This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want a good laugh?

My HP dv7 laptop--the one I've been debating repairing or donating--was running 12.04 very happily. I've long since copied everything I needed over to the new System76 laptop, so the dv7 has just kind of been sitting around idle for the most part. (Ironically, it has *NOT* been running hot at all lately. Go figure!) Well, about a week ago it started nagging me about upgrading to 14.04, so a few days ago I went ahead and started it. Note that I normally prefer to do a clean install, wiping my root partition and installing a newer version of the OS on a nice, clean drive. But I figured, what the hell?! So it finished the upgrade and everything was fine and dandy. Until today when I shut it down for a while. When I turned it back on, I got a bunch of error messages and ended up with nothing but a login prompt. (Good thing I'm a command line person at heart.) I'm outside on my patio right now, typing on my Chromebook and frankly don't care enough to post any of the error messages or anything from the HP. I think the moral of the story is that, for me at least, it really is best to do a clean install vs a version upgrade, so now I'll add that to my list of things to do with the HP...if I decide to keep and repair it.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

LOL yes thats a good one .

on this HP-G62 do the OS ver. upgrades as I feel like some times net some times new .
    I never had a prob doing the "do-relece-upgrade -d" thing my self ,,,,,,but I alwase did 1 ver. jumps at a time ,,,, not 4,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

It just seemed really like, see!, you should've listened to your gut instinct!! Oh well, no harm done.

I'm glad I'm as methodical as I am when it comes to REAL stuff. I mean, if that laptop had still been the one I was relying on, I either:

A) would've let it continue running 12.04 until hell freezes over, or,
      B) upgraded by doing a wipe of / and a clean install

Regarding #A: I still have 5.04, yes, old Hoary Hedgehog him/herself, running on my oldest desktop computer.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
        A) would've let it continue running 12.04 until hell freezes over, or,
        B) upgraded by doing a wipe of / and a clean install

Regarding #A: I still have 5.04, yes, old Hoary Hedgehog him/herself, running on my oldest desktop computer.
        Cool
        utill recently I had a desktop that still ran an old slackware variant called Ultima linux that was baced on the slackware-8 series and KDE-3.5,,,,,,,the box is gone but the HD is still on a shelf .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          Cool
          utill recently I had a desktop that still ran an old slackware variant called Ultima linux that was baced on the slackware-8 series and KDE-3.5,,,,,,,the box is gone but the HD is still on a shelf .
          You're a man after my own heart, Vinny. You should SEE my collection of old hard drives!

Comment

Working...
          X