Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XED opens their Linux course to students!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XED opens their Linux course to students!

https://www.edx.org/

Introduction to Linux

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in learning how to use Linux. LFS101x: Introduction to Linux is now live! To get started with the course:

Go to edX.org.
    Once you're logged in, click on the course name or the image of Tux the Linux penguin to launch the course.
    Read the announcement on the first page and follow the instructions.
    Start learning to use Linux!
    The course is self-paced and should take between 40-60 hours to complete. We’d love to hear how you’re enjoying the course and we’d love to hear when you complete it! Just tweet us at @LF_Training using the hashtag #LinuxMOOC, or leave a comment on our Facebook or Google+ pages. Happy learning!

Thanks,

Jerry Cooperstein, PhD
    Training Program Director
    The Linux Foundation
    I've finished Chapter One of the source. A comprehensive introduction to Linux.
    The course recommends using a GNOME version of Fedora or OpenSUSE or Ubuntu, but any distro based on them (CentOS, Linux Mint and, of course, Kubuntu) is acceptable. Those who haven't used GNOME can install Ubuntu 14.04 as a guest OS, or run it as a LiveUSB or LiveCD (as recommended by the course material). What you would learn running GNOME would be helpful and most of that knowledge would transfer to Kubuntu & KDE anyway. Besides, it will give you the opportunity to compare GNOME with Kubuntu and see the overwhelming power of the Force ... errr ... KDE 4.13.x

I will be completing the course using KDE instead of GNOME. If there is interest I may start a thread showing KDE work-a-rounds for GNOME peculiarities for those who take the course using Kubuntu & KDE.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 01, 2014, 11:05 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Thanks GG! I'm interested. Gnome 3 is a little heavy for a virtual box guest without 3D acceleration. My only other option as you said is CentOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Comment

I signed up for this as well. Looks basic, but interesting. Looking forward to getting through some of it this weekend.

Am I right in assuming that there is no deadline for completing the material?

Comment

Right. Self paced. Audit or for certification.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Cool I will be taking this (LFS101x) on my Kubuntu box ,,,,,,,,,thanks GG

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

just finished chapter-1 the introduction ,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...