This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    Any pacman GUI? I'm getting too old to remember a bunch of switches.

EDIT: I downloaded the 1.6GB KOS ISO and installed it as a guest OS in VB.

The install was very clean and fast (since I ran it directly from the ISO on the HD and nnot as a DVD)
    I changed to the Oxygen style and the desktop and Dolphin look more like what I like. However, when I later restarted the guest OS and logged in I got a black screen instead of the Plasma5 desktop. I used Alt-F2 to open a command line and ran System Settings. Resetting the style back to Breeze and Medina, logging out and back in, restored my desktop. Still some bugs.
    System settings in KaOS aren't as populated, especially at the detail level (the tabs) as Kubuntu's is.
    Octopi is a nice GUI package manager. It didn't take long at all to understand it and get used to it. However the number of packages available is very low. Too low, IMO.

Using their own source and kernel they should be able to integrate the desktop to the devices and drivers more tightly. Will be testing to see if that is a valid assumption.
    Basing on their own source and kernel puts them in the same category a Debian. Staying in the stable release and rolling it forward as bugs are worked out should keep one on a stable platform. The big question is can they operate with the offerings available in the repository.

Final analysis: I see no reason to use KaOS since KDE is available on Debian's Jessie and their repository is well populated. Also, most third party suppliers make deb versions of their packages.
    Well you've tried KaOS now try Manjaro with plasma5. You can download it here -> http://manjaro.github.io/download/ just click on the KDE link for 32 bit or 64 bit. Manjaro has the added benefit of being able to use Arch's AUR so if you thgink that the official Manjaro repository is lacking then search AUR.

Comment

Hummmm ... Supported by Blue-Systems. I'll have to check it out
      so far, however, Debian's Jessie KDE is so Kubuntu like it would be tough to beat by any distro but Kubuntu.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

KaOS is not bad, it is a little too arch based for me maybe... when it claims to be independent.
        It is a great starting point for those that would be willing to compile what they don't have available in the repos.
        Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

KaOS is too limited with no 32-bit packages, I'm running Manjaro- and really like it
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
          X