This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going in, please look for me if I don't come back up soon :D

Haha, this may not be the correct topic for this, but oh well.

After 3 years or so on intel-only gpus, with the odd, ancient open-driver-only ati thrown in, I finally buckled down and found a reasonably priced low power, low profile graphics card for the 'ole HP 6000 Pro Small Form Factor doing HTPC duties. Got me a fanless Geforce GT 610.

I did zero research on compatibility (as is my normal routine), other than finding it is a low wattage card and has HDMI and DVI. Nouveau seems to work ok so far, but I am going in cold, installing the recommended binary driver (331.89) as I type.

Wish me luck

Well, it's been 15 minutes already... update! update!

Comment

Ok, that was a lot of boring. Other than Plymouth having the ugly text

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        Well, it's been 15 minutes already... update! update!
        Lol it was that long? Actually I am eating a late dinner as well, and have a Plasma 5 plasmashell not starting or crashing at login (not related to Nvidia)

Comment

You mean it just worked?

I didn't know Plymouth had text. It's one of the first things I get rid of every time I build a machine. I neeeeed my 1980s style scrolling boot messages. Bootsplashes that hide progress behind a curtain make me nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Plasma 5 plasmashell not starting or crashing at login (not related to Nvidia)
            Oh. Sounds like it didn't just work, then.

Comment

You mean it just worked?

I didn't know Plymouth had text. It's one of the first things I get rid of every time I build a machine. I neeeeed my 1980s style scrolling boot messages. Bootsplashes that hide progress behind a curtain make me nervous.
              Ya, it just....booted and logged in like it is supposed to.

I am getting is the fugly text-mode plymouth splash, not the fancy Kubuntu logo glowing and pulsing. No terminal spewing. I don't really care, but a sooper quick google search presents a fix.

Comment

Oh. Sounds like it didn't just work, then.
                No, it is not from the drivers or gpu, I got the same thing on my laptop; I am running the kubuntu-ci dailies on both the PC and the Latitude.

Comment

Aaaaaaand XBMC no longer plays video

Yay I get to try and fix something lol!

Comment

Hey Claydoh...

I did that stuff........ years back! lol

And I thought that "I" was into old geeky stuff!

Hey, it oughta work fine! BUUUTtt.....considerin'....it WILL take some tweakage.......maybe go back a few releases to..........don't know........... Chompin' Coelocanth! lol

woodsmoke
                    Last edited by woodsmoke; Nov 30, 2014, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Naw, Woody, it was just XBMC, which did not like having hardware rendering and/or hardware acceleration enabled. Thought it was a driver problem, but decided to update XBMC first - now called Kodi (lame!) and bang, everything is hunky-dory, no tweakage involved.

For a 35 dollar card, it is interesting that I can play Portal with most everything set to High - need to see how Half Life 2 fares, with it's less sedate pace. Downloading Goat Simulator now, but I am off to bed. May need moar ramzes than the 2 gb this box has.

I must just be lucky, I never ever check for compatibility or for possible gotchas or user woes. Things just work.

Comment

Working...
                      X