X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bye bye Bodhi Linux

A message from the lead developer of Bodhi Linux. Here

He doesn't mention the reason why he's giving up development of Bodhi but I suspect it is due to work and family commitments.

This highlights the danger of relying on a GNU/Linux distribution that is developed / maintained by one person. When that person can no longer spend time developing and maintaining it then it will close down leaving the average user to look for another distro to use. It also highlights that if we (the users) really value a distribution we should be ready to support it financially so that the developers can earn a living wage and not have to seek employment elsewhere.
    Last edited by Guest; Oct 28, 2014, 04:32 PM.

I agree, NickStone!
    Fortunately, Kubuntu has the financial support of Blue-Systems, which pays at least two developers, and which is assisted by several volunteers.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
      A message from the lead developer of Bodhi Linux. Here

He doesn't mention the reason why he's giving up development of Bodhi but I suspect it is due to work and family commitments.
      This is very sad news, but hopefully someone else will keep it going.

It also highlights that if we (the users) really value a distribution we should be ready to support it financially so that the developers can earn a living wage and not have to seek employment elsewhere.
      I agree, which is why I make it a point to financially support, as best I can, all of the projects I rely on. I don't think we should expect people to pour their hearts and souls into creating wonderful software for free.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

i suspect it didnt have the user base,

it was very impressive looking but enlightenement can run on any distro

RIP Bodhi
        K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

it was very impressive looking but enlightenement can run on any distro
          But its selling point was that it was lightweight and could run on older and slower computers than most other current Linux distros.
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            I agree, NickStone!
            Fortunately, Kubuntu has the financial support of Blue-Systems, which pays at least two developers, and which is assisted by several volunteers.
            My comment was not to users of Kubuntu. It was a aimed at anyone who distro hops and use distros that are developed / maintained by one person. I knew that Blue Systems paid / sponsored one programmer (Jonathan Riddell) I didn't know there were two.

Comment

I used Bodhi for years on my netbook. I liked it a lot. Switched to Kubuntu at 12.04.

I agree with Nick. PCLinuxOS went through a bad patch when Tex had some troubles. Not good to have your OS dependent on one person IMO.

Please Read Me

Comment

I used Bodhi for years on my netbook. I liked it a lot. Switched to Kubuntu at 12.04.
                You liked Bodhi that much you switched to Kubuntu? That sounds daft.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                  But its selling point was that it was lightweight and could run on older and slower computers than most other current Linux distros.
                  .....and is based on Ubuntu. There are plenty of Ubuntu derivatives that run extremely well on older machines, and any number of equally tiny Enlightenment based distros. This kinda spreads all the E love a bit thin since it is not widely used enough

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                    oh, did not know that!

bohdi was always on the list of to do things...

Comment

It really is to bad. I chose to run Kubuntu because I knew that it would not run out of resources. Currently, I'm running e19 and I'm really loving it!

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                        You liked Bodhi that much you switched to Kubuntu? That sounds daft.
                        No, I liked Bodhi a lot but I'm not the only one that uses the netbook. My other "users" weren't keen on the interface differences and about that time the netbook portion of Kubuntu got sufficiently light weight enough that the netbook could handle Kubuntu.

Besides, just because you like vanilla doesn't mean you can't also choose chocolate once in awhile. Pfffftttttt

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          ...I agree with Nick. PCLinuxOS went through a bad patch when Tex had some troubles. Not good to have your OS dependent on one person IMO.
                          To make matters worse for PCLinuxOS at that time, a few of his team got the idea that they were czars who could dictate to everyone else and territory wars broke out. That was the reason why I switched from PCLinuxOS to Mandriva. One could not hold a civil conversation without the czars overriding anyone or everyone if what was written didn't jive with their personal views.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

'To make matters worse for PCLinuxOS'

tried PCLos, it wont install on my desktop - black screen, 64 bit full monty. pretty sad turn out on standard self built AMDcpu/Gigabyte mobo/Ati video/ssd hdd/ usb dvd/ sound blaster x-fi/ razer mouse/keyboard thats about it. lol.

it wont instlal on my vaio laptop - black screen, 32bit full monty.

since evertyhing else boots, installs and runs on those machines, it doesnt say much about this Os

have read a few good reviews about PCLinuxOS on the web and in Linux Format mag, it's a fail here, I emailed to guy who runs the forums (you have to email him to get a forum account) he didnt reply, my email was informational rather than complaining etc..

anyways, thats my take on it

Comment

PCLinuxOS was great in the beginning and was really good for beginners. I wouldn't go anywhere near it now nor do I recommend it any longer.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X