This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
    I've tasted "frothy, sublime nectar of the gods" as you call it (American beer) and it's crap. Weak as water!
    It isn't just Budwiserstupider that comes in kegs, you know.

You mean something like this?
    Into a measuring cup? Weak sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      No of course. Just leaves more for the rest of us...
      Cheers!
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
        If I say I HATE beer...will I get booted out of my own thread?!
        No, you've just supported Nick's post; quite a reasonable POV for Americans.

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Question for SteveRiley:Have you tried "The Botanist"? An Islay distillery with a reputation for over-the-top peated scotch decided to make an over-the-top herby gin. To my palate, a gin to savour every drop.

Regards, John Little
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            Into a measuring cup? Weak sauce.
            Not the cup, the tap on the bar. The thing that the liquid is coming out of.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              No, you've just supported Nick's post; quite a reasonable POV for Americans.
              I TRIED to like beer--back when I was a teenager and it was uber cool to drink--but I just didn't. In fact, I never acquired a taste for any alcohol, other than the [very rare] Kahlua & [cream, coffee, dessert, whatever]. So I don't drink at all. My one and only hangover at ~16, after a night of drinking vodka, convinced me that alcohol wasn't for me!
              Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

My one and only hangover at ~16, after a night of drinking vodka, convinced me that alcohol wasn't for me!
                I'm not surprised you've been put off alcohol for life if you spent the whole night drinking vodka at 16. I'm not even sure if the Russians bing drink on vodka all night.

Comment

DYK:
                  I TRIED to like beer--back when I was a teenager and it was uber cool to drink--but I just didn't. In fact, I never acquired a taste for any alcohol,
                  Well, you know the conversation between two barflies, it goes something like this:

Not feeling well lately, the first barfly saying, "Gee, maybe I'm drinking too much."

And the pal, trying to be helpful, responds, "Maybe you're not drinking enough."
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'm not surprised you've been put off alcohol for life if you spent the whole night drinking vodka at 16. I'm not even sure if the Russians bing drink on vodka all night.
                    My experience is - at east some of them - indeed do drink all night. Went to a friends grandmothers one year remembrance party. Every seat had a liter of vodka. Yes that's one liter PER PERSON! OMG, I puked soooooo much that night! Of course, they're not binge drinking - they do that sort of thing all the time, LOL...

Please Read Me

Comment

NickStone
                      I'm not even sure if the Russians bing drink on vodka all night.
                      Yep, a good friend of mine did some business with some Russians, they became friends, and during their visits together, they did some real serious Vodka work, bottles of it, continuously, all night and day. Says the Russian Vodka tasted smoother, went down easier, and was easier to hold for longer than other cheap variants. There ya go, a story to tell, a single instance [of something].
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

As I recall, it was sipping vodka throughout the night. I honestly have no idea now how much I actually consumed. What I do recall was that I felt NOTHING. There was NOTHING pleasurable at all happening as a result of drinking. Now, keep in mind that at that time I was very familiar with...um...recreational drugs...so I knew what getting high felt like--and nothing even remotely similar was happening with the alcohol. So I went to bed thinking, damn!, what a waste of time. Woke up the next morning feeling like my head was being crushed in a million pound vice...I don't even know how to express in words how bad I felt. And all I could think was, "so nothing PLEASURABLE happened after [apparently] getting drunk, yet I now have this MONSTROUS headache. Hmmmm...perhaps alcohol isn't my thing." Indeed!

Comment

DYK
                          Woke up the next morning feeling like my head was being crushed in a million pound vice...I don't even know how to express in words how bad I felt.
                          Now, DYK, you're not listening. You stopped too soon. Keep drinking like that for a month or so, and you'll get over it, not have to deal with hangovers, wake up, hit a coffee pot and Village Inn, and go on with your day. So I hear.

Comment

Not the cup, the tap on the bar. The thing that the liquid is coming out of.
                            I know what the tap is. I was poking fun at the bartender for using a measuring cup. The best bartenders only free pour. Or free pull, as the case may be

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                              Question for SteveRiley:Have you tried "The Botanist"? An Islay distillery with a reputation for over-the-top peated scotch decided to make an over-the-top herby gin. To my palate, a gin to savour every drop.
                              No, I haven't heard of this. After a little research, I'm sold! Their web site lists a few places nearby where I can obtain a bottle. I'll definitely get some -- sounds sublime!

Comment

And all I could think was, "so nothing PLEASURABLE happened after [apparently] getting drunk, yet I now have this MONSTROUS headache. Hmmmm...perhaps alcohol isn't my thing." Indeed!
                                Moderation, young padawan.

I've just started reading Intoxication by Ronald Siegel. Very interesting! Apparently humans aren't the only species who likes to get high or smashed.

Comment

Working...
                                X