This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    Yeah Clay - perfect use case for btrfs. Get a 64 GB thumb drive for backups and build that pool!

Uhhh... not the summer time swimming thing - the data-in-a-pile thing...
    Oh, I need a pool. It has been steamy and hot down here in Savannah since, what, March? Been swimming in sweat the past few weeks in particular, and I had to actually put on long pants for court , first time since last winter (2014's, that is) that my calves have not seen the sun.

Comment

I'm trying to convince my wife to give up her Nexus 4 so I can put Sailfish on it...
      Sell ya mine...not using it now that I got a Galaxy Note 4.

Comment

OK, Now I'm ticked. I can't get a Jolla phone ... I have a Jolla Tablet on order
        I've had my Jolla for 3 days now, it's just what I wanted. When I'm using my Nexus 7, I sometimes find myself trying to swipe it to close/minimise apps. Annoying to have to move your hand to the bottom edge to go back, too. The UI of Sailfish is really nicely thought out, although it seemed a little strange at first. I'd be interested to see how you get on with it on a N4.

I think you'll really like the tablet. Lots of cool software already, the selection on the Jolla store doesn't do it justice - a lot of the best stuff is actually at https://openrepos.net/ because of Jolla's packaging requirements (no daemons, no extra libs installed outside of the app directory etc.).

I was pleasantly surprised to find an excellent open source pebble daemon (link) on there. It has a nice GUI for configuration, can load and unload apps from the pebble, forward all notifications, even lets you control music apps that support the MPRIS DBus interface (like Sirensong) from the watch. Basically, it does everything the official Pebble app for Android does, and it's open source to boot. Clever devs!

I expected to need the Android support, but I haven't installed it yet. So far, there has been a high quality native app for everything I need. The one thing I think I might install it for is a banking app, but that's it.

They've done a really good job so far, I hope they can keep it up.

BTW, on the first day I had a hiccup when updating Sailfish to a newer version. Device booted but no UI. To get to recovery, you just hold volume down during boot and plug it in to a computer with a USB cable. It appears as an ethernet device, network manager auto-connects... telnet to it to get a simple menu, 30 seconds later I've reset it and no more problems. That was a BTRFS snapshot - you win! Lol.
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I installed openSuSE from some magazine last month and my root partition was BTRFS. The home partition was XFS for some reason though. And of course EFI boot had to be FAT. That's too many partition types for me.

Comment

I can't get a Jolla phone because...ANYWAY - I have a Jolla Tablet on order (Indegogo early contributor ) so at least I have that.
            I know this was a long time ago, but I was thinking about this again earlier. I'm guessing you haven't received your tablet yet, but did you ever try putting Sailfish on another device? Asking because the N5 port is discussed quite a lot on TMO, and I was wondering if anyone outside that particular echo chamber had actually tried it?
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X