This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinning platters and other first world problems

Updating an install on an external HDD, I realized I have at least the following first world problems:

1. Updating initramfs takes like, for-ev-er, because I'm used to SSDs.

2. I only have two USB3 ports - only two! And what are these non-blue ports for?

3. This 500GB HDD (that is about 1/4 the thickness of, and same dimensions as, a deck of cards) seems clunky. And it is vibrating? Oh yeah, actual mechanical moving parts in there.

4. Downloads and such seem slow because I had a 300/50 connection but can only get 150/20 in my new location.

5. My single 24" external monitor seems so lame. All the cool kids have dual 24's.
    Last edited by ronw; Apr 22, 2015, 02:52 PM.

Hey, you forgot to mention the smallness of the 15.6" HD screen because you're used to your double 24" monitor set up...

Please Read Me

Comment

Fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post

4. Downloads and such seem slow because I had a 300/50 connection but can only get 150/20 in my new location.
        try axel ..................it will make lots of connections to a download to speed things up some .

use like
        Code:
        axel -n 10 -a http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/vivid-desktop-amd64.iso
        the -n 10 is the number of connections you wish ,,,the -a an alternate progress output.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes life's a bitch having to survive with that list.

So you have a USB3 mouse?

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
            So you have a USB3 mouse?
            No, but now I want one. I know it wouldn't make any difference, but if I'm going to whine about 'problems', I might as well go all the way.

Comment

I love that Vinny appears to have missed the joke and offered actual help. North Carolina folk are so friendly and helpful!

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm trying to figure out how I can justify a new LG 34" 21x9 curved display with the wife. I do have a work bonus coming - that's all mine, right?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  I do have a work bonus coming - that's all mine, right?
                  Heh heh, yeah, let us know how that plan works out.

Comment

I love that Vinny appears to have missed the joke and offered actual help. North Carolina folk are so friendly and helpful!
                    what ,,,,,joke,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,these look like real problems to me ,,,,,,,,24" monitor ,,,,,how do you see that ,,,,I need at least the 42" flat screen TV to see all this tiny #32 font.

VINNY

yes I was trying to be helpful ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, dam all that niceness stuck in me
                    16GB RAM

Comment

No - not "dam the niceness:... That's one of the best things about living here!

Please Read Me

Comment

No - not "dam the niceness:... That's one of the best things about living here!
                        ,,,,,,,,,yes ,,,it is .

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                        X