• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A reply from Tom Wheeler of the FCC

Here is my email to the FCC and Tom Wheeler's response:

Re: CIMS00004128567 - Do Not End Net Neutrality
    To: greygeek77@gmail.com
    Thank you very much for contacting us about the ongoing Open Internet proceeding. We're hoping to hear from as many people as possible about this critical issue, and so I'm very glad that we can include your thoughts and opinions.

I'm a strong supporter of the Open Internet, and I will fight to keep the internet open. Thanks again for sharing your views with me.

Tom Wheeler
    Chairman
    Federal Communications Commission

------- Original Message -------
    Subject: Do Not End Net Neutrality

To: Chairman Wheeler and the rest of the Federal Communications Commission,
    We want action for democratic media, not platitudes as smokescreens for corporate domination of the Internet. We want net neutrality.

Mr. Wheeler, your role in the past as a lobbyist for those very corporations which stand to gain the most financially suggests that by this action your ties to those organizations is not as neutral as you would have us think.

This whole thing smells to high heaven!

Jerr L Kreps
    Lincoln, NE 68516 US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Wheeler

Thomas E. Wheeler is the current Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, appointed by President Obama and confirmed by the U.S. Senate in November, 2013. Prior to working at the FCC, Wheeler worked as a venture capitalist and lobbyist for the cable and wireless industry, with positions including President of the National Cable Television Association (NCTA) and CEO of the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA).
    Sure, a two tiered Internet would still be "open", so with a not so clever choice of words Wheeler dodges the central issue: packet equality. Snake oil salesman, just like his boss.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

You really expected something different from a Federal Government bureaucrat? Ultimately, our Federal Government and it's overreaching bureaucracy (the "shadow government") is as (if not more) corrupt than many countries they decry as 'oppressive of it's people'.

Washington D.C. is a festering, putrid, cancerous, ugly sore on the body of the United States. I fear that the only treatment necessary to ensure that the body that is the United States of America isn't killed by this infection, is excision; full and complete removal.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

"full and complete removal"
      +1
      Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        You really expected something different from a Federal Government bureaucrat? Ultimately, our Federal Government and it's overreaching bureaucracy (the "shadow government") is as (if not more) corrupt than many countries they decry as 'oppressive of it's people'.
        Nope. I got back exactly what I expected I would. A forked tongue liar who is still working for the industry he is supposedly trying to regulate. It is the same with all federal bureaucracies. They are all headed by management types from the industries the agencies are supposed to regulate for the good of Americans, and when their corrupt service time is over they return back to those agencies, receiving "perks" for a job well done. The pharmacies/ag corps control the FDA, the telecoms/entertainment control the FCC, the greens control the EPA, banks control the SEC, etc... About the only agency not controlled by the industry they are mandated to control is the firearms branch of the BATF. It's controlled by the DOJ, which is in the hands of the Left in this country.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Washington D.C. is a festering, putrid, cancerous, ugly sore on the body of the United States. I fear that the only treatment necessary to ensure that the body that is the United States of America isn't killed by this infection, is excision; full and complete removal.
        True, but removing it is becoming impossible.

"... just as powerful, just as strong, just as well funded..."

They will have the drone, snipers, blackhawks, BP vests, automatic assault weapons, armored vehicles, armored stopping points manned by people who don't care about any of the Bill Of Rights. Think I'm wearing a tin-foil hat?

But, hey, it's for your "safety".

