• Show
Clear All

more coolness ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You certainly have a very impressive system set-up VINNY. I feel that I may be in the dark-ages by comparison. I am still struggling with some very basic problems. Since the release of the final beta. I am still getting the console unexpectedly closing, eg

Click image for larger version

Name:	konsole_close.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	643050

As well as that, I still cannot add a folder in dolphin. I still have to use F10 to do that!

Finally, I cannot use dual screen with the Nvidia driver, so I am using my Intel card and patiently waiting for more updates in that regard.

Otherwise, my system is working very well and I have enjoyed the progress being made.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
        You certainly have a very impressive system set-up VINNY. I feel that I may be in the dark-ages by comparison. I am still struggling with some very basic problems. Since the release of the final beta. I am still getting the console unexpectedly closing, eg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6321[/ATTACH]

As well as that, I still cannot add a folder in dolphin. I still have to use F10 to do that!

Finally, I cannot use dual screen with the Nvidia driver, so I am using my Intel card and patiently waiting for more updates in that regard.

Otherwise, my system is working very well and I have enjoyed the progress being made.
        sorry for your problems .............. I do get errors like that (the konsole one) ,,,but only sometimes and only after I have closed it myself.

I have no problem making a folder in dolphin .

and no problem with 2 monitors (what exactly dose "dual screen" mean to you?

@hear it is a
        Code:
        01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104M [GeForce GTX 860M] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
                Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer Device 0376
                Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 33
                Memory at eb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
                Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
                Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
                I/O ports at e000 [size=128]
                [virtual] Expansion ROM at ec000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
                Capabilities: <access denied>
                Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        using the 352 driver

Code:
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ inxi -G
        Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 860M]
                   Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
                   GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 860M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 352.30
        my install was with the standard 15.10-beta1 and continuously updated with
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        VINNY
        Last edited by vinnywright; Sep 25, 2015, 08:28 PM.
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          sorry for your problems .............. I do get errors like that (the konsole one) ,,,but only sometimes and only after I have closed it myself.
          When I have finished using the konsole which is after doing a update/dist-upgrade, I close it off and that normally generates the error message.

I have no problem making a folder in dolphin .

and no problem with 2 monitors (what exactly dose "dual screen" mean to you?
          Sorry, I should have said dual monitors. When I use the Nvidia driver, which is the Nvidia-352-updates, with a single monitor it works fine. However, when I connect a second monitor, it stalls prior to loading the desktop. To fix this, I go to ~/.local/share/kscreen/ and delete all the files in that directory. When I boot with 2 screens and the kscreen directory empty, it comes up OK. If I then close down and reboot, it hangs again. I always have to make sure the kscreen directory is empty for it to work. This is what I get when I use a single screen:
          Code:
          ~:~$ inxi -G
          Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
                     Card-2: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 630M]
                     Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 drivers: nvidia,intel Resolution: 1366x768@60.03hz
                     GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 630M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 352.41
          Within the last 24 hours I got an update to the Nvidia driver, hence the version is 352.41. That is why I decided to have another go!

Code:
          vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ inxi -G
          Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 860M]
                     Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
                     GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 860M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 352.30
          my install was with the standard 15.10-beta1 and continuously updated with
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          VINNY
          I probably do the sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade a couple of times a day to make sure that it is up-to-date. When I have the Intel card being used, the inxi command gives:
          Code:
          ~:~$ inxi -G
          Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
                     Card-2: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 630M]
                     Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
                     Resolution: 1366x768@60.03hz, 1680x1050@59.95hz
                     GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.0.0

Comment

I am beginning to think that the source of my problems is with the kscreen package. There have been bugs reported here on kscreen. I have yet to file a bug report on the issues I have experienced. I am getting the impression that this new package is going through similar growth pains that experience with pulseaudio when it was introduced.

I have tried both disabling kscreen in System Settings and removing kscreen to no avail. So it it necessary to keep this package installed and wait for updates to come.

Comment

I don't remember when the problems started, but I uninstalled kscreen weeks ago, and use xrandr to control my displays.

