This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HEY YOU!! consider teaching one class at a community college

A) YOU may have zero pople skills...........consider it a way to develop some people skills.........and...........let those empty vessels be exposed to "real stuff".......whatever your "stuff" is...........

B) YOU actually have people skills...................

Please believe me............for a student to be sitting in a class that has an instructor that has ANY CLUE about "people skills".......AND.........valid knowledge.............

Well........ that is almost UNHEARD of...........(sorry for ending a sentence with a preposition lol )

But..............again...............ONE CLASS............you will make a significant amount of money and...........

Since ObamaCare redefined what is "full time"........ALL COMMUNITY COLLEGES, COLLEGES, UNIVERSITIES.....no matter what they may say...............have LOST instructors.........

So............give it a try........spend the money..............meeting me at a wonderful dive place............you and your better half........ get some drinkys, maybe swim or snorkel with me........ a great dinner.......

LOTS OF FUN!!!

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jan 14, 2015, 09:02 PM.

Been there, done that. Never again.
    Find someone who WANTS to learn.
    Teach them what you know,
    But stay away from the public educational system.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Please don't shout, especially in thread titles.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
        Been there, done that. Never again.
        Find someone who WANTS to learn.
        Teach them what you know,
        But stay away from the public educational system.
        This just makes me sad on so many levels.
        I think what you are describing is an apprenticeship, which could/should be a very rewarding teaching/learning model. It would be nice if there was an easy way to hook up with a teacher/apprenticeship, that would be cool.

@oldwoodsmokerteacherdude Calm down ..............
        Last edited by anika200; Jan 14, 2015, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anika200 View Post
          This just makes me sad on so many levels.
          I think what you are describing is an apprenticeship, which could/should be a very rewarding teaching/learning model. It would be nice if there was an easy way to hook up with a teacher/apprenticeship, that would be cool.
          Don't be sad, be proactive and look for what you want.

There are other choices in education, some of which have been corrupted just as the "public" system has been and for the same reasons. I cannot recommend any education system, public or private, which needs a bureaucracy to manage. That includes apprenticeship programs which are operated as a business.

Therefore, one-on-one education is by far the more desirable. You may need to try multiple times until you find the one that works with you. Remember the old saying: "One size does not fit all".

I cannot tell from your context whether you are a student or want to transfer your knowledge to another. Either way, it is up to you to search for and find the other half of the learning process.
          Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

The education system needs teachers that are inspired and love teaching. There are plenty of them out there, but the system as it is doesn't always reward them for doing a good job.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
              The education system needs teachers that are inspired and love teaching. There are plenty of them out there, but the system as it is doesn't always reward them for doing a good job.
              My fellow...........your words are pregnant with meaning...

Even the TED conferences have to "toe the line" with that of which Eisenhower spoke.........an educationist, defense, industrial ...complex.....

My BEST laboratory assistant.......

SHe WAS GORGEOUS,....( I emphasize it because in the HYPER POLITICALLY CORRECT SOCIETY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.........

A SMART WOMAN......is a GEEK........look at Big Bang Theory.............

THIS WOMAN........... physically, was attired in the most up to date ensemble........think the woman of your dreams........or......women.....transfer......guy of your dreams...

.was home schooled..........

ANATHEMA OF THE LEFTIST LIBERAL ELITE...............

In the SIXTIES......"home schooled" was MUCH TO BE DESIRED........

Nowadays........."home schooled" is associated with........EVIL CHURCHY GO TO HELL people..........

Look up...........

http://www.amazon.com/Around-World-S.../dp/0543824527

and also:

sloop spray at internet archive

just sayin.....

TWO YEARS AGO............a girl.........attempting an "around the world cruise"

OH MY GAAAAWWWDDDD............the elite leftist liberal wannabe grey not APPLE STATIST.......people....WENT FU#$%^& BERSERK

that........a woman.......

COULD MAKE A DECISION ON HER OWN............

without consulting multinefarious women and men that were WAAAY SMARTER THAN HER.........

notice........that all those people.,,,,

are smarter......

than

YOU

or me........

but the import is;...........

smarter than.........YOU

woodsmoke
              Last edited by woodsmoke; Jan 19, 2015, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Inclusion > Differentiation
                2 points that are inseparable and essential
                kubuntu 20.10

Comment

kb

You precisely are who is needed.... the students are ROUNDLY SICK AND TIRED of people pushing agendas, or that have no experience out of the classroom or are just plain .......now worth the small piffel of holy black that it would take to blow their brains out....

