This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovering Windows 7 - How?

I bought a second hand Compaq desktop pc which had Windows 7 installed. When I get it home I removed Windows 7 with Linux, now I would like to recover Windows 7. Is there any way I can "undelete" Windows 7?

Can you find the Manual on-line -- see if there is a recovery key on the keyboard that would start it up and do a restore (to 'original factory set Windows 7' or some-such)? (A recent Asus has this feature.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

or, a key (F2, F9) to interrupt POST, access BIOS, and select a troubleshooting or recovery option (reset, etc.).
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

this would depend on if it has a recovery partition or not ,,,,,,,,,if no recovery partition , you cant restore

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          this would depend on if it has a recovery partition or not ,,,,,,,,,if no recovery partition , you cant restore

VINNY
          Right after installation Win7 always asks if you want to create two sets of CDs, one is the recovery CD and the other is a backup of your installed system. The recovery option usually asks you to install the recovery CD. IF you don't have them (matched to your GUID) you are out of luck.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Right after installation Win7 always asks if you want to create two sets of CDs, one is the recovery CD and the other is a backup of your installed system. The recovery option usually asks you to install the recovery CD. IF you don't have them (matched to your GUID) you are out of luck.
            O ,,,, ya,,,,, the make your own option ,,,,,,,,, teh , I never tried that approach .

the few boxes/laptops I have spent $ on I made sure came with restoration CD/DVD's ,,,,,,and I'm pretty sure 1 box had a partition you could boot to that did the hole recovery no CD/DVD required.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

"I'm pretty sure 1 box had a partition you could boot to that did the hole recovery no CD/DVD required."

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of here. But, as you say, it assumes the partitions are still there--not erased or damaged.

Comment

The whole hard disk was formatted when installing Linux so all previous partitions (if there were any, I didn't check how the hard disk was set up). Just wondering if there was a utility for recovering formatted disks to recover data.

Comment

Maybe I should tell the police that there were illegal images on the hard disk and let their forensic team recover previous files, what do you think? Good idea?

Comment

Unless TestDisk would restore the original partition table and scheme. If so, there would be a question whether the recovery partition would be identified and were already overwritten or damaged. The companion package, PhotoRec, might locate some data files on that disk. I mean, what the heck, try running TestDisk--see what you see there on that puppy.

Comment

Not "undleleting" but...

Assuming there is a license key on the machine you can legally download an ISO from here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-1c8486a46ebf

I'm assuming you can still get th drivers from the manufactures website. Obviously that won't return your machine to day 1 state - it will probably be better as it will be entirely without crapware

Comment

Working...
                      X