This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential security tool

I'd like to see this as a browser option.

http://phys.org/news/2015-04-instant...y-website.html

Unfortunately, it looks like it will be a commercial product first.
    And there is always the matter of trust: who watches the watchers...
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

I would really like to read her research, because I have some questions about this aspect:

In her PhD research Costante looked at the entire cycle of online data traffic to find solutions to weaknesses for each point in the cycle. She found for example that the databases in which providers store personal data are not secure. They may have access control (who is allowed to access them and what are they allowed to see), but they don't monitor what users do once they have been admitted. To do this, Costante developed a tool that creates profiles of users' regular behavior. It then monitors everything they do, to allow timely detection of deviations.

Data theft such as at Sony, in which data from 77 million PlayStation users was stolen a few years ago, can be stopped more quickly with her tool, the TU/e researcher explains. That can save companies costly losses and reputation damage.
    Building baselines of normal usage, profiling application and user behavior, and detecting anomalies isn't exactly new. In fact, my employer offers a number of such products. The challenge, we've found, is convincing organizations to use these tools.

Comment

I'll add this option, for Firefox only. Time will tell if this can address the problem, but I approve of the direction this is leading.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...ction-feature/

I'm NOT inviting a flame war on this... Do what you want with your own system.
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
      X