Teach one section....right.......and watch their eyes light up! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

What agendas are all these people pushing?

Comment

As to agendas.

I've spent 4 years at a major land grant University, and many years at several regional colleges and regional universities, and now a community college.

And during that time also.......I taught high school! lol

By and large......... the major landgrant was ALL left. A hilarious exception was that I was going to a grocery store and there was an "evangelical" church near it and I saw a PHYSICS prof going toward it, he saw me and...... walked over and said..."Please don't say anything, I don't have tenure yet.".... okaaay.........

The "regional colleges and universities vary depending upon how far away they are from a "major city". In the "major city" the faculty is overwhelmingly left. But, there are some strident conservatives, just not many. And they do not "meet in the middle" or have a "playing the dissident opinion" relationship. The lefties ARE OUT TO PROVE....that left is better....

The private colleges, some of them with very long histories and well respected are split in surprising ways. One which is financed by a church.....is very left and ......very pro-gay.....in an understated way.

One is "neutral" almost to a fault......... the rest are very right.

The community colleges are, again, caught up in "degree wannabe". The closer that they are to a major lefty university........where they might aspire to a job, the more left they are.

The further out from the "big city", they are more "neutral".

However, in ALL cases. the "left" is very "in your face" and "in the face of the students", while the conservatives are, by and large, just teaching.

But, there is one woman that always has her politics classes jammed, she is full time faculty and she is OVER THE TOP conservative, and she basically does two things in her classes.... teach very "consitutional" politcs and also.....when a student bring here a "topic" which they do to just watch the show........she destroys the left positions using consitutional stuff, simple history, digging out "previous quotes" which contradict present statements, it really is hilarious.

So.............. as to "forcing agendas"...... it tends to be in the political classes, history classes tend to completely dismiss anything about 'the middle east", except that has changed this last year or so.....they are really pushing that "Islam" is great... which is kind of strange, because all these people are retreaded hippies and toke da dope or do the whine and cheese and Islam says that "alcohol" (and drugs) are the root of all evil.... lol

Art classes are VERY .........as in VERY.........wannabe........"p@## C%@*$t" you know, the statue of Christ in a jar of urine. The faculty which are, curiously people who have come here from either coast are very much about "shocking" the student for no particular reason instead of "teaching" how to paint, etc.

Basically they are not able to rise to the top of the heap on the coasts and escaped here so that they can lord it over people that they have a "much richer experience" than locals all that.

If one could see some of the......... absolutely.........derivative stuff that these people produce, from outdoor staturay to indoor art of whatever.........

There is nothing new.......so they have to "take it out" on the poor student....... very sad actually.

The church colleges are actually having a kind of "renaissance" in that they are pushing the "western school" and the "south western school" which is very "representational" and a face has to look like a face instead of just a daub on the canvas... and they are graduating people who go into the field and make good money....

So the artsy types are.......well.........just pitiful in many ways...

Biology tends to "work through the evolution part" of a book, but it is being shoved down by the textbooks themselves because of the ongoing revolution in DNA.

DNA shows that evolution is the ONLY reasonable explanation, it is all in the numbers, not somebody's opinion about this bone or that bone.

Most "fundamentalist".......really fundamentalist......students go to the church run colleges and so, by default almost all students at least go along with evolution, but they do not like having it SHOVED on them, and the "newly minted" biology people really like to do that...... the more experienced folk push it but don't shove it.

By and large..........then..........the larger the "school".....they more that the faculty is skewed left, the community colleges tend to be "middle"......but MOVING left and the church supported colleges of course hew right and conservative.

The problem in the faculty lounge is that the "lefties" really are IN YOUR FACE about it.. they are always, ad nauseum, ranting about this or that...... while the conservatives just get a cup of coffee and go about their business.

That's why I like my little pond......it is a biotechnology and "certification" campus for things like physical theapy, lab technician, EMT, hearing, all that...

