Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home theatre pc software recommendations?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home theatre pc software recommendations?

I apologize if this in the wrong place. I was wondering if you guys have any good suggestions for HTPC software. A few things I am looking for is remote control from your smart phone, perhaps making some fun policy trailers (I think only XBMC can do this iirc). I tried Plasma Media Center but seemed fairly young in its development (still great software nonetheless). Also is anyone running KDE connect with success? That type of integration would be neat as well. Thanks in advance.

My system: AMD A8 6500 Richland, 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM, MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD, Antec Earthwatts Green 380W PSU, Kubuntu 14.04
    Not running it as a media server or anything like that, I basically just have my flatscreen tv hooked up via HDMI and switch inputs whenever I want to watch a movie. Works great.

XBMC probably has the best set of features and addons. Yatse is a fantastic remote for it, probably the only android one that actually works or is updated. I still use my htpc remote most of the time, though.

I just have a simple setup, using my monitor as I do not own an actual TV, with a used dual core PC as the htpc doing not much else beyond streaming/downloading duties.

Comment

+1 for XBMC.

The XBMC remote isn't as intuitive as Yatse, but it's FOSS and it works well enough for me. Yatse is better at detecting XBMC and automatically configuring itself.

BTW, look into Consumer Electronics Control (CEC), it allows devices to control each other via HDMI, meaning you can control XBMC with your TV remote too if it supports CEC... most manufacturers don't call it that though, preferring to name their implementation something like "Regza Link".

They could do with a "Lite" version of the XBMC remote that doesn't require so many permissions too... some of them are for features like pausing when you get a call, and aren't necessary on a tablet.
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Ok thanks all, I will try these solutions.

Comment

I run Plex media server, not sure about remote,
          but,
          it is awesome for organising and keeping track of media files, streams to any network device, iphone, ipad, laptops etc through web interface or an app (app costs $)

and if u need a remote, u just need a wireless mouse, he he
          K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Working...
          X