This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
    The way some Americans go on, you'd think yours was the most evil of them all!
    Did you read about the congressional report on US sponsored torture released yesterday? I suspect there are many that think our government is evil - both inside and outside the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/10/wo...port.html?_r=0

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      I suspect there are many that think our government is evil - both inside and outside the US.
      Yes but isn't the government agency that snowhog works for your equivalent of HMRC (taxes etc.), or did I get the wrong end of the stick? That's the one I meant some Americans complain about so much they seem to think it's the most evil agency of them all!
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Oh, and I should have said "Inside and outside the US Government" too, lol. Don't know if the hog is an IRS agent, but I've been audited - it sucks.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          the hog is an IRS agent
          You just blew my mind there.

Comment

hehe. No, I work for the Alaska Army National Guard, which is part of the Army National Guard, which is a component of the Department of the Army, which is a branch of the Department of Defence.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Argh, was it all just a carefully crafted cover story?? Not sure where I got that impression from... maybe just a massive extrapolation from you helping people with tax returns and stuff like that a few times... lol!
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Tax return help wasn't me. I think that's oshunluvr.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  Department of Defence.
                  Your spelling makes me question your allegiance.

Comment

I had it spelled 'correctly', but either the spell checker in the forum, or in Kubuntu, didn't like it and suggested that. Oh well. Go with your first choice!

Comment

Hm. Are you set up for American or British English?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        I had it spelled 'correctly', but
                        Wait. You also use British style single quotes when we here Merikins use double quotes. Enjoying those crumpets with your tea?

Comment

Well I'm glad I finally understand what you're on about, couldn't see any spelling mistakes and was very confused.

Great plan Webster, stick it to the Brits by changing their language in trivial and inconsistent ways!

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          Enjoying those crumpets with your tea?
                          IME there's only one kind of crumpet that Brits really like... and while it may be edible in a loose sense of the word, it doesn't go well with tea.
                          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Yeah, but you do have biscuits with tea! Weird...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                              Great plan Webster, stick it to the Brits by changing their language in trivial and inconsistent ways!
                              Efficiency is hardly a synonym for trivial. We've dropped the superfluous "u" from your -our endings (neighbour, harbour), we've switched the "e" and the "r" to their rightful places to reflect how words sound (theatre, saltpetre), blasted the totally ridiculous "ue" from your -ogue endings (catalogue, homologue), purged the "a" and "o" from your fancy-schmancy ae, oe weirdness (anaemia, diarrhoea), used a sufficiently single "l" where you still prefer a double "ll," and kicked the ending "e" out of root words with an -ing suffix (ageing, routeing). These all seem like advances to me

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                                Wait. You also use British style single quotes when we here Merikins use double quotes. Enjoying those crumpets with your tea?
                                Excellent Ale and hand tossed pizza I'll have you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X