Because of Obama care I lost, along with all other part time teachers nationwide, one third of my classes, so I was teaching two physical science and one biology, they gave me the two physical science.

The department of education decided in their aswome wisdome that elementary science teachers don't need to know nuttin' 'bout no rocks, and so now my elementary ed section and regular section are straight physics.

Every once in a while we get an older new hire that lost a job at a bigger school or in industry and they all come in with a left agenda, and are always trying to start "talking points" with people....

fortunately it only bleeds into lectures when it gets to things like "evolution of the universe" etc, but they are just a pain and almost cartoons of "liberalism"... and that is a contradistinciton to the land grant university.

The regional colleges and universities all ........ I mean.........all, if you are in history, english, music, etc. wearing the "uniform" of the liberal elite.....khaki pants, pastel shirt, and for women sixties granny dresses. The land grant univiersity......does not "do uniforms".......they are a hodge podge of appearance. It is almost laughable to look at the clones of the "liberal elite" of say the...... history faculty walking down the hall...

Curiously.......the church colleges ..........are mostly uniformed up as......Matrix! lol...........gotta be differnt than those liberals! lol

At the junior colleges, not so much uniforms, and tend to wear clothing appropriate to the activities involved, or of course, lots of white lab coats, or tie dyed! lol...latest rage! lol

Starting years ago, at the land grant college I noticed that when the "new" faculty.. are not actually teaching...........they ALMOST TO A PERSON are sitting with incredibly doofus, not the kewl ones !! , gray big noise cancelling headphones listening with closed eyes, and a BEATIFIC look on their face, to some kind of classical music...ignoring everyone else in the lounge until they come up for air and to start an argument.

And they almost always are saying something snide under their breath as they walk down the hall about the kids with their Iphones... and of course the kids hear it.

The conservative faculty, tend, when in the halls to actually VISIT with students! lol.......

And the neutral faculty the same........

The really far left don't tend to last long........they are usually either just not re-hired or they relatively quickly get on as adjunct at the univeristy(s) and are then happy. lol

A lot of this is all about degree inflation, pecking order, social class etc.

So...... again, the left agendas are mainly in the softer classes, mainly politics, literature, art, etc. etc. The sciences and math have the agendas kind of hidden in the faculty lounge.

The right agendas are screwed down TIGHT in the church supported colleges.

The "trades" part of any college is very.......very .......right and conservative, but..............not necessarily....."religious" they tend to be beer drinkers and football watchers......really.......

The problem to me......is that we are growing further and further into two, possibly three, divided camps which is not good for dialogue, or the country in general.

Fortunately, I'm in high tech! lol...... no time for agendas! get your coffee and leave! lol

hope this helps a little

woodsmoke
                      Last edited by woodsmoke; Jan 23, 2015, 10:35 PM.

Comment

You seem like a very bitter man, woodsmoke.

Comment

lol nope! that is one of the things that really irritates a lot of the people who think that I'm conservative! I'm always in a good mood!

I mean.................I am the ONLY adjunct instructor in the midwest, at the college level, who

a) started teaching biology, and my classes always filled, 24 / 24.
                          b) was moved to environmental science .... and again.....my classes were immediately 24 / 24.
                          c) asked to consider moving to two physical science and retain one biology, and again, classes filled, althoug physical science has always had the stigma of "math phobia".......which I am actively working to get changed.
                          d) then after Obamacare reduced the number of classes adjuncts can teach nationwide, the department heads decided to retain me in physical science because.....my classes fill while others the dropout rate is well into fifty percent.
                          e) now, I'm doing "pure" physics........ one class filled the other at.......lol......8:30 in the morning not so much.........but........one never knows! lol

So.........I am extremely happy, I'm at the top of my teaching game, giving presentations on my methods at places like NISOD and C3chem,

Getting to dive in beautiful azure water over corals that take your breath away and acting as photographer/assistive diver for disabled people......

Who could wish for mor! lol

wellllllllllll..........maybe a nubile young lady to swim with me! lol

HOWEVER, I can see how people get that idea on forums such as this............

And I think that possibly it creeps through because I am SO SAD......about the lost possibilites of liberalism......

