X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Martian

A new sci fi book by Andy Weir.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Martian-No.../dp/B00EMXBDMA

The scene is the near future. No super duper science tools or miraculous technology, just what is possible and available today. A six person crew lands on Mars and sets up a habitation tent, and does other chores until the sixth day, when a vicious sandstorm begin tipping over their 27 meter tall return vehicle. The crew rushes to the MAV to return to the Hermes, an Ion driven space ship with a rotating midsection to create artificial gravity. One off the crewmen is hit the side by a piece from the high gain antenna, penetrating the EVA suit. The five who get into the MAV check the comm signal from the downed crewmen and note a suit pressure of zero. They launch without him because no one can survive more than a minute at zero pressure. But, he survives! And thus begins his odyssey to survive until the Aires 4 mission lands 549 days later.

The story is more believable than that of the movie "Gravity", and just begs to be made into a movie.

Once I began reading I couldn't put it down. I finished it in less than a day.

It ranks among the top five sci fi books I have read. Right up there with Robert J Sawyer.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Sounds interesting. Will take a look/read. Thanks!

Comment

I was curious about Andy Weir because I had never heard of him before. It turns out that he self-published this, his FIRST novel, in 2012 and Crown Publishing purchased the rights and published the hard cover and released the kindle edition.

I was surprised to learn that I wasn't the only one who thought that the book deserved to be made into a movie. The movie version of the book will be released in November of 2015. It will star Matt Damon, and excellent choice. Here is a small YT video of the basic plot summary:

and here is a Google Talk by Andy Weir:
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Read some of the sample from Barnes and Noble. I'll probably wind up buyin that one!

Comment

LOL, they rejected my first submission....however, MASH was rejected by.....what.....7 publishers...........they are kicking themselves in the............ ankle ......for that!! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            LOL, they rejected my first submission....however, MASH was rejected by.....what.....7 publishers...........they are kicking themselves in the............ ankle ......for that!! lol

woodsmoke
            Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all!

Comment

Working...
            X