X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ComputerCOP actually spyware

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/0...olice-agencies

For years, local law enforcement agencies around the country have told parents that installing ComputerCOP software is the “first step” in protecting their children online.

Police chiefs, sheriffs, and district attorneys have handed out hundreds of thousands of copies of the disc to families for free at schools, libraries, and community events, usually as a part of an “Internet Safety” outreach initiative. The packaging typically features the agency’s official seal and the chief’s portrait, with a signed message warning of the “dark and dangerous off-ramps” of the Internet.

As official as it looks, ComputerCOP is actually just spyware, generally bought in bulk from a New York company that appears to do nothing but market this software to local government agencies.

The way ComputerCOP works is neither safe nor secure. It isn’t particularly effective either, except for generating positive PR for the law enforcement agencies distributing it. As security software goes, we observed a product with a keystroke-capturing function, also called a “keylogger,” that could place a family’s personal information at extreme risk by transmitting what a user types over the Internet to third-party servers without encryption. That means many versions of ComputerCOP leave children (and their parents, guests, friends, and anyone using the affected computer) exposed to the same predators, identity thieves, and bullies that police claim the software protects against.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Money behind the wheel...
    Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

a “keylogger,” that could place a family’s personal information at extreme risk by transmitting what a user types over the Internet to third-party servers without encryption. That means many versions of ComputerCOP leave children (and their parents, guests, friends, and anyone using the affected computer) exposed to the same predators, identity thieves, and bullies that police claim the software protects against
      SMFH. Even though I've spent pretty much every day the past four weeks dealing with security stuff, this has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        SMFH. Even though I've spent pretty much every day the past four weeks dealing with security stuff, this has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever read.
        I had to look up the meaning of SMFH, but could you expound on the rest of your comment?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          I had to look up the meaning of SMFH,
          Me too, it made me laugh out loud when I read what it meant! Steve, were you saying that the article had misunderstood massively, or that they were right and that the developers had been, ah, "ultramaroons"?
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I had to look up the meaning of SMFH
            Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
            Me too, it made me laugh out loud when I read what it meant!
            I've used this expression a handful of times here; seems maybe I'm the only one, though. At least that's what the search function showed

but could you expound on the rest of your comment?
            Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
            Steve, were you saying that the article had misunderstood massively, or that they were right and that the developers had been, ah, "ultramaroons"?
            I suppose I wasn't sufficiently clear. What I'm criticizing is not the article, but the ComputerCOP software itself, with a special dose of firey opprobrium for the ultramaroons who decided it would be okie dokie to send secrets and other private information in clear text over the fsking Internet! "Security" software written with no regard for, well, security?

Comment

Ah, that's what I thought you meant, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Your graphic says it all.

Comment

Working...
              X