This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which one would you choose?

If there were only Linux with Gnome Shell or Windows Vista, which would you choose?
    GNU/Linux with Gnome Shell
    90.91%
    Windows Vista
    9.09%

The poll is expired.

Pretty contrived question, but given my limited experience with Vista, I'd choose virtually any Linux over it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brewster.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	642337
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

C. Stone knives and bear skins

Comment

@HalationEffect: So what your saying is, if there were only these two operating systems available you would not have a computer.

@SteveRiley: Typical, give someone two choices and they want a third.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
            @SteveRiley: Typical, give someone two choices and they want a third.
            I don't believe in limits.

Comment

Now I'd be the oddball here and lean a little toward Vista :eek:

Yes I dislike gnome shell that much that I'd actually have to stop and think about the choice

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

Yes I dislike gnome shell that much that I'd actually have to stop and think about the choice

And that is why I voted Vista above.

Comment

Of course I'd choose the Linux box with GNOME--and then hack it and install KDE.
                  Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I voted GNU/Gnome ,,,,,,, I can always add a different DE ,,,, heck Fluxbox would do .

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                      And that is why I voted Vista above.
                      Service pack support ended April 2010 -- no new service packs after this date.
                      Mainstream support ended April 2012 -- no non-security updates after this date, no new features, no warranty claims.
                      Extended support ends April 2017 -- no security updates, no paid support, maintenance of knowledgebase ceases.

Are you sure you'd go with Vista?

(source)

Comment

Well based on the "Question" there is no mention of alternate DE and it did not specify what time frame for GNome. So I surmise that the question is if the two were of the same release year with nothing further which would you rather use.

Comment

Well based on the "Question" there is no mention of alternate DE and it did not specify what time frame for GNome. So I surmise that the question is if the two were of the same release year with nothing further which would you rather use.
                          Gnome ,,,,,,, I think when vista was still new Gnome was still Gnome and kinda OK

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Well if there is the choice of hacking in an alternate DE I would definitely go that route but the questions is vague at best.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                              Of course I'd choose the Linux box with GNOME--and then hack it and install KDE.
                              Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                              I voted GNU/Gnome ,,,,,,, I can always add a different DE ,,,, heck Fluxbox would do .

VINNY
                              I am assuming that you are stuck with the DE, no changing.
                              I'd still have to ponder the choice, supported OS or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X