This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows is to go rolling after Windows 10

Microsoft has confirmed that they will not be developing any more versions after Windows 10. They will instead adopt the rolling release model and update packages as and when they get developed. No more waiting for years before a new version is released.

Full story here

Does it sound like Microsoft are copying the Arch way?

I bet Windows users in the future won't be installing Windows the Arch way. They wouldn't have a clue anyway.

I dont know why they didnt do this years ago. Having every element of an OS depend on every other element of the OS is horrendous design.

Comment

I am surprised they have managed to keep reverse compatibility and at the same time got rid of all the old legacy stuff that would now or in the future be in the way of future development.

But then, maybe they are no longer offering this compatibility or it is moved to a separate shim.

Pretty sure this needs to become a subscription model.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
        Pretty sure this needs to become a subscription model.
        The thing is, "most people" already pay the Windows tax every time they buy new hardware, which from my experience is usually when they get some kind of malware and their machine slows to a crawl. I don't think there's much need for a subscription model for home users, since Microsoft will get another payment every few years when these people buy new hardware to fix a software problem (I don't know any "normal" users who have reinstalled Windows to deal with malware). A subscription model for home users would just draw peoples' attention to the fact that they do actually pay for Windows, which could be a bad move.

A subscription model is probably the way to go for business customers though.
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

As usual, Feathers has cut through all of the "GARBAAAAAGGGGEEE".....lol

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
          The thing is, "most people" already pay the Windows tax every time they buy new hardware, which from my experience is usually when they get some kind of malware and their machine slows to a crawl. I don't think there's much need for a subscription model for home users, since Microsoft will get another payment every few years when these people buy new hardware to fix a software problem (I don't know any "normal" users who have reinstalled Windows to deal with malware). A subscription model for home users would just draw peoples' attention to the fact that they do actually pay for Windows, which could be a bad move.

A subscription model is probably the way to go for business customers though.

Comment

Working...
          X