X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyber safety, cyber order, and filling the vacuum of wishful thinking

Dan Geer at BlackHat 2014: Cybersecurity as realpolitik

Sobering:

The late Peter Bernstein, perhaps the world's foremost thinker on the topic, defined "risk" as "more things can happen than will." With technologic advance accelerating, "more things can happen than will" takes on a particularly ominous quality if your job is to ensure your citizens' survival in an anarchy where, daily, ever more things can happen than will. Realpolitik would say that under such circumstances, defense becomes irrelevant. What is relevant is either (1) offense or (2) getting out of the line of fire altogether. States that are investing in offense are being entirely rational and are likely to survive. Those of us who are backing out our remaining dependencies on digital goods and services are being entirely rational and are likely to survive. The masses who quickly depend on every new thing are effectively risk seeking, and even if they do not themselves know it, the States which own them know, which explains why every State now does to its own citizens what once States only did to officials in competing regimes.

I have long preferred to hire security people who are, more than anything else, sadder but wiser. They, and only they, know that most of what commercially succeeds succeeds only so long as attackers do not give it their attention while what commercially fails fails not because it didn't work but because it wasn't cheap or easy or sexy enough to try. Their glasses are not rose-colored; they are spattered with Realpolitik. Sadder but wiser hires, however, come only from people who have experienced private tragedies, not global ones. There are no people sadder but wiser about the scale and scope of the attack surface you get when you connect everything to everything and give up your prior ability to do without. Until such people are available, I will busy myself with reducing my dependence on, and thus my risk exposure to, the digital world even though that will be mistaken for curmudgeonly nostalgia. Call that misrepresentation, if you like.

Then again, reducing our dependency on the digital world is a risk in its own right. I was "independent" of computers for a period after leaving college and before I could afford a PC. Aside from any vulnerabilities I might have lacked (pretty small back in the early '80s) I was "away" long enough that everything I'd known about coding in Fortran and PL/I, and virtually everything I knew about programming in general, was obsolete. The same thing happened after I'd gotten back into programming after entering the PC/Internet universe; I started programming again in the late '80s (Tandy Color Computer BASIC) and continued into the early 1990s (ANSI C, Modula-2, a little assembler) -- then stopped because I didn't have the money to keep buying new tools every couple years. Next time I looked, it was 2010 and everything I knew was hopelessly obsolete.

Make yourself independent of things, and you're likely to forget how to use them (that is to say, technological skills are "use it or lose it" by their nature), and even if you remember every tiny detail, what you know won't be useful unless you've spent the entire interim plugged in and constantly learning. "It's all the running you can do to stay in one place" might have been an employer talking to a coder, rather than the Red Queen talking to Alice.

Comment

I'm going to have to look up that document on routers - the point he makes about how embedded systems need to be either updatable or have a finite lifetime is a good one.

It's kind of scary how everyone has at least one router in their house, and yet of all the people I know (many of them engineers and "technical people") perhaps five could explain what a router does and of those just one has ever updated the software on their router. To most it's just a black box.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there are dormant botnets in home routers... I guess we'll find out in the next major war between developed countries.
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
        It wouldn't surprise me at all if there are dormant botnets in home routers... I guess we'll find out in the next major war between developed countries.
        No need to wait. https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...ets+in+routers

Comment

Oh great!
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X