This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My latest attempts as a computer cat lady -- Hackintosh

Actually, I'm a man, but "cat man" doesn't have the same feel as "cat lady." I own more computers than I need. I have an Acer netbook that I wasn't really using. I had put Linux Mint/KDE on it just to check it out. Now I've been making attempts to install Mac OS X Snow Leopard on it. So far I haven't had any luck. The install program runs, and there's a customize section, where I've basically made educated guesses as to what I should put in. At the end of an apparently successful install, it reboots, but then the operating system fails to successfully load. I'll keep trying though. Fortunately, it's not a computer that I need to rely on. It's just a geeky thing for fun. If I can get it to run, there are a few practical things for it I could do.
    1. If I get back into programming, I could use that to text Mac versions that I make.
    2. I could run Dramatica on it. Dramatica is a rare case of the Mac version is better than the Windows one. (There's no Linux version, the bastards.)

Real Macs are absurdly expensive. One thought I had was to develop some freeware and compile both Linux and Windows versions and then put up a notice to the effect of if Mac users want Mac version, they can donate toward my being able to buy a Mac, or just donate a Mac to me outright. "You want a Mac version? Give me a Mac." Sounds fair.

Other computer cat lady stuff I might want to do at some point:
    1. Get myself a Kaypro II with 64 kilobytes of memory, two 200K floppy drives, and WordStar. This was the first kind of computer I ever owned. I used it from 1984 until the beginning of 1988 when it was totally obsolete. I would have kept using it even longer, but it konked out.
    2. Get myself an Apple IIe with a CP/M card. This was nearly my first computer. Before getting the Kaypro, I regularly used an Apple IIe that my college dorm had. The only thing I ever used on it was the word processor, Apple Writer. I had planned to buy this computer with the CP/M card so that I could use WordStar, which was the best available word processor at the time. However, my father convinced me that the Kaypro was a better buy, reasoninig that if I could run CP/M software, there was no need to run any Apple software. It would still be cool to own this now-obsolete setup and gather up a bunch of obsolete Apple and CP/M software just to screw around with it.
    3. Set up three desktop computers hooked up to the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse -- a Linux system (probably Kubuntu), a Mac OS X one, and a Windows 7 one (NOT Windows 8.x GARBAGE). My thought would be to KVM between the three so that no VirtualBox is needed, each computer is completely independent and hence gets no performance hits because of another operating system running. There's some other way to do it besides KVM; I forget. Refresh my memory?
    4. Get a laptop from about 1998 or 1999 and install Windows 2000 on it. I actually have a practical reason for this. I wrote a bunch of software in Visual BASIC 6, which I would like to rewrite in C++. This setup would be good for accessing and running my source code since that's the setup I originally wrote the software in. I have set up Win 2K to run under VirtualBox in Kubuntu, but the results have been disappointing. I can't seem to get full screen to save my life.
    5. Get a 90s era PC and install Red Hat Linux on it -- or maybe dual boot it with the above system. I just wonder what I missed out on by no going Linux in the 90s and instead suffering through the whole atrocious Windows 9x/ME era.
    6. Turn on a Windows 95 PC, aim an AK-47 with a bump stock at it, and empty a 30-round magazine into it. This is actually legal to do in the United States if you're on private property and no one gets hurt. You don't know how many times in the 90s I wanted to do this.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

#4 - Apparently Visual BASIC 6 runs in Wine pretty well.
    http://crackedtownship.blogspot.jp/2...on-ubuntu.html

Comment

There is something to be said about using an OS that is so old it no longer appeals to virus writers.
      My abacus hasn't had an infestation in years.
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
        ... I've been making attempts to install Mac OS X... If I can get it to run, there are a few practical things for it I could do...
        You could develop for IOS. Is it still necessary to use a Mac for that, I wonder?
        Real Macs are absurdly expensive.
        Some models of Mac book have been value for money, through their durability, I've been told.
        ... so that I could use WordStar...
        30 years on, and we still reminisce about it. I moved on to vi not long after, which was even better for my coding purposes, but what WS gave you on limited hardware was genius.
        6. Turn on a Windows 95 PC, aim an AK-47 with a bump stock at it, and empty a 30-round magazine into it. This is actually legal to do in the United States
        There were places that offered that as a commercial service. I'd add just about any 286 PC, and the Apple 2. I think I'd do my ears a favour and use another weapon, though; a pump action shot gun would prolong the satisfaction I think.

Regards, John Little
        Last edited by jlittle; Feb 02, 2015, 03:44 PM.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
          My abacus hasn't had an infestation in years.
          How old? If it's not a modern, 64-bead processor, then you are likely correct.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
            I'd add just about any 286 PC, and the Apple 2. I think I'd do my ears a favour and use another weapon, though; a pump action shot gun would prolong the satisfaction I think.

Regards, John Little
            I'm in ........... lets go hunting old computers .................................................I got the shotgun

Mosburg Mod-500E 12 gauge pump 20" barrel ,,,, 7 in the tube 1 in the pipe (00-buck,slug,00-buck,slug,ect,ect)

those waskaly old wabbits don't stand a chance ........

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

When I worked in London I did a lot of walking to train stations so had to get steel plates on my shoes. One made a very satisfying dent in a 19" cabinet...

Regards, John Little
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
              X