Comment

Are you using dual monitors as my problems are all related to this? I did try using ARandR and created a shell script. That fixed up one of the screens but my auxiliary monitor was black and I could not configure it.
                Last edited by NoWorries; Sep 27, 2015, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Are you using dual monitors as my problems are all related to this?
                  Dual monitors in the sense of my laptop screen and an external monitor.

These are the two scripts I use, on the rare occasion I need them:

Code:
                  ronw@gazp6:~/.screenlayout $ cat bothscreens.sh 
                  #!/bin/sh
                  xrandr --output LVDS-1 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output HDMI-1 --off --output eDP-1 --off

ronw@gazp6:~/.screenlayout $ cat externalonly.sh 
                  #!/bin/sh
                  xrandr --output LVDS-1 --off --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output HDMI-1 --off --output eDP-1 --off

Comment

The xrandr file that I created with ARandR is
                    Code:
                    xrandr --output VIRTUAL1 --off --output LVDS1 --primary --mode 1366x768 --pos 1680x282 --rotate normal --output VGA1 --mode 1680x1050 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal
                    If I remove kscreen and execute this file the system fails to correct itself. It almost seems that, for my system, kscreen is an essential package to have installed.

I am wondering if you execute your xrandr file on startup. If so, I would be interested to know how you do that. I will be away for a couple of days and so I won't have a second monitor until I return to test any ideas.

By comparison the Kscreen file contains this:
                    Code:
                    [
                        {
                            "enabled": true,
                            "id": "8ca0ed60ab92e4049ff8a297db2db19d",
                            "metadata": {
                                "fullname": "xrandr-AU Optronics",
                                "name": "LVDS1"
                            },
                            "mode": {
                                "refresh": 60.031196594238281,
                                "size": {
                                    "height": 768,
                                    "width": 1366
                                }
                            },
                            "pos": {
                                "x": 1680,
                                "y": 282
                            },
                            "primary": true,
                            "rotation": 1
                        },
                        {
                            "enabled": true,
                            "id": "882b0879f782aaf8a63066151ccfe134",
                            "metadata": {
                                "fullname": "xrandr-Goldstar Company Ltd-W2252-167417",
                                "name": "VGA1"
                            },
                            "mode": {
                                "refresh": 59.954250335693359,
                                "size": {
                                    "height": 1050,
                                    "width": 1680
                                }
                            },
                            "pos": {
                                "x": 0,
                                "y": 0
                            },
                            "primary": false,
                            "rotation": 1
                        }
                    ]
                    I find it interesting that when I remove all Kscreen files and boot with the Nvidia driver it creates this file. When I shut down, it fails to start the desktop and I am presented with a black screen.

On a positive note, the latest updates have now fixed Dolphin so that I can now create a folder with the right mouse click!

Another application fixed with the latest updates is Muon Package Manager. I can now configure software sources from the menu!

Some time ago, ie for a couple of weeks now, the HPLIP Status Service now resides happily in the System Tray without generating a failure message.

So steady progress is being made and I hope that Kscreen soon gets fixed.

Comment

I am wondering if you execute your xrandr file on startup. If so, I would be interested to know how you do that. I will be away for a couple of days and so I won't have a second monitor until I return to test any ideas.
                      No, I don't execute either script on startup. My usual routine, when I need to reboot, is open the laptop lid, reboot. Both screens come up. Then I close the laptop lid. This is where kscreen would get weird, and at best, stall everything for about 30 seconds, and on rare occasions freeze the desktop requiring a cold reboot. Without kscreen, no problem. I tried playing with the lid closing settings in Display and Monitor with no luck.

Re-opening the laptop lid with kscreen installed caused similar issues. Without it, I just run the bothscreens.sh script and the laptop screen comes on.

I've been using projectors for the last 3 days. It will be nice if kscreen gets back the ability to show you the nice prompt about detecting a new display and letting you easily configure it (as in KDE4 days). For now, I plugged in the projector, logged out and back in, and the projector was automagically detected.

Comment

Working...
                      X