This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
    So, what's do I type from the command line to send the polar air back to the pole?
    At least it "warmed up" here in Indianapolis to 17.
    Hello neighbor! Here in Dayton, OH we have a sunny 5 degrees F. No heater, but a flannel Ohio State University blanket over the shoulders as an extra layer.

Comment

brrrr

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      I have a wood stove in the central hallway ,,,,,,wood is my only source of heat @hear
      if I get it really cooking (and yes I have cooked on it during a power outage) you half to open windows to cool things back down some even in the single digits

VINNY
      The disadvantage of a pellet stove is that you need electricity to operate it. If the power goes out the stove goes out. A wood stove is more practical in areas where there is extreme weather and frequent power outages.
      sigpic

Comment

7C is a lot warmer than 17F

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
          Hello neighbor! Here in Dayton, OH we have a sunny 5 degrees F. No heater, but a flannel Ohio State University blanket over the shoulders as an extra layer.
          Furnace going in tomorrow. Then we can stop using all these space heaters. Warm in living room and bedrooms, cold in the rest of the house. Latest electric bill - $634. Thankful for budget billing, but still running $333 with that. Like april to nov in Indianapolis. Liked oct-may when I lived in Mesa, AZ. Couldn't find enough work to support us there. Plus, we bought a house here (lots cheaper). Especially with no mortgage

Comment

The obvious solution to the problem is to use the pipe command.
            cp 100 Quad BTU LA | Indianapolis

During the 1974 Arab oil embargo I switched from Propane to an Ashly Warm Morning wood burning stove, with a chain saw and mall as accessories. Used it for the next six years. Wonderful heat.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              (By way of reminding some that KFN, the internet and the world exists outside of the US.)
              Well as everyone knows Brits love long discussions about the weather, so I'm not complaining... except about the weather, that is. It's raining, obviously!

Attached Files
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
                Latest electric bill - $634. Thankful for budget billing, but still running $333 with that.
                Holey S4!T ,,,,,,,,,that is exactly why I got the wood stove .

originally their was a kerosene heater where the wood stove is ,, it had an electric blower on it and was fed from a 200-300 (cant remember exactly but it's still out back and the line still runs under the house )gallon drum/tank .
                when kerosene got up to $300.00 for almost a months worth of heat + the extra electric for the blower , I had it,,,,,,,came across a deal on the wood stove/heater $70.00 I got it

that is right after installing it (me and the boy) and the heat shielding on the walls ,,,, I have sense re-stove blacked it.

after chain sawing and wedge and mauling for the past 3-4 years I now have a hydraulic wood splitter

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  ... with a chain saw and mall as accessories...

Originally posted by VINNY
                  ..after chain sawing and wedge and mauling...
                  Ah, a Splitting maul. I just call mine a log splitter, though wikipedia says that's the hydraulic variety. Fancy Vinny showing the correct spelling...
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Pellets are cheap also. I have a ton delivered twice a year for $260. Our gas bill rarely goes above $70, and that is when it gets below 25 degrees F.
                    sigpic

Comment

Fancy Vinny showing the correct spelling...
                      ya I know rite ............every other thing I type gets underlined in red ,,,,,,,then most the time it's so bad spell check couldn't figure out what I was trying to type,,,,,,then it's HONEY ,,,,,,,,how do you spell <something> ................

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Have to be careful with spell check on the iPhone. If I don't proof read I could end up sending something totally off.
                        sigpic

Comment

Ah, a Splitting maul. I just call mine a log splitter, though wikipedia says that's the hydraulic variety. Fancy Vinny showing the correct spelling...
                          And the old prof using phonetics because he could remember how "maul" was spelled ... Wait! ... It was my stylus's fault!
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
                            Have to be careful with spell check on the iPhone. If I don't proof read I could end up sending something totally off.
                            So I'm learning. I've had this iPhone 6+ since Dec 28th and now the only thing I don't do on it is play Minecraft with my grandsons.

Comment

I used an Ashly warm morning wood burning stove. Built in fan with thermostatically controlled air intake. Four logs could hold 70F for six hours in January.

http://www.amazon.com/Ashley-Wood-Bu...N%3DB005KXR3IO

Of course, when I bought this stove in 1974 it cost only $350, IIRC.

Apparently the ERA forced the manufactures to put air holes in the wood door and ash door to "minimize air pollution" from "smoldering fires", which demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge of how wood burning stoves like the Ashley work. The wood doesn't "smolder". In the initial burn the volitiles are released, creating smoke, most of which is burnt in the Ashley. A valve in the pipe stack prevents back-puffing and down draft problems. After an hour or so the volatiles are burned and what is left is a charcoal log which glows red and burns at the rate allowed by the butter fly valve that controls the inlet air supply. The charcoal log(s) burn for an additional 5 to 10 hours, depending on how cold it is outside and what temperature you set the air inlet control at. I went to bed just after putting in four logs (6" dia by 18" long) and setting the Temp to 70, usually around 11 or 12 PM. I typically got up around 6AM. I remember one day in particular, Jan 20, 1976, when the temp dropped to 20 below zero. The upstairs bedrooms were 70F and downstairs, in the living room, the T was 65F. There was a nice layer of pure white ash with a few red coals laying on top. I'd shake the ash shaker, which dropped the ashes into the ash tray and left the coals laying on top of the grate. I'd put in four logs and close the down on the fire box. I'd open the door on the ash box. The flood of fresh air would literally flash the red hot coals, which ignited the logs very quickly. I'd remove the ash tray and dump the ash into a metal bucket and replace the tray and close the door. During cold weather the process was repeated every six hours, or so. In milder temperatures only once every 12 hours. In the early spring or fall about once a day. Also, I'd burn very hard woods like Locust or Mesquite in the coldest periods and Ash or Chinese Elm in the milder days. Never waste your time trying to burn cotton wood or ceder logs.
                              Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 18, 2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I am really loving this June-in-February thing up here in Seattle! Although that big orange ball in the sky is unfamiliar and mildly frightening.

Comment

Working...
                                X