Some choice tidbits from Lincoln
        “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.”
        Abraham Lincoln

“The philosophy of the schoolroom in one generation is the philosophy of government in the next.”
        Abraham Lincoln

“You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence”
        Abraham Lincoln

“If this country is ever demoralized, it will come from trying to live without work.”
        Abraham Lincoln

“Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.”
        Abraham Lincoln

“Our safety, our liberty, depends upon preserving the Constitution of the United States as our fathers made it inviolate. The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”
        Abraham Lincoln

“You can’t make a weak man strong by making a strong man weak”
        Abraham Lincoln

“I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”
        Abraham Lincoln

“You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.”
        Abraham Lincoln

“No man is good enough to govern another man without that other’s consent.”
        Abraham Lincoln

“These [the armed forces] are not our reliance against a resumption of tyranny in our fair land. All of them may be turned against our liberties, without making us stronger or weaker for the struggle. Our reliance is in the love of liberty which God has planted in our bosoms. Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as the heritage of all men, in all lands, every where.... Familiarize yourselves with the chains of bondage, and you are preparing your own limbs to wear them. Accustomed to trample on the rights of those around you, you have lost the genius of your own independence, and become the fit subjects of the first cunning tyrant who rises.”
        Abraham Lincoln

“I generally don't trust quotes from the Internet.”
        Abraham Lincoln
        Many paraphrased derivatives of this have often become attributed to Franklin:
        • They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.
          He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security.
          He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither.
          People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.
          If we restrict liberty to attain security we will lose them both.
          Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
          He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither.
          Those who would trade in their freedom for their protection deserve neither.
          Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.
        Last edited by Snowhog; May 25, 2014, 12:59 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

“I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”
          Abraham Lincoln
          Wow, did not know he said that. Even then it was obvious what the problem would be.

Comment

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
            Origin

Absolute monarchies are those in which all power is given to or, as is more often the case, taken by, the monarch. Examples of absolute power corrupting are Roman emperors (who declared themselves gods) and Napoleon Bonaparte (who declared himself an emperor).

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely""Absolute power corrupts absolutely" arose as part of a quotation by the expansively named and impressively hirsute John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902). The historian and moralist, who was otherwise known simply as Lord Acton, expressed this opinion in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887:

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

The text is a favourite of collectors of quotations and is always included in anthologies. If you are looking for the exact "power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" wording, then Acton is your man. He didn't invent the idea though; quotations very like it had been uttered by several authors well before 1887. Primary amongst them was another English politician with no shortage of names - William Pitt the Elder, Earl of Chatham and British Prime Minister from 1766 to 1778, who said something similar in a speech to the UK House of Lords in 1770:

"Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it"

Acton is likely to have taken his lead from the writings of the French republican poet and politician, again a generously titled individual - Alphonse Marie Louis de Prat de Lamartine. An English translation of Lamartine's essay France and England: a Vision of the Future was published in London in 1848 and included this text:

It is not only the slave or serf who is ameliorated in becoming free... the master himself did not gain less in every point of view,... for absolute power corrupts the best natures.

Whether it is Lamartine or his anonymous English translator who can claim to have coined 'absolute power corrupts' we can't be sure, but we can be sure that it wasn't Lord Acton.

-- Taken from http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a...bsolutely.html

Comment

“I generally don't trust quotes from the Internet.”
              ― Abraham Lincoln
              I didn't know the internet was available in his day? Unless it was from a different Abraham Lincoln you quoted there.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                I didn't know the internet was available in his day? Unless it was from a different Abraham Lincoln you quoted there.
                When ever one fetches quotes from the Internet someone ALWAYS remarks that quotes from the Internet cannot be trusted as a way of countering your point of discussion. That was a preemptive strike!

Comment

Take a good, long look at the reply Jerry received. "Thanks again for sharing your views with me," Wheeler says. From the email address DoNotReply@fcc.gov!

Jerry, you basically got a bag of shopt tossed onto your porch by the FCC. At least they didn't set it on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    ... Jerry, you basically got a bag of shopt tossed onto your porch by the FCC. At least they didn't set it on fire.
                    Exactly, Steve:
                    I'm a strong supporter of the Open Internet, and I will fight to keep the internet open. Thanks again for sharing your views with me.

Uh huh. With friends like Wheeler the Internet needs no enemies. They didn't set their bag of dog do-do on fire but they set me on fire.

Comment

Working...
                    X