This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size of installed RAM vs what KInfocenter reports

Okay. Why, when I have 8 GB of RAM installed, does KInfocenter report 7.60 GB?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KInfocenter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	648199
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Your brain is thinking in gigabytes, while KDE is thinking gibibytes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte vs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Jun 01, 2014, 11:00 PM.

Comment

You can change this at System Settings -> Locale -> Country/Region & Language -> Other.

Comment

Cool. Thank you.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Oh -- don't ever go around saying "gibibytes" at a geek party or whatever. I promise you'll get the snot kicked out of you

Comment

Now THAT bit of advice (party protocol) is helpful
            Actually, I have never liked the "bi" business. It even sounds a little, shall we say, light off the tongue ...
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Was wondering about that! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                never liked the "bi" business. It even sounds a little, shall we say, light off the tongue ...
                Truly, they are bits that swing both ways! BWAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Comment

Well, that just simply sends gi-bi-bytes up my spine ... I just love those powers of two, don't you?
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I just love those powers of two, don't you?
                      Three is better.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                        Your brain is thinking in gigabytes, while KDE is thinking gibibytes.
                        While this surely explains why KInfocenter says 8,161,075,00 = 7.6 GiB, it does not answer the question as to why it does not show as 8 GiB, which is very likely to be the amount of RAM in Snowhog's computer.
                        I would guess that the computer has on-board graphics, and some of the RAM is dedicated to that.
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Just waking up, too early here to poke around in my empty component packaging/manuals, but I suspect you have to read the specs that came with the memory modules--ditto for things like flash drives--to see how the manufacturer measures and advertises the memory specification, powers of 2, or powers of 10. Seems I recall this is an issue for flash drives. (Then, you still gotta minus the overhead-system or reserve memory used by the manufacturer.)

Comment

For example, Crucial memory:

"Gigabyte An amount of memory equal to 1024 megabytes (1,073,741,824 bytes) of information. Abbreviated GB. Other common DRAM units of measurement are kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, and terabytes. Because bytes contain 8 bits of information, gigabytes are naturally larger than gigabits."

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-glossary

- - - - -

Powers of 2 for Crucial, then. I suspect that's usually the case; the term gigabyte is misused--as an industry norm. But, as mentioned above, you must still check to see how much of that theoretical capacity is reported in your utility.

Comment

... the term gigabyte is misused--as an industry norm...
                              For DRAM the term gigabyte still commonly refers to 2^30. But that's not the point, for addressing reasons it does not make sense to make RAM in anything other than powers of 2; in my admittedly limited (but long) experience I've never heard of RAM being made otherwise. The OP's computer's RAM is very unlikely to be 7.6 GiB.
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                              X