• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing a "new" desktop environment

Introducing a "new" desktop environment. TDE

Ubuntu Trinity Repository Installation Instructions

Interesting... I am torn now.
    I am liking things in plasma 4 and seems like with p5 it may be awhile before I want to mess with it.
    So now I have the choice of going back to a functional 3.5 fork...
    Choices choices.
    Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

That's the trouble with GNU (open source) OS we have too many choices to make what with choosing what DE to have or file system or web browser or even distribution. Sometimes choices are not good, we can be overwhelmed by it.

Comment

I will always choose to have "too many choices" than to have "no choices at all".
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Nick.

Thanks for the linky! Down memory lane.

There was a distro, can't remember which, that offered Trinity as an option a coupla years ago, and I installed it, it worked well.

woodsmoke

Comment

While I agree with both Nick and Paul, I find it immensely interesting how human nature fights change. It seems every project that moves forward results in a splinter group that just does not want to accept trying something different.

KDE 3.5 was great, but 4 is amazing and 5 looks like it's going to be wonderful. It's not like you can't configure KDE to look different (as in having a theme that mimics the old look), but the added functionality, not to mention increased performance, is what I'm after. Frankly - and just IMO - if all the effort spent on holding onto the past was turned toward help the future, I bet KDE 5 would be a better product.

I configured KDE 3.5 to look like XP for a friend once. It was a fun project. But I can't imagine going back to 3.5 now - yuk. Might as well go and buy a flip phone and a dot matrix printer too...

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluvr, this is what I am constantly wondering/thinking about too. Of course this behavior can be seen everywhere so maybe it is hardwired in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                Hi Nick.

Thanks for the linky! Down memory lane.

There was a distro, can't remember which, that offered Trinity as an option a coupla years ago, and I installed it, it worked well.

woodsmoke
                It is called Exe GNU/Linux

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  While I agree with both Nick and Paul, I find it immensely interesting how human nature fights change. It seems every project that moves forward results in a splinter group that just does not want to accept trying something different.

KDE 3.5 was great, but 4 is amazing and 5 looks like it's going to be wonderful. It's not like you can't configure KDE to look different (as in having a theme that mimics the old look), but the added functionality, not to mention increased performance, is what I'm after. Frankly - and just IMO - if all the effort spent on holding onto the past was turned toward help the future, I bet KDE 5 would be a better product.

I configured KDE 3.5 to look like XP for a friend once. It was a fun project. But I can't imagine going back to 3.5 now - yuk. Might as well go and buy a flip phone and a dot matrix printer too...
                  I actually agree that Plasma desktop (KDE4) is great but for me there#s something about using an older system that has been proven to be stable and uses less resources to be great also. I have TDE running on an old Dell desktop PC which I use only for watching videos / DVD's. I don't use TDE for everyday computing, I use more modern / updated desktops for that.

Back in 2010 when I got myself a cheap PC having been without one for a number of years, I installed Ubuntu 9.10 with Gnome 2 then upgraded to 10.04 which I kept for approx 2 years. Now that Gnome 2 has been forked and called Mate, I now feel that if I was to use Mate today that I would some how be going back in time. To me, Mate does not feel like a modern desktop environment any more.

The purpose of my using TDE on the older PC is simply because I wanted something "different" to play with. In fact I think I'm starting to get old because I'm now constantly thinking back to earlier days and thinking how life appeared to be a lot more fun and carefree than today. Gawd I'm only 46!

Comment

Working...
                  X