Kubuntu-15.04 partitions) ,,,,,,,,,,,, hears the story so far

Started with the Debian-8-jessie-KDE-Live cd/usb .iso ,,,,,,,,,DD'd it to a USB-3 stick ,,,,, first boot tryed the Graphical installer from the start screen , followed the prompts until the partitioning part and selected manual setup ,,chose the /dev/sda6 , use as / , format-ext4 , chose /dev/sda2 , use as swap , format as swap , continue ,,,,,, it freezes .

reboot ,,,go to live session try again ,,,,, same thing ,,,freezes at trying to format /dev/sda6 .

Quit the installer open a terminal and use mkfs.ext4 to format it ,,,,,,, once more to the installer ,,, and just point it to the partition , use as / no formating ,, still try to set /dev/sda2 as swap ,, but now this is making it freeze .

this time I leave swap out of it ,, get worning about no swap causing probs if I dont have enough RAM ,,,,,,,I have 16Gig of it so ,,,proceed ,,,,,,, it installs .

the installer will set a root acct. but will also set up sudo for the first user if you do not set a password for the root acct. ,,,,this is the way I did it .

I installed Grub to the partition /dev/sda6 as the booting as of now is controlled by the Ubuntu-14.04-LTS that was on the laptop/mobile desktop ,,,,, reboot to Ubuntu ,,,"sudo update-grub" ,,,reboot (I will add a chane load to Debian's Grub later) and we are in

Debian is pure GNU ,,,,,which means(by default) no non-free firmware = no wireless for my Intel Corporation Wireless 3160 ,,,,,the installer did tell me I needed iwlwifi-3160-9.ucode and offered to add it if I had it on a usb or floppy ,,,,,,so "kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list and add contrib non-free to the sources ,,,,,,,,

Code:
    # 

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8 _Jessie_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20150425-14:07]/ jessie main

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

# jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
    deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free
    so then sudo apt-get update && sudo apt install firmware-iwlwifi ,,,,, yes we have the new "apt" hear ,,,,, then "sudo /sbin/modprobe -r iwlwifi ; modprobe iwlwifi" and the wireless is up

next I want the Nvidia driver for my GPU a "GTX-860M 4Gib-RAM 1152-cuda cores" the nvidia-driver package @hear is 340.65 ,,,,,,,,
    Code:
    nvidia-driver/stable,now 340.65-2 amd64 [installed]
      NVIDIA metapackage
    Code:
    vinny@debian:~$ apt show nvidia-driver
    Package: nvidia-driver
    Source: nvidia-graphics-drivers
    Version: 340.65-2
    Installed-Size: 1,080 kB
    Maintainer: Debian NVIDIA Maintainers <pkg-nvidia-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
    Replaces: nvidia-glx (<< 319)
    Provides: nvidia-glx-any
    Depends: libgl1-nvidia-glx (= 340.65-2), libegl1-nvidia (= 340.65-2), nvidia-driver-bin (= 340.65-2), xserver-xorg-video-nvidia (= 340.65-2), nvidia-vdpau-driver (= 340.65-2), nvidia-alternative (= 340.65-2), nvidia-kernel-dkms (= 340.65-2) | nvidia-kernel-340.65, nvidia-support
    Pre-Depends: nvidia-installer-cleanup
    Recommends: nvidia-settings (>= 340), libgl1-nvidia-glx-i386, libgles1-nvidia (= 340.65-2), libgles2-nvidia (= 340.65-2)
    Suggests: nvidia-kernel-dkms (>= 340.65) | nvidia-kernel-source (>= 340.65)
    Breaks: nvidia-glx (<< 319)
    Homepage: http://www.nvidia.com
    Section: non-free/x11
    Priority: optional
    Download-Size: 419 kB
    APT-Manual-Installed: yes
    APT-Sources: http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie/non-free amd64 Packages
    Description: NVIDIA metapackage
     This metapackage depends on the NVIDIA binary driver and libraries
     that provide optimized hardware acceleration of
     OpenGL applications via a direct-rendering X Server.
     AGP, PCIe, SLI, TV-out and flat panel displays are also supported.
     Please see the nvidia-kernel-dkms or
     nvidia-kernel-source packages
     for building the kernel module required by this package.
     This will provide nvidia-kernel-340.65.
     This version only supports GeForce 8xxx and higher of the Geforce GPUs
     plus corresponding Quadros and nforce.  Look at the legacy packages
     for older cards.
     See /usr/share/doc/nvidia-driver/README.txt.gz
     for a complete list of supported GPUs and PCI IDs.
    so I install it and the recommends/suggests ,,,,,, as the configuring was taking place I got a screen telling me the kernel and X would not detect it ,,,,,,,, I did not beleve it ,,,,rebooted ,,,,,,to a TTY ,,,,"startx",,,X sead no screens found ,, ok it was not lying
    reboot to Kubuntu-14.04 and use a root dolphin (kdesudo dolphin) to add a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf that contaned just
    Code:
     Section "Device"
            Identifier "My GPU"
            Driver "nvidia"
    EndSection
    reboot and we are good

