This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SailfishOS / Jolla anyone???

I've been following a new linux phone distro called SailfishOS and a Finnish cell phone company called Jolla.

Love the phone but can't get it here in the US - Well, I could get it but it wouldn't work so what's the point?

Annnnyyyywaayyyyy...

The are running an Indegogo campaign for a new tablet running Sailfish so I bought in. Any Jolla fans on here?

Please Read Me

I thought you were waiting for the Ubuntu phone.

By the way, what's happening with that phone? I haven't heard anything from Canonical recently about the phone.

Edit: I searched for the Jolla phone on Amazon UK and in particular the reviews of the phone and most are very positive. To check therm yourself click the link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jolla-Sim-Fr...+mobile+phones
    Last edited by Guest; Nov 25, 2014, 05:51 AM.

Comment

The Ubuntu phone (good memory BTW ) never made it out of the campaign. They shot way too high IMO. $32 million USD is a lot for an experiment. SABDFL wanted to take a chuck of the market in one big piece instead of creating demand by have a better product. Too bad because the spaces on that phone are still unmatched. I wonder who has the prototypes? I think the other mistake might have been over-estimating the willingness of the consumers to spend $650+ on a phone. The only group spending that much these days are Apple-tards and they're not jumping ship in mass numbers.

In comparison, the Jolla phone is only €249 at the Jolla store and I got the tablet for $220 shipped. Mid-range specs, but the proto looks great and I try to support Linux whenever I can. Motorola has very nice phones now for around $200 and their high-end phones are around $400 without any contracts! I'm amazed more people aren't buying them.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've been following SailfishOS and Jolla for a while now, it seems like a promising project. As someone else put it, Jolla is mainly comprised of people who "rage quit" Nokia... lol. They seem like a pretty decent bunch.

I'm waiting for the Neo900, I love the form factor and want a Linux phone that will let me perform remote administration on my server easily... touchscreens just don't cut it for me and I don't use my phone like a normal person. Resistive touchscreen looks great. Since the Neo900 is as close to "open hardware" as you can get in a phone, I should be able to run Replicant (fully free Android), Maemo5 (the Debian based OS that shipped with the Nokia N900) and many of its derivatives, and hopefully Sailfish too to have a play around.

It seems that many N900 users dual boot (properly, no shared kernel) as it is, so I'm looking forward to the same kind of freedom to choose from multiple OS at boot that I have on my laptop.

I hope Jolla is successful, it doesn't harm to have another competitor carve themselves a niche. I don't understand why they chose a proprietary license for Sailfish's UI though, that is a sticking point for me. I'll be interested in how you get on with it when the tablet arrives!
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

That look like an interesting project, although I don't think I could go back to a phone with a form-factor that thick. Currently, I have a Moto X and it's about the thinnest and lightest phone on the market. I've considered putting Sailfish on it just to test it out, but I need my phone to work and don't to go through the downtime for the install.

An interesting feature of Sailfish (at least on the phone) is the ability to run android apps. I'm assuming the tablet will have the same abilities, which would make it the best of both worlds. I'm willing to make the $200 bet

Please Read Me

Comment

[QUOTE=Feathers McGraw;362900]I've been following SailfishOS and Jolla for a while now, it seems like a promising project./QUOTE]

Me too
            Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            Motorola has very nice phones now for around $200 and their high-end phones are around $400 without any contracts! I'm amazed more people aren't buying them.
            Where I live, even Verizon coverage is somewhat spotty, I have an S5 through US Cellular

My last phone was a motorola, I never got the darn thing rooted
            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
              the Neo900, I love the form factor
              Yep, I really miss hardware keyboards. But the phone's specs are so 2012:

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                But the phone's specs are so 2012:
                Including the resistive touch screen, which I don't think you would get elsewhere

I think the specs are the best you can get with open hardware, they're basically retrofitting a GTA04 into a N900 case with some added bits. That's important since they aren't making many devices (~200) - if it was all new there wouldn't be much chance of getting ports for different operating systems, but as things stand a replicant port is already underway for the GTA04.

I'm wondering how much CPU & RAM is used by the android VM itself, it will be interesting to see the speed difference between an OS like Replicant and one like Maemo5 or one of the other Debian derivatives.
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                  I'm wondering how much CPU & RAM is used by the android VM itself, it will be interesting to see the speed difference between an OS like Replicant and one like Maemo5 or one of the other Debian derivatives.
                  Good question. Somewhat related... Android 5 ditched Dalvik and uses ART exclusively. Dalvik would "compile" the Java each time an application runs -- consuming RAM, CPU, and battery. ART compiles it only once, during installation. This is why installation of apps on Android 5 takes a few seconds longer. But apps start much faster, use less RAM and CPU, and therefore chew through less power.

Comment

That's cool, should make more of the hardware we already have!

Even more OT, I was shocked to learn recently that sqlite compiles statements into bytecode before it executes them. The whole prepared statements thing is quite elegant really.
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X