I mean.......I go back to Kerouac and Ginsberg, The whole thing in Europe with the explosion in "modern art".

I cut my teeth on "cool jazz" while the rest of the kids were schlepping around to "That doggy in the window" and Elvin Pelvin gyrating his hips......

At my college everybody thought that I was from "back east" because I did abstract paintings for competitions and produced formless poetry and STOLE ABOUT THE CAMPUS.....in the dark of night........

putting up abstract,...........eyes.....looking at you.......... silk screened posters that my room mate and I did in our dorm room..........leading up to..........the film noir of 1984..........that was in......... 1965 lol

No.........I'm saddened by the lack of vision and real new creativity of liberalism........it has hardened into looking backward at the glory days or is just off into shouting...

And........I'm saddened by the lack of vision of conservatism........ it has never really had a "renaissance"...... and again.........has hardened into looking backward to the glory days or is just off into..... "standing around with a miffed look on their faces".

It did occur to me that I didn't really answer your question. I described "the sides" but not the agendas.

So........

Speaking only of the PUBLICLY FUNDED SCHOOLS.

A) the proportions vary depending, again, as stated above, as to the size of the school, the level of degrees offered etc.

B)
                          The overarching agenda pushed is that capitalism is evil and that socialism(the codeword for communism) is good.

When engaged on the actual number of people that are dead from "Christianity" although the overarching term used is "religion", vs Communism/Socialism, they rant always goes back to the Crusades. Of course anyone who knows the numbers wins the argument and then they revert to:

"Well........PURE........the PRISTINE FORM..........as stated by Marx has never been implicated ........WE ( notice not I, although the implication is that "she / he "would be leading the effort ) would do it right."

And again, depending on the discipline there is more of an in your face about it than others.

i) History, Literature, Philosophy, Physchology (all of the "wanna be sciences) etc are strongly in your face and a student who questions things is definitely on the bad list. And it isn't as if the students can change sections. By and large most faculty in these disciplines are at the very liberal stage of development. They picked it up in their undergrad classes, had to hew the line in grad and are now either a) having to prove their chops to the other profs or are on the downslide from a major institution and having to re-prove their chops.

ii) Art is off into the cartoon of the drugs and NEW..........absinthe! Notice that they are NOT developeing anything new.......it is all throwback to the sixties, fifties and then a leap back to France of the 1800s.

iii) Music is well.......they have to actually PRODUCE something so they are generally not agenda driven in the classroom, and, by and large not a lot in your face in the faculty lounge.

iv) the hard sciences, with the exception of biology are, again, more about having to produce a verifiable work product. Chemistry not much in the student face, physics, same.

Astronomy, since they really DO...........deal.......with...........lol........ ..the REALITY of.........everything being relative and not ever really knowing if the math that they are producing is correct generally only has the in your face discussions about cosmology. But, don't push them or they will bristle.

Biology, again is the hotbed of liberality with evolution. If the student does not BELIEVE evolution then they are definitely on the naughty list. HOWEVER...........again..........even that is being downplayed ....even the textbooks are not pushing it so much and that is because of DNA.

It is not a situation now of .........you have to hew to the line of EVOLUTION IN ALL CAPS.......and learn about embryology recapitulates phylogeny( long ago dismissed but there really are TEACHERS........not researchers, that choose to take it up as .........an alternate form of thought......again, just to prove their chops. After all........NONE of these people are actually DOING research in evolution....... they just read about it and teach it.

Again, it is the DNA. DNA is now settled science. It really is self-consistent in its results. DNA now ties all of the biological disciplines together and......so........duuhhh.............there is not much to ARGUE about and BE IN YOUR FACE about.......it is now a given.

Even the students get the idea.

It used to be that one had to do the homology of limbs thing, and the similarity of fossils, all that stuff that..............to the OUTSIDE observer.........was ........really...........a matter of opinion...

I've been involved in DNA research since the early nineties, I was involved with some of the early work on Gel electrophoresis and PAGE analysis of DNA based on the seminal work that was done at Cold Harbor Spring.

I was a "presenter" for the states "Principal Association", taking little makeshift devices using petri dishes and paperclips for electrodes around to the schools, but.....none of them did it, it was waaayyyyy of their skill level.