so hear we are ,,,,,,,,
    Code:
    vinny@debian:~$ uname -a
    Linux debian 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt9-3~deb8u1 (2015-04-24) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    KDE-4.14.2
    defaults
    packagemanager-apper
    web browser-iceweasel-Konqueror
    media players-VLC-Dragon-juk
    office-libreoffice

no GUI partition manager by default ,,,strange,,,, partitionmanager (the KDE one) is avalabel for DL but not installed by default...... and of course Gparted

default install was around 4Gig

if any one has any questions I will answer in time ,,,,,,, but so far it looks and acts well

O and @verndog ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Code:
    vinny@debian:~$ apt search zsync
    Sorting... Done
    Full Text Search... Done
    zsync/stable 0.6.2-1 amd64
      client-side implementation of the rsync algorithm

vinny@debian:~$ apt show zsync
    Package: zsync
    Version: 0.6.2-1
    Installed-Size: 250 kB
    Maintainer: Robert Lemmen <robertle@semistable.com>
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7)
    Homepage: http://zsync.moria.org.uk/
    Tag: admin::backup, implemented-in::c, interface::commandline,
     network::client, protocol::ip, role::program, use::downloading,
     use::synchronizing
    Section: net
    Priority: optional
    Download-Size: 115 kB
    APT-Sources: http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
    Description: client-side implementation of the rsync algorithm
     zsync is a file transfer program to download files from
     remote web servers. If a previous version of a file is available
     locally, zsync will only download changed parts and hereby
     minimise the download volume. The algorithm is the same as used
     by rsync(1), but zsync does not require any server software
     (apart from a web server), nor does it need shell access.
     Instead, it uses a control file (.zsync file) that describes the
     file to be downloaded, which it uses to determine the blocks to
     fetch. This file is created once on the server (and not for each
     request) and sits next to actual file to download

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 14"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

screenshot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

seams as even though the installer did not want to use or mess with the swap partition ,,,,,,it's UUID got changed ,,,,,,strange?

VINNY
    16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      so I install it and the recommends/suggests ,,,,,, as the configuring was taking place I got a screen telling me the kernel and X would not detect it ,,,,,,,, I did not beleve it ,,,,rebooted ,,,,,,to a TTY ,,,,"startx",,,X sead no screens found ,, ok it was not lying
      reboot to Kubuntu-14.04 and use a root dolphin (kdesudo dolphin) to add a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf that contaned just
      Code:
       Section "Device"
              Identifier "My GPU"
              Driver "nvidia"
      EndSection
      reboot and we are good
      That's kinda mystifying. I wonder why this is required in Debian?

Comment

After I downloaded and verified the 1.3Gb deb file I burned it to a DVD with verify. Using the graphical installer I installed it as a guest OS under VirtualBox. The install proceeded without problems. As a guest OS it is remarkably fast on my box. I installed the Qt SDK and it runs very well. My screens look like Vinny's, obviously. Haven't customized it yet.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          That's kinda mystifying. I wonder why this is required in Debian?
          Stab in the dark: Nouveau took over? Checking the Xorg.0.log would show what happened. Possibly blacklisting the nouveau driver would fix it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you Vinny!
            Your installation story above looks like a very good stepwise instructions. I am going to try this latter on a test partition on my desktop. I think with future Kubuntu in limbo, one has to start to prepare.

Comment

Don't count Kubuntu out! What Shakespeare wrote is still applicable: A Rose by any other name is still a Rose.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Don't count Kubuntu out! What Shakespeare wrote is still applicable: A Rose by any other name is still a Rose.

Yep!

