This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu's tablet and phone?

In another post the KDE tablet project's death was announced.

What about Ubuntu's tablet and phone?

I try to keep up with all the latest news in the Linux world. This morning I realized that I sensed a void in the Force. I hadn't seen any news coming out of Canonical concerning its tablet and phone offerings in the usual media. Ubuntu has its own weekly news site but it not saying much about the the tablet and phone market. Ubuntu Edge for tablets was pronounced dead last August but shortly after rough versions of Touch were released to selected testers. So, I dove into the web to search for news.

It appears that both the Ubuntu tablet and Phone is scheduled for release the 3rd Quarter of this year.
    Shuttleworth stated:
    “[Tablets] will arrive pretty much simultaneously with phones. Q3, middle of this year we’ll see both phones and tablets running Ubuntu on the market.”

Strange indeed, because "yournewsticker" reported that Canonical has "registered 10,000 activations of mobile Ubuntu", what ever that is, because the company has no contracts with manufacturers of smartphones. This means that all settings – focused, and not forced. Owners of Nexus 4 phones and Nexus 7 tablets can install Ubuntu. Is that where the "registrations" are coming from?

Worse for Canonical, the Samsung Z smartphone is set to hit Russia in the third quarter of this year. This phone is powered by the open source Tizen operating system. For those who didn't know, Samsung has been quietly developing Tizen in the background for three years. Tizen already powers the Samsung Gear watches. One can rest assured that Samsung has rolled its own version of the Linux kernel, libraries and user applications, void of any taint by Microsoft IP claims.

Should that happen, the likelihood of the Ubuntu Phone having a chance, in an already saturated market, is unlikely.Think about it this way. The IDC reports:
    • Android powers nearly 80% of the world's mobile devices
    • iOS powers just over 15% of the world's mobile devices
    • Windows phone powers just over 3% of the world's mobile devices
    • BlackBerry powers just under 2% of the world's mobile devices

There is a scant 1% left over for "Other."
    Because Samsung already has such a strong presence in the Android market, and because their devices are found everywhere, they could chip away (even slightly) at both the Android and "Other" markets. The Ubuntu Phone will most likely be relegated to the "Other" market. That's not much to pull from. Those low numbers will make it a huge challenge for Canonical and the Ubuntu Phone. To make matters worse, the longer it takes for the Ubuntu Phone to make its way to market, the smaller that user base will be. That's the crux of the issue -- time. Canonical announced its intention to create a Ubuntu Phone some time ago. Since then, it's been nothing but promises and a failed fundraiser for Ubuntu Edge.

Canonical recently announced the "Orange Box", which is to be used for JumpStart training, not for general sale. At its demo people approached Canonical wanting to buy hundreds of them. The Orange Box, which was designed by Canonical and the UK computer OEM Tranquil PC, sells approximately $12,750.
    Inside the Orange Box, you'll find ten Intel micro-servers powered by Ivy Bridge i5-3427U CPUs. Each mini-server has four cores, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 16GBs of DDR3 RAM, a 128GB SSD root disk, and a Gigabit Ethernet port. The first computer also includes a Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wi-Fi Adapter, and 2TB Western Digital hard drive. These are all connected in a cluster with a D-Link Gigabit switch. Put it all together and you get a 40-core, 160GB RAM, 1.2TB SSD cluster in a box.
    In a conversation after the keynote, Shuttleworth agreed that they hadn't expected this kind of reaction.
    But, Canonical hadn't made any plans to mass produce them. Amazing. They don't appear to know how to make money when the opportunity is handed to them on an Orange platter of their own making.

On a good note, Canonical has 238 job offerings listed on Indeed.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

The phones and tablets are hiding behind all those ubuntu TVs that hit the market late 2012.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    On a good note, Canonical has 238 job offerings listed on Indeed.
    Very few of those are actually from Canonical ltd, most of them are not from Canonical (they just match your search for some other reason):
    http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=%22Canonical+ltd%22&l=
    Last edited by kubicle; Jul 10, 2014, 10:01 AM.

Comment

GG wrote:

But, Canonical hadn't made any plans to mass produce them. Amazing. They don't appear to know how to make money when the opportunity is handed to them on an Orange platter of their own making.
      I QUITE AGREE!

