Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Feathers McGraw - that's usefule. The review SteveRiley pointed my to also mentions the excellent keyboard and superior battery life. To be honest, the keyboard is far more important to me than the touchpad! My ideal solution would be just a trackpoint with the old buttons (which are great!), and no touchpad at all - but I suppose that's not available.
    Regarding HP, I've asked some friends and actually many complained abotu the heat problems with HP consumer laptops, but no one had experience with the business line.

Btw. sicne the Thinkpads now have a gigantic touchpad, how is gesture support in KDE? (I never use the touchpad on my T60p - I actually used to disable it, because it accidentially activates).

Comment

Btw., Feathers McGraw, what display do you have? The super fancy IPS one or the Full HD? I was wondering if the upgrade would be worth it...?

Comment

I only use a few gestures like two finger scrolling, not sure about the rest.

You know there's an option to disable the touch pad for a set time after keyboard input? I find it really useful.

I went for the IPS screen... it's something everyone always comments on. Very crisp, definitely worth it!
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

My Gazelle p6 is coming up on 3 years old. I went with the Gazelle 15.6" screen precisely because of traveling, which in my case includes fairly long walks to and from the subway for most trips.

Battery life is not stellar, but I don't know if that is the battery or Linux, or some of both.

My next laptop will also be from System76 unless something massively better comes along.

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
            You know there's an option to disable the touch pad for a set time after keyboard input? I find it really useful.
            Yes, now I have that, but it took me a while to figure this out.
            Good to hear that you like the IPS screen - On the 15.6" version, the resolution is a bit odd (1.5xFHD, I think); I'm not sure if this causes scaling problems.

And I take it you don't really miss the discrete video card?

Comment

Originally posted by Chopstick View Post
              Good to hear that you like the IPS screen - On the 15.6" version, the resolution is a bit odd (1.5xFHD, I think); I'm not sure if this causes scaling problems.
              One thing I forgot to mention is I went for the non-touchscreen model.

This is strange: my screen is FHD IPS 1920x1080, and was the more expensive option when I ordered my laptop, but looking at the Lenovo UK site now the FHD IPS with WWAN is £1.32 cheaper than the HD+ WWAN despite having a higher resolution. Not sure if they are trying to trick people into ordering the other one or not but whatever!

And I take it you don't really miss the discrete video card?
              Nah I don't miss the video card, but then I don't play games so perhaps I'm not the best judge. I went without the discrete graphics card because:
              a) dual graphics on Linux can be a lot of pain for little benefit IME, and often requires proprietary drivers which I don't like.
              b) the laptop is more power efficient without the extra graphics card.

The laptop plays bluray quality films with no problem, and looks great. The higher resolution screen lets me fit way more on this display than I could on my old 15.6" laptop.

Can I make a recommendation if you're upgrading your laptop: make sure it has decent WiFi capabilities. Transferring files around my house is much quicker on 5GHz than 2.4GHz, and nobody else is using 5GHz so I have that part of the spectrum all to myself

The default wifi chip for the T440s was a "thinkpad wireless 2x2 BGN", which I upgraded for about £10-15 to an Intel chip (AC 7260) which supports 802.11ac. I didn't want to have to open up my laptop in a couple of years to replace the wifi chip, and routers are cheap in comparison. Most smartphones now come with better wifi capabilities than B/G/N!
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Very interesting, Feathers McGraw! I was wondering if I should go for a WiFi upgrade, and after you comment, I think I probably will. And for me you are exactly the right jdge of video performance: I don't game either and if it plays bluray quality without problems, that's more than enough!

Comment

Yet another reason for favoring ThinkPads is Lenovo's custom ordering capability. You can start with a base model and alter its specs to your liking. For example, right now on the Lenovo web site I'm tweaking a T540p to the way I'd like. The base system price is $899. My modifications:

* Processor: from Core i3-4000M to Core i7-4700MQ -- add $205
                  * Display: from HD (1366x768) panel to 3K (2880x1620) panel -- add $370
                  * Graphics: nVidia GeForce GT 730M -- add $130
                  * Memory: from 4 GB to 16 GB -- add $340
                  * Fingerprint reader: remove it -- subtract $20
                  * Storage: from 500 GB hard drive to 256 GB solid state drive -- add $320
                  * Wireless: from ThinkPad wireless 2x2 to Intel dual band 7260AC -- add $30

Total build price: $2274. Not bad for a machine that likely has at least a four year usable lifespan.