Comment

I wish for this to be true! I love Kubuntu and use it as my main OS (14.04 LTS).
                  Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    Stab in the dark: Nouveau took over? Checking the Xorg.0.log would show what happened. Possibly blacklisting the nouveau driver would fix it.
                    possibly ,,,,, but the nvidia-kernel-dkms and/or nvidia-kernel-source package is supposed to do the blacklisting .

but if we look @hear https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers which links to @hear https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#configure we see we need the simple xorg.conf

their is a "nvidia-xconfig" package that will if ran with sudo after installation do this for you ,,,,,,,,, but I did not find/read those pages untill after the fact .

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

some more strangeness ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I installed partitionmanager and kuser ,,,,,,,,,, but trying to start them from the menu as usual gets a pop up box asking for the ROOT password and will not except mine ,,,,,once entered a second box opens up and sugests the "wheel" group ,,,,,,,,,,,,using krunner (alt+F2) and kdesudo <program> gets the password dialog that will use my password to open either one .

yes I could probably edit the menu and fix this ,,,, but I am going though this as a total newby mite to see what happens .

@GG I would suggest that perhaps you used the "guided use entire disk" installation method and had no problems,,,,,,where trying to use "manual" and an existing partition led to my experience ,,,,,,and perhaps I did not chose all the exactly correct options IDK ,,,, that part of the installer is not so striate ford in it's operation .

that sead the system is quite snapy and seems to be running well ,,,,,,,,,,,so far ,,, I have not done vary much in it .

@marco07 you are welcome ,,,,it was fun

I to LOVE ,,,my Kubuntu,,,,,,, and 14.04 is my main system as well ,,,,,,,,,,,but as of now I have Ubuntu-14.04 , Kubuntu-14.04 , Kubuntu-15.04 , Debian-8-KDE and Netrunner-15 on this box

LOL playing linux is MY favorite game ,,,,,,,,,,,,, can you make it to login

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Unlike Ubuntu, I was surprised to see that a ROOT password was a required entry during installation. That means, of course, that using Suso will fail because your user name isn't added automatically to the sudo users file. So, until you add yourself you'll have to the root password and su. I've been using Linux 17 years and Kubuntu for the past six. So I've used su twice as long as sudo. For me it's a toss-up. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Comment

Unlike Ubuntu, I was surprised to see that a ROOT password was a required entry during installation. That means, of course, that using Suso will fail because your user name isn't added automatically to the sudo users file. So, until you add yourself you'll have to the root password and su. I've been using Linux 17 years and Kubuntu for the past six. So I've used su twice as long as sudo. For me it's a toss-up. Each has advantages and disadvantages.
                        the root acct. is NOT required but IS available ,,,,,,if you read the page for setting the root password it sead ,,,,,if you do not enter a password for the root acct. then it sets up the first user as administrator with sudo access ,,,,,,, kdesudo works as well .

as to the prob with partitionmanager(the KDE one) and kuser I edited the menu to use the comand "kdesudo <program>" and that works as expected now .

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Vinny, thanks for the info on debian kde install. I wasn't thinking when mentioned about 'zsync'. I actually used it with kubuntu as the base and it had 2% usable data. I totally forgot I used it until I looked at debian's iso images.
                          Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
                            vinny, thanks for the info on debian kde install. I wasn't thinking when mentioned about 'zsync'. I actually used it with kubuntu as the base and it had 2% usable data. I totally forgot i used it until i looked at debian's iso images.

vinny
                            16GB RAM

Comment

Here is a list of what I did:
                              - Downloaded Debian 8 Jessie 32-bit
                              - Tranfered ISO to USB stick using Unetbootin Package
                              - Prepared a 25 gig logical partition (sdb9)
                              - Got into live USB menu
                              - Default install did not work
                              - Rebooted and got into menu again, this time ran the save mode install
                              - Got into live Deb 8, played a little. Then started intalltion
                              - All went fine, it picked up Swap partition (sdb1) automatically
                              - installed grub on sdb9
                              - rebooted after instllation was complete
                              - Got into kubuntu 14.04 and did a grub update
                              - rebooted and got into system w/o any problem
                              - there was a bunch og updates available. Did update
                              - did some configuration and package installation
                              all is working fine so far. I am posting this from Jessie. Will be testing more
                              when I get time.

@ GG, yes, I initially tried sudo in konsol to run some commands during
                              configuration to no avail. Then I remmebered from years past, that I must use
                              su only in konsol to switch to a root terminal, then issue command. This worked
                              perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X