I'm sure that nobody remembers but over a decade ago, I was in communication with ...can't remember his name..."the guy that was the face" of Xandros offering to start a franchise here in the midwest to install Xandros in my school and the school had AGREED to do it.... We had started with the TI's and then went to the C-64 and then the old IBM....our people were all about "bang for the buck"..

We communicated by E-mail.....then he stopped, I called....got secretaries.........offered to DRIVE TO NEW YORK CITY!!

Welll it was just as well...because the guy running Xandros dropped it one day and never looked back....curious how that worked out..

Back when I really DID "have some money" ....I had worked it out to buy a bunch of the OLPC machines "as a start", for no less than five local schools and install them in the schools as a test and the schools agreed that they would enter into a contractual agreement with me that I would be the "vendor" for them...not that I would "make money" but be the "middle man"..for....all of the elementary classes in the schools....that is a LOT of machines...

AND GUESS WHAT............

They would NOT talk to me ........I even offered to drive to MIT............and could not get anyone to talk to me....

If that had worked........I will tell you very simply that.........the WHOLE state would probably have bought into them...I actually "was on a roll" at the time, giving presentations on how to teach, innovative programs and was involved with "Eisenhower" and "Hughs" money developing innovative science programs...

Anybody remember Mandrake/Mandriva?

I had an "install day" that was LARGER than any other install day.......sent them photographic evidence....

What I got........was next year, and next year was......an INVITATION...

I filled out the forms........requesting stickers, etc. and GOT NO REPLY.........

NOT ONE FREAKING WORD...

I had three install days....the second two not as large as the first...

But hey.......... kids were doing the thing...

and what happened to Mandrake/Mandriva...

So.....yeah......... being that I am now SCUBA diving and actually take the phone on the boat to Skype my classes.........I was going to buy an Ubu phone as a "backup" for the Verizon Android...and if it worked as a "backup" then I was going to use it as a main phone...

soooo don't know...

woodsmoke
      Last edited by woodsmoke; Jul 10, 2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post

Back when I really DID "have some money" ....I had worked it out to buy a bunch of the OLPC machines "as a start", for no less than five local schools and install them in the schools as a test and the schools agreed that they would enter into a contractual agreement with me that I would be the "vendor" for them...not that I would "make money" but be the "middle man"..for....all of the elementary classes in the schools....that is a LOT of machines...

AND GUESS WHAT............

They would NOT talk to me ........I even offered to drive to MIT............and could not get anyone to talk to me....
        The reason is that Negroponte sold out the OLPC to Microsoft, as documented by a posting on the olpc blog:
        http://www.olpcnews.com/sales_talk/m...on_the_xo.html

The duplicity of Microsoft trying to create a "long and visible" record that directly contrasts the actual dealings may or may not come as a surprise to the gentle reader.
        Microsoft's own emails, revealed at the combs trials reveals the sordid details:
        http://www.olpcnews.com/files/micros...ls_on_olpc.pdf
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 10, 2014, 08:02 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
          GG wrote:
          Anybody remember Mandrake/Mandriva?
          Mandrake/Mandriva is still going but is now called OpenMandriva http://openmandriva.org/en/home
          It is also continuing in the name of Mageia http://www.mageia.org/en/

Comment

Sometimes I really wonder how Shuttleworth made his millions in the first place. The history of Canonical is littered with half-done projects. The only thing they have done well is Ubuntu (the core of Ubuntu, that is). For everything else they have either been too late to the market or too ambitious for their own good. In other news, the pc sales slump appears to be coming to an end. Good thing Canonical have been throwing all their money into an already crowded mobile market where they have a 0% share.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
              Interesting! In the last six months I had sensed an increase in laptop purchases as well among my friends and family. All who have purchased laptops are moving from Windows and/or smartphones to Apple or Linux with regular ISP connections that don't charge per GB of data. I have a 4" and a 10" iPod (wifi only) and I rarely use the 4" because it is too small for my fingers to type on the virtual keyboard, and the graphics is too small to see detail clearly. Ditto even for the 10", although it gives a larger image. My grandson is the major user of th 10" and he uses it to play Minecraft. I have a cell phone plan that charges us $78 for two cellphones and 1000 minutes, which we've never exceeded. Smartphones with 3D connections and 12 GB data plans are too expensive for my budget.

