This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mmmmm, fiber :]

Installed yesterday. I am one happy nerd!

The tech didn't have the right modem in his truck. Today he'll bring the correct unit for gigabit fiber and I should be able to obtain around 950 Mbps, aided by a hardware-based TCP offload stack.

Gosh darn momma-flipping heck!

I can haz some of that??

Sent from my Verizon HTC Droid DNA smartphone running an HTC One m7 Google Play Edition Rom with Android 5 Lollipop, via Tapatalk --as if phone stats really matter, the phone is outdated, lol!

Comment

Wowzy wow, Can you time travel with that giga-fiber fast thingy.

Comment

makes my home fibre connection look like a snail ...
        Hope this helps. Steve ...
        Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, except bad news.
        Shuttle XS35 - Intel Atom 1.6 - 4GB Ram - 500GB HDD - Linux Kubuntu

Comment

Yikes! You could bring down NK with bandwidth like that

Have you gone for that thing where you let someone put a server in your house and in return you get silly quick internet access?
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            Installed yesterday. I am one happy nerd!

The tech didn't have the right modem in his truck. Today he'll bring the correct unit for gigabit fiber and I should be able to obtain around 950 Mbps, aided by a hardware-based TCP offload stack.
            Merry Christmas indeed!

My miserable 25Mb/s, $70/month connection
            IPv4 speed

Time Warner Cable Internet LLC
            23.2 Mbit/s
            IPv6 speed

2001:4978:f:580::2
            Sixxs-uschi02-tun1409
            16.1 Mbit/s

just makes me want to ...

when compared to yours. You can download a distro in a second ... a movie in under 5 seconds. Your connection will probably be faster than many, if not most, servers out in Internet land!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I would love to have your 16.1Mb speed GG, you think yours is bad take a look at the speed I get.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Guest; Dec 23, 2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Wheee!

Code:
                steve@t520:~/junk$ [B]time wget http://mirror.pnl.gov/fedora/linux/releases/21/Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5.iso[/B]

--2014-12-22 21:38:47--  http://mirror.pnl.gov/fedora/linux/releases/21/Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5.iso
                Resolving mirror.pnl.gov (mirror.pnl.gov)... 192.101.102.2
                Connecting to mirror.pnl.gov (mirror.pnl.gov)|192.101.102.2|:80... connected.
                HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
                Length: [B][COLOR="#B22222"]1472200704 (1.4G)[/COLOR][/B] [application/octet-stream]
                Saving to: 'Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5.iso.1'

100%[====================================================================================>] 1,472,200,704 64.5MB/s   in 34s    

2014-12-22 21:39:21 (41.6 MB/s) - 'Fedora-Live-Workstation-x86_64-21-5.iso.1 saved [1472200704/1472200704]

[B][COLOR="#B22222"]real    0m33.870s[/COLOR][/B]
                user    0m0.844s
                sys     0m11.091s
                Last edited by SteveRiley; Dec 23, 2014, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Now you're just showing off...
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                    Yikes! You could bring down NK with bandwidth like that
                    The thought entered my mind...but someone beat me to it! LOL

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                    Have you gone for that thing where you let someone put a server in your house and in return you get silly quick internet access?
                    What? Nope, it's standard fiber-to-the-home. CenturyLink has provisioned two neighborhoods in Seattle now -- I'm in Ballard -- and plans two more early next year. Friday last week they sent a truck roll to install the drop to my house; it's a 425 foot aerial run from the fiber node on the utility pole down the street. The guy said it was the longest in Seattle so far, heh. Yesterday a tech came to install the ONT (optical network terminal) on my house. Connect that to the house's phone wiring (which is already CAT 5) and everything's going great.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    You can download a distro in a second ... a movie in under 5 seconds. Your connection will probably be faster than many, if not most, servers out in Internet land!
                    Tried last night... see previous post. Took 34 seconds to download Fedora 21 Workstation, a 1.4 GB file.

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                    take a look at the speed I get.
                    Your ISP is blatantly lying. 1.64 Mbs can no longer be rightfully considered "broadband."
                    Last edited by SteveRiley; Dec 23, 2014, 03:48 PM.

Comment

The speeds would be great of course, but the ping time is what I noticed. Will be curious to hear if fiber is as low latency as I've read it is.

Who is your ISP btw?

Comment

Your ISP is blatantly lying. 1.64 Mbs can no longer be rightfully considered "broadband."
                        The ISP that I use is called Sky Broadband who use BT's telecoms network of which most of their network is still reliant on copper wires. BT have not yet laid fiber optic cables in my area so I am stuck with such a poor download speed. And there is no news when or if BT will be laying fiber optic in my area. Even if I was to change to another ISP I will still be reliant on the BT network of copper cable.

Edit: Also another thing, all ISP's here in the UK are not forced to supply broadband at the advertised speed as long as they use the words "up to" before their advertised speed they can get away with providing such a poor speed. e.g. if the ISP's maximum speed they can provide is 48Mb as long as they use the words "up to 48Mb" they can get away with providing speeds much less than that because they had used the words "up to".
                        Last edited by Guest; Dec 23, 2014, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
                          Who is your ISP btw?
                          CenturyLink. A few years ago they bought Qwest, formerly USWest, the incumbent telco in much of the western US. When I ordered the service, someone came to survey the site and decided that they would schedule time to dig a trench for a conduit to put a fiber ring around the whole townhouse complex. That was going to take a while, and I didn't want to wait! After several phone calls, I finally got hold of the network operations supervisor for Seattle. He dropped by the house and we talked. He promised to twist some arms and get an aerial drop provisioned now. Someone did it the next day.

This is not any form of DSL. Instead, it's GPON -- Gigabit-capable passive optical network. Curiously, rather than just presenting Ethernet on the downstream side of the ONT, it presents PPPoE. I'm guessing because everything else in CenturyLink is DSL, that's what they're used to. It's probably because they want to rely on PPPoE's subscriber authentication mechanism rather than devise something else. The drawback is that PPP adds eight extra bytes to the header, so it's necessary to adjust the MTU of every computer in the house from 1500 to 1492. This avoids packet fragmentation.

Originally posted by ronw View Post
                          The speeds would be great of course, but the ping time is what I noticed. Will be curious to hear if fiber is as low latency as I've read it is.
                          What I'm noticing now is the latency and especially the jitter that exists elsewhere within the Internet. Like with that Fedora download (and several other tests) -- the progress bar will fly, then slow down, then speed back up. That variation -- the jitter -- is annoying. I blame it on buffer bloat, which is a major problem on the Internet now. People need to stop putting huge buffers in network equipment and just let TCP do its friggin' job.

Comment

Oh man... the call to Comcast was too damn easy. Here I was hoping for something like what this poor schmuck got, because I was all set for a good oldfashioned argument! Instead, even though my call was instantly transferred to the "loyalty department" the moment I said "disconnect" to their VRU, it was all over in 30 seconds. So after 16 years I'm no longer a Comcast customer. What a liberating feeling!

Comment

What I'm noticing now is the latency and especially the jitter that exists elsewhere within the Internet. Like with that Fedora download (and several other tests) -- the progress bar will fly, then slow down, then speed back up. That variation -- the jitter -- is annoying. I blame it on buffer bloat, which is a major problem on the Internet now. People need to stop putting huge buffers in network equipment and just let TCP do its friggin' job.
                              Poor you, having to wait 34 seconds for a whole operating system to download...

I'm curious about what you said about PPPoE. Is there no router your side of the ONT? The connection between my router and modem is PPPoE too.
                              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X