Some other thoughts:

* If you do anything more than surf the web (excluding video sites) and read/write email, Core i7 makes a big difference over Core i5 (in the mobile CPU family). Core i3 a joke.
                  * You don't need a vPro processor. vPro is a set of enterprise-managed security features that allow an IT department to remotely manage a PC. Not necessary for home users.
                  * Intel graphics is fine for most cases; if you play a lot of games or routinely want to drive three monitors, you'll need the nVidia graphics.
                  * Try to use two memory DIMMS rather than one, to enable the dual-channel memory bus. If 8 GB is fine, then order with two 4 GB DIMMs rather than one 8 GB DIMM.
                  * You don't need an Opal SSD. Like vPro, Opal is an enterprise management technology that's useless in home situations.
                  * Definitely upgrade to the dual-band wireless, and make sure that your wireless access point is also dual-band (preferably with separate radios for each band).

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    ... One recommendation: do not buy HP. Three years ago, my wife's DV9000 burnt itself up. Shoddy heat sinks. Read about my adventures:
                    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post340940
                    Follow the links there for the full story.
                    I second that opinion.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I basically agree with all of what you say about the Thinkpads, SteveRiley. The customizability is really unparalleled as far as I have seen. Except that I would like to keep my new laptop for more than 4 years - I've had my Thinkpad T60p for 7 years now!
                      Personally I would go without a discrete video card, also in hope that it uses less power and the power unit might be smaller.
                      Regarding RAM and SSD, I was thinking that I can get these separately and install them myself. I have the impression that the mark-up in price for RAM and SSD is a bit too much. So basically I was thinking I get the regular HDD and take out the optical drive and put an SSD in. I literally never use my optical drive, but I use my external HDD everyday.

Comment

I basically agree with all of what you say about the Thinkpads, SteveRiley. The customizability is really unparalleled as far as I have seen. Except that I would like to keep my new laptop for more than 4 years - I've had my Thinkpad T60p for 7 years now!
                        Personally I would go without a discrete video card, also in hope that it uses less power and the power unit might be smaller.
                        Regarding RAM and SSD, I was thinking that I can get these separately and install them myself. I have the impression that the mark-up in price for RAM and SSD is a bit too much. So basically I was thinking I get the regular HDD and take out the optical drive and put an SSD in. I literally never use my optical drive, but I use my external HDD everyday.
                        Seven years -- that's a long time! I find that I can get about three years of usable life out of laptop. After that, the hardware specs can't keep up with what I need to do. So it's not really a durability issue but more of an insatiable need for MOAR POWAR.

Pricing for extra components...let's compare Lenovo vs. NewEgg for the RAM. The base model includes one 4 GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600 MHz SODIMM. Bumping up to 16 GB requires two 8 GB SODIMMs, for which Lenovo charges $340. NewEgg currently shows 27 different in-stock choices for a 2 x 8 GB pair, ranging in price from $145 to $186. I would limit my choices those running at 1.35 volts rather than 1.5, the lowest available CAS latency of 9, and a timing of 9-9-9-24. These would be Crucial Ballistix at $170 or Corsair Vengeance at $170 (what's up with violent names for RAM? LOL). Exactly half what Lenovo charges!

What about the SSD? Lenovo charges $320 for a 256 GB drive (and removes the included 500 GB drive). NewEgg shows 20 non-refurbished drives matching 256 GB, 2.5", 7mm, SATA III. They range from $110 to $450. There is quite a range of operating voltages and throughputs. The median price is $170, which is slightly more than half of Lenovo's charge.

You're right -- the markup appears to be 100% on the peripherals. Going your route saves you (340+320)-(170+170)=$320, and you get to keep the left-over 4GB SODIMM and 500 GB hard drive.

