X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Improv, Tablet Projects Officially Axed

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/07/k...fficially-axed

Announcing the ‘wrap up’ in an e-mail sent to backers of the Improv ARM-based development board the team suggests that the FOSS community is ‘not ready’ to put its weight behind the ‘pressing issue of hardware freedom’, adding:
    “We greatly appreciate everyone’s support, whether it was purchases, donations or words of wisdom and encouragement. There was simply not enough support to make the project work, despite having fully functional, production ready devices and a strong commitment to succeed.”
    Partial refunds are now being issued to those who pre-ordered a device, with the team hoping to provide full refunds at a later date.

The more people using Linux & FOSS the less support it has?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Yeah....this seems like a rather dumb move.... and I know I have NO CLUE about their reasoning...

It would SEEM that if "we" really want "Linux" and particularly KDE to "go mainstream"....that this would be a way to do it...

I mean if there is a hardware vendor EVEN CLOSELY DESIRING to produce a piece of hardware espousing FOSS or even..."Linux".... that they should be supported....

"fully functional device"

Now that my finances are finally straightened out I had figured that I would not continue waiting for the stuff to be ported to my particular tablet, a MyEebo...and was just going to get one of those tables when they went on sale..

but, again...I have no clue about the reasoning.........

woodmuchappreciativeforANYworkdonesmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jul 10, 2014, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X