X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a stupid law?

UK anti-piracy campaign set to begin

Taken from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28374457

People in the UK who persistently pirate music and movies will soon start getting emails warning them that their actions are illegal
    also later it states:
    But if people ignore the warnings, no further action will be taken.
    If there's no further action, what's the point of the warnings? (He says whilst scratching his head)
    Last edited by Guest; Jul 19, 2014, 10:00 AM. Reason: amend mis-spelling

I suppose the theory is that at least some (poorly informed) portion of those who receive the notices will be 'scared straight'.
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Very similar to a law here in North Carolina that prohibits putting any plastic beverage bottle (water bottles, soda bottles) into garbage bound for a landfill. Intended to encourage recycling, in itself a reasonable and noble cause -- but the law contains absolutely no provision for penalties, and as a result, many businesses don't provide any facilities for employees to even attempt to recycle their drink bottles. If I were done working there, it'd be tempting to sue my employer for the mental stress they've caused by making me into a lawbreaker for the past several years. On a contingency fee basis, I'd have nothing to lose but time spent in court, and might well collect enough to do something with...

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Observer View Post
          but the law contains absolutely no provision for penalties
          There is in Seattle -- some pretty hefty fines.

Comment

Very similar to a law here in North Carolina that prohibits putting any plastic beverage bottle (water bottles, soda bottles) into garbage bound for a landfill. Intended to encourage recycling, in itself a reasonable and noble cause -- but the law contains absolutely no provision for penalties, and as a result, many businesses don't provide any facilities for employees to even attempt to recycle their drink bottles. If I were done working there, it'd be tempting to sue my employer for the mental stress they've caused by making me into a lawbreaker for the past several years. On a contingency fee basis, I'd have nothing to lose but time spent in court, and might well collect enough to do something with...
            say I live in NC to (Lexington) and my employer dosen have any recycling facilities either ,,,,,,,,lets go class action lawsuit

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              ,,,,,,,,lets go class action lawsuit
              Unfortunately, I still need that job...

Comment

Unfortunately, I still need that job...
                LOL ,,,,,ya me to ,,,,,,,and I just got made teem leader of the saw and machining cell of our plant so maby this go's on the back burner.

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                X