Comment

You're right -- the markup appears to be 100% on the peripherals. Going your route saves you (340+320)-(170+170)=$320, and you get to keep the left-over 4GB SODIMM and 500 GB hard drive.
                          So, with this in mind, I customized a T540p on the Lenovo website. Here are the specs I would choose:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.40GHz)
                          Operating System: Windows 8.1 64 (None, if possible, but I suppose not...)
                          Operating System Language: Windows 8.1 64 - English
                          Microsoft Productivity Software: None
                          Display: 15.5" 3K (2880x1620) IPS With WWAN
                          Graphics: Intel HD Graphics
                          Memory: 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600MHz SODIMM
                          Keyboard: ThinkPad New Precision Backlit Keyboard with Number Pad US English
                          Pointing Device: ThinkPad TrackPad No Fingerprint Reader
                          Camera: 720p HD Camera
                          Hard Drive: 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
                          Optical Device: DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer
                          System Expansion Slots: No Smart Card Reader
                          Battery: 9 Cell Li-Ion Cylindrical Battery 99.9Wh
                          Power Cord: 90W AC Adapter - AG
                          Wireless: Intel Dual Band Wireless 7260AC with Bluetooth 4.0
                          Integrated Mobile Broadband: Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradeable
                          Language Pack: Publication - US English
                          Adobe Software - Electronic Download: None
                          Security Software - Electronic Download: None
                          Warranty: 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

I will ask at out campus bookstore/computer shop if they can get me "educational pricing" on that.

And SteveRiley, you were right, the HP Elitebook is not as powerful as the T540p: what I initially didn't notice is that it does not have a quad-core option - only dual core! I really want the i7 quad-core!
                          The direct competition for the T540p would actually be the HP EliteBook 8570p, which is even bigger than the Lenovo and doesn't have a trackpoint, as far as I can tell. One advantage of HP is, though, that they do not necessarily ship with windows. Unfortunately I cna't seem to order them from the Canadian website, so I can't get a price quote.

I also notice that you also removed the Fingerprint Reader - you don't trust those either? My T60p has one and for the brief period I was toying around with the pre-installed Windows, I actually found them very convenient for locking the screen, but I imagine that it would be very easy to get your fingerprint off your keyboard and manufacture something that can fool the device.

Comment

I also notice that you also removed the Fingerprint Reader - you don't trust those either? My T60p has one and for the brief period I was toying around with the pre-installed Windows, I actually found them very convenient for locking the screen, but I imagine that it would be very easy to get your fingerprint off your keyboard and manufacture something that can fool the device.
                            The fingerprint reader is one you swipe across, which is actually better than the flat glass type. It's possible to retrieve a left-behind fingerprint from the flat readers; the swipe readers don't have this vulnerability.

I would order without the reader simply because I have no use for it. Right now, my password storage device is my brain, and I prefer to keep it that way. If I were to use some other device, I'd probably start forgetting my passwords!

Comment

The fingerprint reader is one you swipe across, which is actually better than the flat glass type. It's possible to retrieve a left-behind fingerprint from the flat readers; the swipe readers don't have this vulnerability.

I would order without the reader simply because I have no use for it. Right now, my password storage device is my brain, and I prefer to keep it that way. If I were to use some other device, I'd probably start forgetting my passwords!
                              Right - this is actually the reason I set my computer require a password after the screen saver was on (eventhough my computer is usually at home and when I am outside, I always lock the screen when I leave the computer unattended): it forces me to enter the password more often, so I don't forget it.

Comment

I forgot to mention ZaReason, which is another computer vendor supporting Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, Mint, and Debian Linux.
                                Check out their Strata 7440, beginning at $699, which can be custom modified to suit your tastes and your budget.

My son is pleased with the portability of his Gazelle. The battery life depends on what you do with it. Heavy compiling or 3D accelerated apps give about 3 to 4 hours, lite usage like general Internet browsing gives 4-6 hours. He can watch a full HD DVD movie on a single charge, but an HDMI connection to his 52" LCD TV gives a better picture.
                                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                                X