This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 14.04 and Steam+LinuxOS

My 13 year old grandson wanted to try a hi-res game similar to Minecraft called "Castle Story", sold by Steam.
    I signed on to my rarely used Steam account and downloaded the deb package version and installed it with QApt Package Installer, which installed a couple dozen additional dependencies without any problems.

I ran the program using the "Play" button associated with Castle Story in my Steam Library. It ran like a charm and is lightening fast. I bought a copy as a gift for my grandson and installed it on his Kubuntu 14.04 (He's been running Kubuntu every since I gave him that 17" Acer laptop a couple years ago.) It ran equally well on his laptop.
    This afternoon I fired up the server version and we engaged in some competition. Castle Story involves controlling some little yellow doughboys called "Bricktrons". You dig and tunnel to mine rock and crystals. The rock converts wot stone when you accumulate enough of it. The crystals are stored in barrels. You have to send Bricktrons to mine and cut trees to produce the raw resources. Then you use construction tools to lay out 'blue prints" of things you want to build, starting with pallets on which the raw materials that are harvested are placed. There is a giant blue crystal which you want to protect from the waves of blue minions that come about ever 15 minutes and try to kill your Bricktrons and tear down your buildings. There are many videos on YouTube showing how to play it and what you can do. It is a visually beautiful game and that plays very well on Kubuntu.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.
Working...
X