This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinuxLite 2.0

A friend of mine pointed me to a light version of Linux called LinuxLite 2.0.

It's based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

The minimum requirements are:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	min_specs.png
Views:	1
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	648802

It uses the Xfce desktop, which explains the desktop speed.

I created a 16GB guest OS in VirtualBox directly from the downloaded iso file. Using the ISO file directly, instead of burning it to a CD and then booting the CD, is a VERY FAST to install the guest OS.

Lite it is. Quick it is, even as a guest OS!

I've played with it for about an hour. It is a very nice distro for older hardware, and even for the latest hardware if browsing, emailing and watching youtube is the extent of your Internet usage.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I looked through the Linux Lite tour on their web site and they have a graphic which highlights that RAM usage is 186.8MB (I'm guessing that is from boot up).

On an old Dell PC I have Exe/Gnu Linux installed that I use as a glorified DVD player which has the Trinity DE (formally KDE3.5) and when booted the RAM used is 98MB and when running Kaffeine it shoots up to 115MB. Now that's liight (lite)!
    Last edited by Guest; Nov 19, 2014, 01:12 PM. Reason: added URL

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
      I looked through the Linux Lite tour on their web site and they have a graphic which highlights that RAM usage is 186.8MB (I'm guessing that is from boot up).
      Lubuntu is "lighter", reports about 160 MiB on boot up, I imagine because LXDE is lighter than XFCE. Lite has reviewed well IMO because it includes painlessly the software people want. I wish the new release had come out earlier, in April, when Win XP went out of support, and I was "breathing new life" to several desktops. However, I'm quite pleased with Lubuntu.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Yup. It is nice to have so many fine Linux choices for old or underpowered hardware.
        Sooner or later everyone will be there, unless they can fork over money for new hardware.

My current laptop, an Acer V3-771G, is approaching 3 years old ... one computer generation. Many of the letters on the keyboard are rubbed off, and occasionally a key double strikes, but other than that it is running fine. I am going to continue using this box until it dies. If the newer Kubuntu releases get to heavy for this box I will switch to the newer releases of a lighter Linux. Lubuntu or LinuxLite would make excellent choices. (BTW, I believe that LinuxLite was based on Puppy, even though the website states an Ubuntu base.)
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 20, 2014, 09:22 AM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

In the international move I tossed out an old laptop that was still running perfectly well a copy of Windows 95.

In 16MB of RAM.
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Was that with or without the viruses?

Comment

Even the virus writers had to be efficient back then.
              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Na, the script-kiddies just re-used the same code and occasionally shuffled some lines in it. It was easy to fool the early AV software.

Comment

Working...
                X