• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turla Trojan Unearthed on Linux

Turla Trojan Unearthed on Linux

Steve -

Anything to this?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

It's being over hyped. LWN has a good debunking of its supposed "stealthy" nature.

Both Ars Technica and El Reg have now said it is ultra-stealthy. From what the Kaspersky report says, I don't think so: it runs as non-root and thus cannot stop even a simple ps from finding it. Its only 'stealthy' feature that I've heard of is to open a promiscuous socket using libpcap and only open a port when a particular set of packets with specific sequence numbers turn up: that's not very stealthy given that both ss and ip can show who opened that just fine.

The other suspicious feature given is that its symbols are stripped! Oh no! /bin/ls on most distributions has stripped symbols too, does that mean that Linux distributors are distributing dangerous stealthy tools?!
    Also check the comments threads on the articles at The Register and Ars Technica. It takes a human doing something stupid to obtain the malware.

Comment

I guess then that it would only infect/affect seriously Linux systems that are natively ROOT open? Like Puppy? Then really not much of a story and yes based on poor setup and user lack of awareness and knowledge.

Comment

You're correct. Well maintained systems have nothing to fear from this.

Comment

Working...
        X