Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it true thatthe best way to upgrade & install software in linux is through termina

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it true thatthe best way to upgrade & install software in linux is through termina

I have read about & i'm also wondering what the diffrence between terminal & GUI?

The Whole Truth...

With the terminal you will see the 'The Whole Truth and Nothing But the Truth'. With the gui you will see pretty pictures.
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

The terminal. No doubt about it. Besides being very informative about the processes taking place, the terminal is faster because no GUI pictures have to be painted, as Rog132 says.

I let the system tray notifications tell me when an update is ready to install. Then I open a Konsole and issue
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get dist-install
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I agree with Rog (and Gerry!)

I actually quite like the new Muon Discover for finding packages if I don't know what I'm looking for, and it's sometimes nice to see a screenshot if it's a graphical application... but I will always open a terminal and use apt-get to install the program.

When you do things this way you tend to learn more, which is nice in itself but can also be useful - you may have a problem one day and realise that you know how to fix it because you've picked up a few things just by tinkering!
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          The terminal. No doubt about it. Besides being very informative about the processes taking place, the terminal is faster because no GUI pictures have to be painted, as Rog132 says.

I let the system tray notifications tell me when an update is ready to install. Then I open a Konsole and issue
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get dist-install
          that would be ,,,,,,,
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get [COLOR=#ff0000]dist-upgrade[/COLOR]
          and yes ,,,,the terminal

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            that would be ,,,,,,,
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get [COLOR=#ff0000]dist-upgrade[/COLOR]
            and yes ,,,,the terminal

VINNY
            Duh!

Stoopid typo! I wish my fingers were smarter ....
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X