This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma 5 is made available

July 15, 2014. KDE proudly announces the immediate availability of Plasma 5.0, providing a visually updated core desktop experience that is easy to use and familiar to the user.
    Read full article here

cool ,,,,,,think I'll go with the live .ISO first then the ppa:neon/kf5 to get it installed as a log in session ,,,,then the ppa:kubuntu-ppa/next for a plasma-4 replacement if I like it

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I noticed the icons look flat and 2-D. Windows and iPhone OS look more flat and 2-D now.

I prefer the appearance that looks more 3-D. It's probably just the theme selection.
      sigpic

Comment

Don't worry about it, the themes and icons can be changed. I'm sure when you have KDE5 (oops, I mean Plasma 5) installed you'll have it looking like KDE4 (oops there I go again, I mean Plasma 4).

Comment

Yes the icons, from what little I fiddled with it appear to be: "metro", "flat" which, nowadays, means..."modern".

I, personally do not like that appearance, although the colours are very bright and pleasant, (to my eyes at least)...that is one thing that I love about the present Kubu... very three dimensional and "glassy" as it were.

That however, is only a very small part, I think that the new Plasma 5 is just going to blow our minds...I think that it will do "right" what "Unity" got all wrong. Just my thoughts.

woodsmoke

Comment

installed this on 14.04 using this guide http://www.webupd8.org/2014/07/how-t...untu-1410.html

its terribly unstable, all apps crash all the time. luckily installing it didnt affect my old plasma desktop

Comment

I just do not like the "windows metro" look of Plasma5/Kde5

Comment

I like it.
                Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                Always consider Occam's Razor
                Rich

Comment

Working...
                X