Comment

"I have a cell phone plan that charges us $78 for two cellphones and 1000 minutes, which we've never exceeded"
                I used to use Verizon, et cetera, say no more.
                Now, plain, simple, reliable:

https://www.consumercellular.com/Info/Plans

(If you should switch, let me know--we'd both get, I think, $10 or $20 one-time credit.) Basic phone is $35, free activation. https://www.consumercellular.com/Info/Phones
                To share the minutes, add $10/month for second user (plus the cost of the 2nd phone). I use it for domestic and International long distance (calls from USA to overseas), too. You can change your monthly plan at any time, as many times as you wish, back-and-forth etc., no extra charges to do so. 5% discount for AARP members.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  .....Now, plain, simple, reliable:

https://www.consumercellular.com/Info/Plans ....
                  I checked our minutes last month (haven't done this in several years: ~ 1,700 total -- 450 shared out of 1000, 450 free mobile to mobile, 450 free evenings and weekends, didn't realize that 900 minutes were free, , plus my 82 minutes ) and it would require the 2,400 minute plan, plus $5 for text, $10 for second line for a total of $55. Plus taxes: $65. Diff between that plan and verizon: $13. Eliminate textting and its $18 diff. Would have to buy two new phones because our flip phones won't work. $70 more, one time charge. I checked the coverage map -- big whole over most of Nebraska. My apt location is in a weak signal area. Talked it over with the boss and we decided to stay with our current setup. StraightTalk ($45/mo) resulted in similar marginal savings.

Comment

I think mobile-to-mobile are also free, but the 450 wouldn't throw your analysis. And coverage might be best checked with a call to them as the maps don't always tell the story (but a whole blank area doesn't sound too good).
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                      Sometimes I really wonder how Shuttleworth made his millions in the first place.
                      He formed the digitial certificate company Thawte in 1995 and sold it to Verisign in 1999 for $575 million.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        Canonical recently announced the "Orange Box", which is to be used for JumpStart training, not for general sale. At its demo people approached Canonical wanting to buy hundreds of them. ... But, Canonical hadn't made any plans to mass produce them. Amazing. They don't appear to know how to make money when the opportunity is handed to them on an Orange platter of their own making.
                        Second example of "Duh, we just don't fscking get it." First example was the Edge phone -- huge demand, abject failure.

If I ran Canonical, I'd immediately cancel all software projects infected with not-invented-here syndrome (that is, everything on this list not involving higher-level mobile and cloud stuff) and use the resulting left over cash and get into hardware business big time.

But: stop calling a box that you can get shipped to your door a "cloud." Cloud computing does not come in the mail. Sheesh. Cloud is not hardware. It's a deployment model that has the following characteristics, enabled by software and services:
                        • on-demand self-service
                        • broad network access
                        • resource pooling
                        • rapid elasticity or expansion
                        • measured service

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          ...But: stop calling a box that you can get shipped to your door a "cloud."
                          Maybe he was confusing his "cloud in a box" with cloud in a bottle

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            If I ran Canonical, I'd immediately cancel all software projects infected with not-invented-here syndrome (that is, everything on this list not involving higher-level mobile and cloud stuff) and use the resulting left over cash and get into hardware business big time....
                            They seem to get around to killing most of those projects themselves. Their "cloud", UbuntuOne, to which I was a subscriber, was canceled out from under me. Baazar, the version control system, has lost to git for both commercial and non-commercial use. A lot of others on that list have faded away or have been dropped. But, they still don't seem to be able to see the forst for the trees.

Comment

UbuntuOne was a distraction. They should never have gone into that business. In fact, Canonical really isn't good on the services side of anything.

Their enterprise grade cloud stuff is pretty good. Cloud-init solves some thorny problems pretty well and has managed to attract the interests of other distributions. Landscape is a decent management platform if you want to maximize the value of your paid Canonical support contract. Juju appears to be getting some traction now because it abstracts certain of the manual stuff you'd have to do with Puppet and Chef. Canonical may not grok the services model, but they do a fine job providing the plumbing for others to use.

It seems that when Canonical pushes their own alternatives to good things that already exist (X, Wayland, SysVinit, systemd, Bazaar, etc.), they screw it up royally. But when they find niches where no good solution exists, they do well. Similarly, they seem to accidentally discover things that people really, really want -- like their phone and this cloud-in-a-box thing. Surely, someone should be noticing this trend? And then figure out how to milk it? Hey, Mark -- hire me as your CWTFO

Comment

Working...
                              X