X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boredom and win-10-teck-preview ;]

So I was a bit bored today and in need of some geeking

I installed the windows-10-teck-preview in a QEMU KVM with virtual machine manager ,,,,,,gave it 4GB-RAM 2-CPU's and 10GB-HD

the install all but filled up the 10GB-HD ,,,,,,,,,,wow

the install would NOT complete without having a Microsoft account so I had to create one as part of the install
    but it comes with a onedrive cloud service that you can tell win-10 to use for storage of Music,video,ect,ect

It's running well and the host system (kubuntu-14.04) doesn't seem to notice it's running..........well it shouldn't with the specks on this box LOL

now what to do with it !

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

You got a jump on this! My wife has 8.1 on her Asus laptop, we'll take the free upgrade to 10 when it hits this year (4th quarter maybe), and then I'll have to learn enough of it to help her and to maintain her system. Yeah, that MS account ties you into everywhere! She logs in with one account and automatically has access to all sorts of stuff, like Skype.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
      Yeah, that MS account ties you into everywhere! She logs in with one account and automatically has access to all sorts of stuff, like Skype.
      yeah,,,,,not sure how I feel about that the login for the MS account IS your login for the system,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just dont know about that,,,,,,,seems like good opportunity for tracking your activity.

VINNY
      16GB RAM

Comment

Oh, I completely agree! I didn't like it at all, but it was my wife's deal, and it keeps things easy for her (email, Skype, photos, etc., no big deal). She unlocks her laptop with her MS sign in! But ... after you get your system set up (your OS, your laptop, whatever), you CAN then go back in to MS and change everything you did, you can disengage that MS account, etc. Of course, you gotta figure out where to do all that, but I'm told it is easy.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          Oh, I completely agree! I didn't like it at all, but it was my wife's deal, and it keeps things easy for her (email, Skype, photos, etc., no big deal). She unlocks her laptop with her MS sign in! But ... after you get your system set up (your OS, your laptop, whatever), you CAN then go back in to MS and change everything you did, you can disengage that MS account, etc. Of course, you gotta figure out where to do all that, but I'm told it is easy.
          well that is good to know ,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Hopefully the "Professional" version adheres to the Network log-in paradigm. If they expect corporations to allow other than that! I certainly will not.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
              Hopefully the "Professional" version adheres to the Network log-in paradigm. If they expect corporations to allow other than that! I certainly will not.
              It does.

Also -- to avoid automatically signing into an account when Windows boots:
              • Click Create a new account underneath "Don't have an account?" on the "Sign in to your Microosft account" screen.
              • Click Sign in without a Microsoft account on the "Create a Microsoft account" screen.
              • Enter a local user name and password on the "Your account" screen.

(Copied from my dual-boot post; I think it's the same for Windows 10.)

Comment

Good. that is how 8.1 works so I'm OK. I still don't like the "Home" screen or whatever that call it but I've work arounds for that. I won't rant my true feelings as I know there is nothing that can be done other than work arounds.

Comment

Working...
                X