X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    you are welcome , and glad my ramblings were of some help to someone

but do you have the ark compress and extract options in the rite click menu ,,,,,,I do not ,,,,nor dose @claydoh , I think.

this is strange ,,,,,,,,my KsysGuard has all 3 working as expected ,,,,,,,install was the standard (advertized on the Kubuntu site) beta1 .iso

VINNY
    I do have a ZIP Device . . option only which is probably not what we want. This is shown below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolphin_Option.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	643019

Unfortunately I am currently away from my system that has Wily on it, so I grabbed the image quickly before I left. Regarding KsysGuard. I will have to try the approach of deleting .cache and if that doesn't work I will have to search for its settings file.

I decided to replace Wily with Vivid on my Laptop as I need to do video editing over the next period and want to show the MS person who is normally does it but is away overseas, that Kubuntu can do as good a job as his $1000 Sony Video editing package.

Comment

Well I installed 15.04 on my Laptop(haswell processor and graphics) with back-ports no problem, but when I tried to do the same on my desktop (Haswell with AMD 7790), the desktop didn't work right. No expand, reduce or close buttons on the apps and they didn't show up in the task bar. Not sure if was the back-ports that broke it or if was broken from installation. Anyway I installed 15.10 beta on my desktop today and its most working from initial impressions. I'm getting no icons though when I launch dolphin and kate with kdesudo.

Is there any disadvantage to running a beta when the proper image is released? Is it better to reinstall the final when it comes out?

I'm surprised there is no 15.10 forum. Is there not normally a section for the upcoming release by this stage? Arch definitely got the jump on Plasma 5.4 this time round. I've been using it on my laptop for a while and it seems pretty stable. From initial impression its definitely functioning better than 5.3. 5.4's still not appeared on Tumbleweed or in Kubuntu 15.04 back-ports. Is 15.10 still on plasma 5.3?
      Last edited by Rich Oliver; Sep 04, 2015, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
        Arch definitely got the jump on Plasma 5.4 this time round. I've been using it on my laptop for a while and it seems pretty stable. From initial impression its definitely functioning better than 5.3. 5.4's still not appeared on Tumbleweed or in Kubuntu 15.04 back-ports. Is 15.10 still on plasma 5.3?
        I don't know if all the 5.4 bits are in 15.10, but at least some came in a day or two ago.

Comment

I just checked KInfocentre and it shows 5.4.0. Planet KDE has also announced that its in.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
            Well I installed 15.04 on my Laptop(haswell processor and graphics) with back-ports no problem, but when I tried to do the same on my desktop (Haswell with AMD 7790), the desktop didn't work right. No expand, reduce or close buttons on the apps and they didn't show up in the task bar. Not sure if was the back-ports that broke it or if was broken from installation. Anyway I installed 15.10 beta on my desktop today and its most working from initial impressions. I'm getting no icons though when I launch dolphin and kate with kdesudo.
            If I am doing an installation on another computer, I make a new installation USB because during the installation process I have noticed that there are downloads proceeding and I assume that these are being loaded onto the USB. I have had a report of 0B in the /home directory and for this reason I have now changed to using a 32GB. So if you want to install Vivid, I would be inclined to make a new installation USB and have another go. Best of Luck

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
              ... I have noticed that there are downloads proceeding and I assume that these are being loaded onto the USB...
              For a normal Ubuntu iso, nothing is or can be stored on the USB stick; fake filesystems are built in RAM using squashfs.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                For a normal Ubuntu iso, nothing is or can be stored on the USB stick; fake filesystems are built in RAM using squashfs.
                I have 16GB of RAM on my system and I find that if I try repeating the install, many of my original settings are there when I proceed. For example, user name and processor name are presented. So I thought that this information was stored on the USB. I also got messages of /home having 0B, so if it is putting it in RAM, why does increasing the USB size remove the message?

I also had a failed install and so I repeated the process of making and installation disk and it then worked. I would be interested to know if there is some other explanation of what I have experienced

Comment

Decided to overwrite my spare install of Vivid on a USB3 HDD with Wily Beta 1. Formatted and replaced /, kept the existing /home.

Installer ultimately worked. It took several minutes to load the Disk Setup step. I thought I was going to hit the timezone error Vinny and claydoh mentioned earlier in this thread, or some other error. I was (uncharacteristically) patient and waited, and it finally loaded and worked. Yay Kubuntu.

Two 'oh nice' moments:

The "apt" command now has tab completion.

Virtualbox from the Oracle repo wouldn't install because the installed version of some required package was too new. Looking for a workaround, the Google told me that the Ubuntu repo, which used to lag way way behind, has the current 5.0.2. Of course now I have to endure the pain of updating the Win7 vm that hasn't been touched in a few months.

Comment

I just upgraded to 15.10 today. So far things are stable. The only issue thus far is a problem with drop-down menus in KCharSelect. BTW, 5.4 is in Wily.

