X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon [as] tech support

It's not always the driver or the OS

I recently bought a mini-pci wifi card for my trust Dell D830 laptop, an Intel 7260 dual band ac with built-in bluetooth. Mind you, I only have single band N but that one day may change. I also was tired of the disconnects from the Intel 4965 card it used to have. Bluetooth was not really a concern, as I already have that.

Swapping it out was of course a breeze, with a minor problem of the antenna cables being almost too short, as the older card was a full size mini-pci, and the new one is a half-height one with an adapter. No biggie there as there is just enough slack once I massaged the wiring a little. However, I could not get it to recognize the bluetooth at all. I spent a few hours going over bug reports, forum posts and the like going back many years (which is the norm in searching Linuxy things) but no solution.

Sigh.

I thought perhaps I had been duped by an Amazon retailer and received the incorrect card, as there are a number of variants. But no, it is correct. Oh, well. I am happy with the speedier wifi, which is the main reason I got the thing. I reinstalled the separate OEM wifi chip and went on my way. Perhaps this old lappy simply can't use Bt other than the OEM internal dongle.

Well, tonight, as I was cleaning my place and/or
    working hard at job #2
    severely goofing off and sucking on a popsicle
    I decided to give the bluetooth another look-see. Again, all I came up with were old reports about trying different firmwares, a few config options, and a general complete lack of success, I gave the actual card another once-over. Yes, it was still truly a dual-band ac with bt, but I spied this little gem:

Installed two of these on two different Dell D830 laptops. The tricks (D830 specific) are:
    1. Make sure the WAN/cellular port is enabled under Wireless in BIOS
    2. Install card in the WAN slot not the one the old WiFi card used and use WAN/Cell antenna leads (short WiFi ones won't reach)
    And
    Minor downside on D830 is that new card does not properly control WiFi and Bluetooth LEDs on laptop but otherwise a great upgrade.
    Bingo! Bluetooth is on! Minus the blinky wifi and bt LEDs!!

Now I just need to find an a/c wifi spot and figure out if that works/can be enabled (iwconfig only shows abgn), or a dual band router to check that feature out.
    Last edited by claydoh; Jun 03, 2015, 11:04 PM.

Nice detective work! I'd offer to let you use my wifi connection but I don't think it will reach 350+ miles!

Please Read Me

Comment

LOL!
      I glanced at the prices on routers, and ....... no.
      Well, mostly no. Most of these are far too expensive for me, and some that are cheap enough to catch my eye do not look very good. Although a refurb Linksys might be interesting to play with.

Comment

Impressive. I'm actually somewhat surprised you were able to get the wi-fi to work at all. A lot of laptops have wi-fi "whitelists" that permit only a handful of cards to work. The claim, supposedly, is that FCC regulations have something to do with this.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Impressive. I'm actually somewhat surprised you were able to get the wi-fi to work at all. A lot of laptops have wi-fi "whitelists" that permit only a handful of cards to work. The claim, supposedly, is that FCC regulations have something to do with this.
          Dell seems pretty good about not whitelisting, at least for the D630/D830.

Comment

That cheap Chinese router looks cool. If it works as advertised it's worth the $40 bucks. I have the Asus RT-AC66U which is awesome so far and you can get it for $150. It has a ton of additional features which I use and I can easily install custom firmware. I'm using Merlin's Asuswrt right now and love it.

Please Read Me

Comment

The refurbished linksys I was looking at was about 40 bucks, also, and iirc supports open firmware, too.

Comment

Working...
              X