This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    That has to be fiber optic. Copper wire coax can't go that fast!
    Oh, it can go much faster. DOCSIS bonds multiple television channels to obtain some very fast speeds. My Comcast service combines eight 256QAM channels for 105 Mbps downstream throughput. Without throttling, DOCSIS 3.0 with 24 downstream channels can reach 912 Mbps; DOCSIS 3.1 should reach speeds of 10 Gbps using 4096QAM and smaller channel spaces. Coaxial cable has oodles of possibilities.

Originally posted by ronw View Post
    That I got so excited about 300mbps down, in 2014, in one of the most densely populated cities in the country, is actually a sad state of affairs.
    Totally agree. Municipal bandwidth is totally the right thing in this century. Lace the city with fiber, bundle the price into property tax, and be done with it. Every politician who tries to squelch municipal broadband needs to be taken out back and shot.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Oh, it can go much faster. DOCSIS bonds multiple television channels to obtain some very fast speeds. My Comcast service combines eight 256QAM channels for 105 Mbps downstream throughput. Without throttling, DOCSIS 3.0 with 24 downstream channels can reach 912 Mbps; DOCSIS 3.1 should reach speeds of 10 Gbps using 4096QAM and smaller channel spaces. Coaxial cable has oodles of possibilities.
      Pardon my brain fart. I was thinking in terms of maximum frequency vs. impedance on the last mile of RG58/U or RG59/U cable feeding the wall sockets of most homes, not signal compression, which is what DOCSIS is doing. The old POTS phone line connection was able to use V.92 to get 52Kb/s, IIRC, on a phone line which Shannon theory predicted a maximum theoretical efficiency of 34Kb/s.

My own laptop has a maximum limit of 1Gb/s for ethernet and 300Mb/s for N band wireless. Were Lincoln ever to get capabilities exceeding those limits I would have to buy a new laptop or remain on the turtle I am riding now.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

In case in the USofA and if you're looking for better speeds:
        http://www.wallstreetotc.com/virgini...peed-us/26776/

Comment

Working...
        X