X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uptime

Code:
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ w
     19:52:24 [COLOR=#ff0000]up 26 days, 33 min, [/COLOR] 4 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.19, 0.21
    USER     TTY      FROM             LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
    vinny    :0       :0               19Dec14 ?xdm?  14:38m 15.91s init --user
    vinny    pts/8    :0               19Dec14  3days  0.04s  0.04s /bin/bash
    vinny    pts/10   :0               19Dec14 26days  0.00s  2:46  kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]                      
    vinny    pts/11   :0               02Jan15  8.00s  0.17s  0.16s /bin/bash
    Code:
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ free -h --si
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           16G       7.2G       9.2G        61M       284M       4.7G
    -/+ buffers/cache:       2.2G        14G
    Swap:         4.2G         0B       4.2G
    I do close the lid and let it sleep at night ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Code:
    ~$ w
     18:41:46 up 33 days,  5:17,  4 users,  load average: 0.39, 0.29, 0.27
    But, a re-boot kills this 33 days, right? A re-boot starts again from zero. Mine is always on, but I had to reinstall after a bum update awhile back, thus the shorter 33 days reported, if I read this right.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Code:
      ~$ w
       18:47:10 up 33 days,  5:22,  4 users,  load average: 0.25, 0.27, 0.26
      USER     TTY      FROM             LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
      mike     :0       :0               22Dec14 ?xdm?  22:17m  1.49s init --user
      mike     pts/6    :0               22Dec14 23days  0.00s 23.72s kdeinit4: kded4
      mike     pts/2    :0               18:47    3.00s  0.03s  0.00s w
      Hmm, I reinstalled on 12-12-14. So that's 33 days.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        But, a re-boot kills this 33 days, right?
        yup ,,,that is time from last boot.

Code:
        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ uptime -s
        2014-12-19 19:18:43
        date and time of last boot........

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Every time the updates include a new kernel (and perhaps more often), I get an indicator saying I should re-boot. Do you uptime heroes not accept the updates, not re-boot, or something else?

Comment

Unless you are running a server, what reason do you have in running a pc for days/months without shutting down?

I have three pc's (2 desktops and 1 laptop) and they all get shut down when I'm not using them. I like to save electricity. I feel it is a waste of resources to keep an electrical appliance (not just pc's) powered up if not in use. But then you people probably have loads of money to spend and don't care about the excess resources your using just in order to say "my pc is so stable that it can run without to be re-boot for months/years).

By the way, didn't Billy Joel sing a song about uptime (uptime girl)?

Comment

@mparillo, Yep, I do take my updates and have to re-boot. In fact, my last upgrade and re-boot didn't work and that's why I reinstalled (after investigating my options to fix it). That was 33 days ago. I do now have a new kernel package waiting to be installed, and so I will soon be re-booting.

@NickStone, :-) What can I say? I also try to save every KW of electricity I can. I had two PCs here, I would shut one down and keep this one running--admittedly a wasteful habit but very convenient, and one of the few "excessive" things I do with resources. Definitely don't have loads of money to spend! I use a dryer for doing laundry, but in the summer I hang clothes on the line outdoors; in winter, I run the dryer minimally and hang clothes inside on a rack in the kitchen (takes a few hours to dry things that way when it's cold, some things take all day). And many other defensive examples I could give you. But, maybe I will re-think my choice to run this PC all night; maybe just keep it running during the day--that's what I used to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                I use a dryer for doing laundry,
                When I read this, I had an image in my mind of you drying your clothes with a hair dryer for some reason. You standing in front of your damp clothes waving a hair dryer over them to dry your clothes. I don't know why I had this image.

Comment

My 12.04 server gets rebooted more than once every 33 days just due to updates. I think I went 26 days once, but I was out of town for much of that time.

I would think the most cost-saving way would be to update everyday (less updates at one time) at the end of the day and then shutdown immediately after.

Please Read Me

Comment

NickStone
                    When I read this, I had an image in my mind of you drying your clothes with a hair dryer for some reason. You standing in front of your damp clothes waving a hair dryer over them to dry your clothes. I don't know why I had this image.
                    Nope! Not that, not for me. Besides, a hair dryer would be 1500 Watts and would take a very long time to dry blue jeans and heavy sweaters!

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                      What a gem! haha
                      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

This must be a European thing ... I don't get it!

Comment

Ah ... the good ole' energy saving days when clothes were dried on a clothesline by the Sun. After soaking and drying in the Sun, with its UV cleaning action, clothes really smelled fresh, and whipped by the wind eliminated the need for a softener. Even in the winter, below freezing, clotheslines worked. The clothes froze and then the Sun sublimed the ice off of them. You knew when they were dry because they were limp and moved with the wind, instead of being stiff.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Unless you are running a server, what reason do you have in running a pc for days/months without shutting down?
                            so when I open the lid it is instantly on

I have three pc's (2 desktops and 1 laptop) and they all get shut down when I'm not using them. I like to save electricity.
                            so you unplug them from the wall as well ? if not you are still using some power.

with the lid closed and the box sleeping it is as good(about) as turning it off.

I feel it is a waste of resources to keep an electrical appliance (not just pc's) powered up if not in use.
                            fridge,water heater,electric clock, heck even your TV if not unplugged is still using SOME electricity .

But then you people probably have loads of money to spend and don't care about the excess resources your using just in order to say "my pc is so stable that it can run without to be re-boot for months/years).
                            got up on the wrong side of the bead this morning did we ,,,,,,,,,,LOL loads of money ,,,,,,,LOL not hear , I make $10.00 an hour , am the only income in this house and have a disabeld wife that can rarely leave the house.
                            the computers TV and nook are her only entertainment and distraction from her ailments and boredom from being house ridden .

By the way, didn't Billy Joel sing a song about uptime (uptime girl)?
                            I think that's uptown girl

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

GreyGeek, yep, the clothes line in action. I grew up with them in the Midwest (50's), first thing I built upon moving to the USA desert West (metal poles in concrete etc.). Hanging and removing the clothes does take time, but it is also part of one's exercise for the day, bending, stretching, lifting. Clothes dryers: what, 4000-6000 Watts? Major electrical bill at the end of the month. And a clothes line does also work in the fall and winter, as you pointed out.

Comment

Working...
                              X