Following quickly on that I was involved in developing and implementing a "mobile laboratory" using what is now the standard gel - electrophoresis equipment, taking the setups around to schools to use for free but again, it was "well I teach evolution and DNA" we don't have time for that.

lol............one week of actually doing the gels saves a month of teaching time........but that is not the way most teachers from high school up to the University think........at the high school it is now all about the test.......thanks to Bush,......... grrr and at the college level it is all about academic freedom and strutting in front of the captive classroom.

A surprisingly good measure of "what is going on" in teaching nowadays comes from the statistical requirement that all testing be "neutral".

To meet the demands of standardized testing..........grrrr one is continually having to meet the latest buzz word of the educationist........."metrics"........ and that is done. by..........

wait for it..........

"neutral testing" which is "multiple choice".........

On the surface.......it seems to be logical......and it is.......logical.......but..........

WHO.........produces the "test"........

Ummmm the textbook company.........not the teacher...........

The exception to this USED TO BE the small school........but again, thanks to BUSH........... grrr...... now EVERYbody..........has to have "reproducible results".......

LOL

so........what NOBODY ever does who is a REAL EDUCATIONIST........is...............actually peruse ALL of the questions in each section of the "test banks"

Now, I must admit, that I most recent such perusal is ONLY in biology.........but............

the way that the text book companies.........SKEW the testing........is to...............alter the ratio of "this kind of question" as opposed to "that kind of question".

In other words.......a "random sampling" of "the questions"........give a bell curve of questions that is PREsorted to............what the textbook company decides to put in the question bank! lol

During the last ........don't know.........five or six years.........there has been a disctinct shift away from an "expected" number of questions about "evolution" toward a larger percentage of questions "just about DNA".

And..........again............the students have seen enough information about "DNA" on television, CSI Las Vegas, etc. and they have had it very first thing in the middle school textbooks and then biology, that when they get to college they kind of have a sense of it....

After all............it is all "just reading and videos and computer simulations".

So.........the in your face Evolution stuff in the classroom has been kind of muted, not because of a moderation of the instructor, but the requirements of the course.

Now this is all INTRODUCTORY courses.........

When one goes past them the ASSUMPTION is that the student has to be well into BELIEVING .........evolution........again.......they have done no research....

The whole "accept the theory" is just a waving the hands for "believing" a theory.......

Kind of like relativity.......... there are probably not ten researchers on the planet who KNOW that relativity is correct because they deal with it in the laboratory, it is all a "theory" and has to be "accepted" which is double speak for "believe'.

C) The church schools.

Catholic Church schools actually TEACH evolution in bioogy classes because the Church accepted it what, a couple of decades ago, and a Catholic developed the Big Bang Theory....... (the secular colleges DO NOT TEACH THAT HE DID THAT, waving of the hands there... lol......) .

All of the Evangelicals teach as a given, and there is no argument from the students because they have been "siloed" into it that the literal few sentences........avoiding a few other sentences.....in Genesis, are correct.

The "science" of evolution is the "creation science". and again.......they have to "believe" it...

So............again.......

The hyper liberals are driving the secular college students in one direction.

The hyper fundamentalist christians are driving the church college students in another direction.

And, I think that can only portend and even greater divide......

BUT........................ take heart!

The physical science, and now physics text that the department at my college adopted three years ago.............

very first thing........AT THE END of the chapter on scientific method has one and a half pages, before the "technology" / "disciplines" section entitled:

Science, Art, and Religion.

In which it is argued that science is a system about studying the physical world, the arts are about "personal interpretation and creative expression" and religion addresses the "source, purpose and meaning of it all".

to quote:

science asks how, art asks who, and religion asks why
                          Pearson, Physics, Hewitt.

So......maybe there is hope after all............because the author is a recognized author and researcher in science education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_G._Hewitt

hope this more cogently answers your original question! lol

Comment

Wow woodsmoke, I have not even made it to One, A, a, i or whatever and I am already sleepy.

Comment

Originally posted by anika200 View Post
                              Wow woodsmoke, I have not even made it to One, A, a, i or whatever and I am already sleepy.
                              LOL
                              Me too
                              kubuntu 20.10

Comment

Working...
                              X