This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
    Because it's FTTC your connection speed depends on the length and quality of copper cable between your house and the green junction box.
    I knew that already. Do you also teach your granny how to suck eggs?

One more thing you should know about PlusNet is they do traffic management, so if you torrent loads in peak times they'll restrict your bandwidth so it doesn't affect other people. I didn't like the idea of this but I don't think it has affected me - torrents download at about 5-6Mb/s.

Hope that helps!
    Well it's nice to know about their data management policy, I won't be signing up with them then. I'm looking for truly unlimited downloads with a reliable connection. Oh well I'll just have to keep looking. I wish I could sign up to Virgin Media and get their fibre optic broadband but my landlord won't let me have Virgin Media install their line/equipment in the property.
    Last edited by Guest; Jul 06, 2014, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Should I have known that you knew that...? And do you think every other person reading this definitely knows that?

It's quite an important part of the response, since what is true for me may not be true for you unless you are also reasonably close to the box.

VirginMedia is horribly unreliable in my experience (3 years in 3 different properties). Some of that is their "HomeHub" which requires rebooting at least once a week to function properly. You have to use the hub (at least in modem mode), and i think the modem part is the problem, so connecting your own router to it doesn't help much. It can't just be the hub though, the speed was highly variable and we had a fortnight the last year where the speed was so slow we were better off with 3g.
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
        ... To for me the most annoying aspect is the constant line drops (disconnections) where it feels like I am constantly resetting the router to get a connection.
        That sounds like a bad modem/router. If the service is going up and down, the modem should be reconnecting automatically without a reset.

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          That sounds like a bad modem/router. If the service is going up and down, the modem should be reconnecting automatically without a reset.

Regards, John Little
          Yes that is probably true, TalkTalk are not known for providing good quality equipment. Take a look at the forums over at their own web site http://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/U...dband/bd-p/111

@Feathers McGraw: You say that you had bad experience with Virgin Media's fibre optic service and you had to reset the router once a week? With Talk Talk I am having to reset the router 4/5 times per day. This was why I wanted to know what plusnet was like, is their equipment more reliable?

In fact I am seriously thinking of cancelling aDSL and just using 4G

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
            @Feathers McGraw: You say that you had bad experience with Virgin Media's fibre optic service and you had to reset the router once a week? With Talk Talk I am having to reset the router 4/5 times per day. This was why I wanted to know what plusnet was like, is their equipment more reliable?
            They provide a standard BT modem and a Technicolor TG582n router.

I have rebooted the modem twice in a year and a half. Not sure about the router, I never used it- I didn't want to flash OpenWrt onto hardware that wasn't mine so I bought my own, a TP-link WDR3600, which is great.
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

My setup:
              • Floating IP assigned via DHCP from Comcast to the WAN side of the router behind the cable modem.
              • DynDNS registration to connect my domain name to currently-assigned IP address.
              • Internal DNS server authoritative for inside domain (rileyz.local) and LAN address block 192.168.0.0/24.
              • Statically assigned addresses to servers, printers, switches, wireless AP, router.
              • Internal DHCP server to assign addresses to LAN clients from the block.
              • Automatic updates configured on DNS server for A and PTR records of all dynamic clients.

Comment

I have a floating ip and simply use a no-ip addy where needed
                To understand true frustration, one must only go so far as to install Linux!!! and then came Kubuntu and the World is at peace again

Comment

I use a floating ip with NO-IP workaround for my torrent server on raspberry pi! Pretty simple to setup with a fair router that has the setup for dynamic IP services.

Comment

So were those of you who are using no IP dynamic DNS affected by Microsoft's recent actions?

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/0...-they-thinking
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

And again why I strive so hard to get away from MS software.

Comment

funniest commercial i had seen in years was microsoft saying Google was proprietary advertising bing

Comment

So were those of you who are using no IP dynamic DNS affected by Microsoft's recent actions?

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/0...-they-thinking
                          Yes I have for like 5 days my NO-ip resolution was down, although I just found the records of what was the public IP that ni-ip had engaged and access it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by StarWolf View Post
                            funniest commercial i had seen in years was microsoft saying Google was proprietary advertising bing
                            Well, at the risk of getting run off this forum, the best commercial I ever saw was Microsoft's XBox commerical:
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

OMG!!! That was just way to funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, I can see why it was banned.
                              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ah yes, I remember when that commercial came out. I know it was banned in the UK, not sure about other countries. I never saw it here in the US but I'm not much of a television watcher anyway. Reactions were, as you'd expect, polarized -- some writers loved it, others loathed it. Personally, I think the haters are just nattering nabobs of negativity.

Comment

Working...
                                X