This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just installed Kub 14.10 on a 'institution pc'

As well as some of you might know... I spend some time around psychiatric institution facilities now and then.

It is actually illegal for me to be making changes to computers like that, but I just installed Kubuntu 14.10 on a computer in this room. Practically no one noticed. They do not know enough of computers to see what I am doing :P.

Just for our progenity:

• I used the default install mode that just installed it next to windows by auto-shrinking a windows partition.
    • I used kde-config-grub2 to adjust the boot menu a little (windows is the default again, recovery options and memtests are hidden)
    • I used "public fox" addon for Firefox to turn Firefox into a Kiosk mode where settings are protected by password and its setting of History->"Clear history when firefox closes" would prevent session data from remaining. "Keep (cookies) until I close Firefox" also clears cookies after session close.
    • I really wanted to install 15.04 just for kicks, but the CD (DVD) would not load past the bootlogo screen. I didn't try much and the install / loading of the DVD fails/failed a lot. Eventually I got a 14.10 live session/DVD session running and immediately installed from that. It is possible to do a release-upgrade but I'm a bit ..reluctant seeing as that 14.10 is quite stable and 15.04 might not be so.

- I changed the default language after the fact but it only applies to the current user thus far (I just have a "guest" user that is a real user, and I want it to forgo sudo rights and then have an "Administrator" account that does the sudo.) It was a bit troublesome changing the default user's name, or changing a user account name in general, there were some hardcoded links in the .kde configuration, I believe. I just wiped the .kde and I symlinked the old name (it was previously something other than "guest") to the new name. I turned off "guest" login in the LightDM configuration and it does an auto-login of the new "guest" user. Meaning, sessions are retained, and it has an easy password, and without sudo rights It can't do Much Harm.

I think kde-config-grub2 should be a default install. It is really quite functional.

The only thing the system does not do is... quit the previous session when you restart the computer. At least in terms of Firefox. It still wants to open unclosed tabs. I think I got it to close old tabs now and keep them closed.
    Last edited by xennex81; Apr 30, 2015, 08:28 AM.
Working...
X