Also, is there no longer a kscreensaver package?
                    Last edited by bsniadajewski; Sep 05, 2015, 09:10 PM.
                    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

installing
                      Code:
                              [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]sudo apt install libappindicator1 libappindicator3-1[/COLOR]

[/FONT]
                      pulls in a few more ,,,,,,,,and dropbox icon shows in system tray once again .

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I had some video editing to do using Kdenlive and I had installed Vivid on my Laptop. I found that because I had to have a separate sound file and mute the sound form the camera, the image and the sound got progressively out of sync. I spent some time trying to resolve this but was unsuccessful. I then decided to install Wily on my Laptop and this allowed me to finish the job successfully and post the result on Youtube.

I then decided to install the Nvidia drivers. I started with nvidia-352 and that did not work on dual screens but did work on a single screen. I then purged nvidia* and used autoremove to get rid of all no longer needed packages such as dkms. I then tried installing nvidia-346 and that gave the same results. So I followed the same purge procedure.

After doing all of this, I am now using my Intel video card. Now I find that my system will only boot using my Laptop screen. If I plug-in my auxiliary monitor, the login screen appears, but when I enter my password it is rejected and returns to the login prompt. This does not happen when I only use my Laptop screen. I have stopping and starting kwallet and that has not changed the action. I can't help but suspect that this problem is related to kwallet.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem at a time when we are in the middle of upgrading to KDE Plasma 5.4.1?

Comment

strange how 2 people can have such vastly different experiences .

I can plug in an external monitor (HP Flat screen 1920x1080 HDMI) boot up ,,,,login no prob

Nvidia driver ver. 352.30

however after 119 updates today ,,,,,,,,,,,,my wireless refuses to connect

nice that I have a hardwire laying right hear

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes, it is certainly strange how systems vary. Today I decided to plug-in a lower resolution external monitor and that worked perfectly. I even installed the nvidia-352-updates and that also worked on the lower resolution screen. I went back to my other monitor and that behaved as before, ie blank screen.

I then unplugged the external monitor and my system booted up successfully. I then reverted to the Intel Video card and I also found that by renaming the file ~/.local/share/kscreen to ~/.local/share/kscreen_bk and then rebooting, I was able to get my system working. Even reverting back to the Nvidia card failed with the external monitor. To get my system back I have to delete the latest kscreen file and boot using the Intel card. The kscreen file that works with the Intel card contains the following:
                            Code:
                            [
                                {
                                    "enabled": true,
                                    "id": "8ca0ed60ab92e4049ff8a297db2db19d",
                                    "metadata": {
                                        "fullname": "xrandr-unknown",
                                        "name": "LVDS1"
                                    },
                                    "mode": {
                                        "refresh": 60.031196594238281,
                                        "size": {
                                            "height": 768,
                                            "width": 1366
                                        }
                                    },
                                    "pos": {
                                        "x": 0,
                                        "y": 0
                                    },
                                    "primary": true,
                                    "rotation": 1
                                },
                                {
                                    "enabled": true,
                                    "id": "6a16726c694a9bef07cf48129699012f",
                                    "metadata": {
                                        "fullname": "xrandr-CMC 19\" AD-0",
                                        "name": "VGA1"
                                    },
                                    "mode": {
                                        "refresh": 60.019741058349609,
                                        "size": {
                                            "height": 1024,
                                            "width": 1280
                                        }
                                    },
                                    "pos": {
                                        "x": 1366,
                                        "y": 0
                                    },
                                    "primary": false,
                                    "rotation": 1
                                }
                            ]
                            My impression is that there is a bug in the code that defines the screen settings for the Nvidia driver. When the system fails using the Nvidia driver there is no additional kscreen file formed.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                              however after 119 updates today ,,,,,,,,,,,,my wireless refuses to connect

nice that I have a hardwire laying right hear

VINNY
                              I am assuming that when you click on the connect button it does nothing. I remember having to do wireless connections recently and I fell foul of kwallet which kept getting in the way. I have used the menu option KwalletManager to close it. Since we are exchanging our desktop graphics, my Networks are shown below

Name:	Network_Connections.jpg
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	643022

I should probably explain my naming convention. The Wireless Network name is "Fawlty Towers" and my Laptop is basil and my wife's laptop is sybil and my sacrificial PC is manuel.

Because I am connected to our NBN and I have an optical fibre outlet on the wall within 40cm of me, I tend to use a cable connection which is much faster than wireless, particularly for transferring data between computers.

Comment

Looks like I am experiencing one step forward and two steps back.

Today there were updates to Libreoffice 5.1 and further updates to Network manager and Plasma 5.4.1. There were many other updates, BUT on reboot these updates ground one of my Wily systems to an almost halt after logging. The other, ie my Laptop, is totally useless. The desktop is there and the temperature is about 60C, and this indicates that something is using CPU cycles big-time. Also, the clock is not advancing.

I hope VINNY is now able to get his wireless connection working. As no two systems are the same, I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem with either slow response or totally sluggish and useless? On the system that is slow, the htop showed this:

Name:	System1.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	643025
                                Last edited by NoWorries; Sep 11, 2015, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X