Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the ONE thing that you always customize on your OS?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the ONE thing that you always customize on your OS?

I remember back at #! the big deal was, and still is I guess, customizing conky, others like to customize fonts, others the kicker, or others the background or splash image,

Or....do you customize a lot of things...

or, just leave it stock,

just an idle question on an idle day.

woodidlesmoke

Quite a few things. The Splash, Default Fonts the kicker and I even customize grub splash.

Happy 4th!!

Comment

LOL ,,,,the ONE thing ,,,,,,,well if just 1 ,,,,,it would be terminal font color ,,,,,,cant stand glaring white on black,,,,,,,,,,,then all white background color I can to dim things down a bit.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes, I change the terminal to Green on Black.

Comment

I talk to it.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
            Yes, I change the terminal to Green on Black.
            Green on Black on the laptop ,,,Red on Black on the desktop

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
            I talk to it.
            Yes .......but dose it answer you ,,,,,,,,

really though ,,, it go's kinda like this ,,,,,, (boredom*time)+ambition=customization amount .................... so the older the installation the more stuff that has been altered

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I always change the window snapping zones, one of the first things Steve helped me with

Old habits die hard, and I'm used to throwing windows against either edge of the screen and getting a half-sized window; the default has a zone about 25% of each edge at the top and bottom that will give you a quarter-size window, which is very rarely what I actually want.

Code:
              feathers-mcgraw@Hobbs-T440s:~/.kde/share/config$ cat kwinrc
              [$Version]
              update_info=kwin_remove_effects.upd:kwin4.7_effects

[Compositing]
              AnimationSpeed=3
              Backend=XRender
              Enabled=true
              GraphicsSystem=native
              OpenGLIsUnsafe=false

[Desktops]
              Number=1

[Effect-BoxSwitch]
              TabBox=false
              TabBoxAlternative=false

[Effect-Zoom]
              InitialZoom=1

[TabBox]
              ListMode=0
              ShowTabBox=true

[Windows]
              [B]ElectricBorderCornerRatio=0[/B]
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I put the yawp weather app on my desktop, add quicklaunch to the panel and populate it with kcalc, k3b,dolphin,ksysmon, kconsole,muon,kate,system settings, libreoffice, stellarium and firefox. Then I shrink the panel in about 1/4" from both ends, and make it a little taller so the icons in quicklaunch are a little bigger. I also set up kmail and Conky.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I do a LOT--but I've done the same things so many times, it's basically by rote at this point! I know I'll miss some things, but here's what I can think of:

. change default fonts and font sizes
                  . install my favorite icon pack
                  . install widget style QtCurve--and then customize its ZILLION choices
                  . add a trackball, change clicking options
                  . add a desktop cube--with nine desktops, an image as its background, different wallpaper on each desktop
                  . add shortcuts to my taskbar for the 10-ish apps I use the most
                  . get rid of EVERYTHING on my desktops! I like to see my beautiful wallpaper, not a bunch of icons and widgets
                  . add the yaWP weather app, Luna, and Eyes to my taskbar
                  . change the colors on Konsole to bold black on pale yellow
                  Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Jul 05, 2014, 12:04 PM.
                  Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I do a lot, but the most important for me are the Icon-Task Manager and the sound profile.

Comment

I turn off that stupid blue glow around the windows that kde defaults to.......

Comment

Originally posted by bendy View Post
                        I turn off that stupid blue glow around the windows that kde defaults to.......
                        LOL, thanks for that, I can't unsee it now I know...
                        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I like the glow...lets you know what window is active.

Comment

I customize lots, and lots, but the first thing is install vim and firefox.

Then, I install qtcurve (description: highly configurable style) and change the scroll bar width to 7 pixels and bright yellow-green.
                            Regards, John Little

Comment

First, I set anti-aliasing to slight for the fonts (unless I'm messing around with something other than Kubuntu). That's always first. As for other stuff, then I install VLC, get the evil MS fonts (I share docs a lot with people stuck on Windows) and I get the restricted extras for whatever VLC didn't add. Then I get to changing the theme, wallpaper, and, well, it goes on a bit more.

Comment

Working...
                              X